ATF: MPG - Poor TV Antennae Signal

mtran868

I have a 2011 MPG 180. I have a round rooftop antennae. There's also a signal boost button inside that I turn on. The channels don't all come in very well. Some channels are ok but others will go in and out. When I install a rabbit ear inside without booster, the signal is a little better.

I would think the external antennae with booster would be better than inside rabbit ears without booster. Any ideas what's going on?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
mtran868 have you tried turning the antenna to get a better signal?

pegmikef

That sounds like the omni directional antenna I had on my Edge so you probably can't turn it. One problem a lot of folks have encountered is that the cable connectors are poorly crimped. You might take of the wall plate and inspect the cables to make sure they are properly crimped and screwed in.

wdk450

MTRAN868:
This is a warranty issue if you want to address it that way. Many postings have also posted that the coax has been shorted out due to connector installation or cable installation issues. This can be checked by disconnecting the antenna cable at the amplifier box AND the rooftop antenna connection, then putting an ohmmeter between the center and outer conductors. There should be no connection (open circuit, infinite ohms) measured here.

FoxHunt

What stations can you get with the antennae?? I was under the impression that with the digital conversion, there were no more analog stations being broadcast. Are you all using a digital converter box to get stations??

jasons09cyclone

If you have a digital tv like any flat screen you can get almost all the same stations that was once on analog tv... As for the antenna I had a huge increase in a brand called.. jack tv... It's much smaller And takes 10 mins to swap out with the standard antenna...

FoxHunt

Jason,

On your swap, did you just swap the head? (about $40 on eBay) or did you but the whole set-up (about $140ish)?? I've seen posts that have knobs to turn the antenna and some with lights to indicate the signal strength.

Which mod did you go fo? I'm very interested in doing this, but would like to not spend the extra money if swapping the head does the same thing. Do you need to be able to rotate your antenna or is it ok in a fixed position?

jasons09cyclone

I just swapped the head there was only three push pins with e clips holding the head on.. The functionality is exactly the same as far as being able to maneuver the antennae from the inside and the stock power amplifier cord plugs right into the new one..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD