Prospective owner question

jasond

Cyclone questions

We are looking at a 4012 Cyclone to replace our WW Full Throttle and have a few questions. Overall the coach seems well built and the floorplan fits our family well. The questions I have are weight related. I noticed that the trailer has 15" tires and the axles are rated at 5200lbs, this does not seem like enough. The GVW on the trailer is 18000, my WW is 17000 and we were over that with a dry trailer. Loaded we end up at 22000 with 16600 lbs on the axles. Both trailers seem to be about the same size so I have a hard time believing the tags! Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind 15" tires? How about the 5200lb axles? I like everything else about this trailer, but those two things may stop me from buying it. Thanks!

Dirt1st

Part of the weight of the trailer is carried by the pickup (the pin weight). Using the numbers you provided, 18,000 lbs gross vehicle weight for the trailer, and 5,200 lbs per axle, that means that the pin or hitch weight would be at least 2,400 lbs to keep from overloading the axles. The Cyclones are heavy, I have a 3210. The literature says they should weigh about 10,900 and have a pin weight of about 2,100 lbs. I went straight to some scales from the dealer. My 3210 as delivered, no fluids, only propane, weighed about 12,350 and had a pin weight of 2,600 lbs.

Scott

I just double checked the last 3210 we weighed and it was 11,540 lbs. dry and the hitch was 2,650 lbs. A lot of the fluctuation has to do with what options are on the coach - check your option packages. Some have to do with updates and changes in the product that show up before the specs get updated on the web. The overall GVWR on your coach is 18,000 I think, so you should still be within specs. I'll try to do some digging to see what specs/weights need updated.
ST