Warning for Cell Phone and Tablet users

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just wanted to give cell phone and wi-fi enabled tablet users to be careful when you are close to or next to the border either Canada or Mexico. Why, because when using it you could 'hit' a tower in the other country and be charged with international use fees. Just wanted to give yall a heads up. You might want to look into an international plan just in case. I don't know if it has happened to any of you but it is a possibility.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Thats good information Jim and something that we don't always think of. When we go to the RGV, I try to be real careful with my cell phone when we get near the border. I'd regret it if someone happened to call me and got stuck with an "international" call.

sJv

Apple's devices have a setting that will not allow automatic connection to a foreign cellular network for data. This is set by default. On the first iPhone, which didn't have this setting, the iPhone would periodically connect to the foreign network to fetch mail, etc, and users were left with a HUGE bill! This setting was added in the first IOS update. I would imagine Android has something similar.

Not sure about voice calls on phones, though. Do they automatically connect? I recall getting a text message stating that I'm connected to a foreign network, but I don't recall if I had to do something to allow voice calls or not.

-steve

beardedone

Beardedone
This has happened here in Alberta near the U.S. border several years ago and a local TV station did a consumer alert story on it. The phone companies were not forgiving either. Now my wife and I keep the phone off except for an emergency and use the internet when we reach our destination.