Good Sam extended warranty-a good deal? Does ERS on auto or RV policy work?

k-f-Indiana

I tried to find this info in previous treads, but had no luck with my particular question. Does Good Sam warranty cover everything or just this and that? And are they prompt & reliable when you need them?

Also, we currently have GS ERS, and have called them a few times, but they took so long to get there that we took care of the problems ourself. My question, does anyone use the ERS on their auto or RV policy and get good service? We have Progressive on the fiver, and I believe it includes ERS, but not sure how good it would be.

Any of your experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've got the Good Sam ERS policy, and it covers the rig, the truck, my wife's vehicle, and probably our bicycles, too. I've used it once, at the Goshen rally, to fix a flat on the truck's inside dually. They had a tow truck out within 30 minutes on a Saturday evening and the job was done quickly, professionally, and in the rain. The young fellow even replaced my seven plastic gated valve caps with steel ones he had on hand, no charge. Seems that was the cause of the air loss.

I don't have our rig on our auto policies, but insured by another carrier that knows RV's.

danemayer

I have the Good Sam ERS and also the Extended Warranty. Had to use the ERS last February and got a reasonably good response. I already had truck coverage from GMC but the Good Sam selling point for me is that if the truck breaks and needs a tow, they'll also tow the 5'er rather than leave it on the side of the road for you to figure out how to deal with.

Haven't had to use the Extended Warranty yet.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have Progressive ERS, and used them to change a tire on the 5ver. We were in a small town, and they had to send some one from a larger town. The call I initially made was to an automated system. A real person called back within ten min to get all the details. They told me within 1 hour someone would be there, and would call to they were on their way. They called 15 min later, and arrived within the 1 hour time frame. While waiting, I got two automated "just checking" calls to make sure service had arrived or not. We had an added issue in that we could not remove our spare from the trailer, as the lock would not open. The service tech took my DH to two stores to find bolt cutters to cut the cable/lock off to get at the tire. :) Then, he changed the tire. Only bad part was that we did have to use some blocking and a jack from our truck to assist, as the service tech's jack would not lift the trailer enough to get the wheel off the ground. Overall it put us 2 hours off our schedule... Not bad! That evening they called with a survey to make sure I was happy with the service!

E

wdk450

I might be wrong on this, but I seem to remember old postings on the extended warranty that said that the frame and suspension weren't covered . You might check on this.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Used my Good Sam ERS lthis year to get my auto towed. They were prompt and got there within the time they said they would - no questions asked.

lwmcguir

I might be wrong on this, but I seem to remember old postings on the extended warranty that said that the frame and suspension weren't covered . You might check on this.

If you find an extended warranty that covers major issues like you mention, let us know. We checked all of them out and for Coaches you might as well go with the manufacturers warranties and pay as you go for anything else. Otherwise you are simply paying ahead and for folks that need to finance this then maybe it is not a bad deal. Extended warrantly folks aren't in business to loose money and so they are very careful about the risk they take.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I can tell you that from a service perspective that Good Sam is one of our preferred insurers. If we find additional work after the claim has been approved, it's never an issue. They pay promptly. They seem to cover more than the other companies do. IE, we just had a claim for an air conditioner with another company. They replaced the air conditioner, but not the new control system that the new style A/C MUST use as the other style is no longer available. Customer was on the hook for the additional charge and his deductible as the company considered it an "upgrade". Also had a microwave repair where the company covered the part, but not the labor to remove, reinstall or fix the microwave. Still waiting on that payment from July.

Whatever you get, read the fine print on exclusions. That will tell you more about the policy than anything else.

Paul & Nan

We have just used Good Sam ERS and extended warranty. The ERS covered over $1500 to tow our Bighorn on a flatbed when we lost brake assembly, hub, tire and rim on I40-I240 junction in Memphis.Apparently, according to the repair facililty the bearing failed. They are working on what will be covered for parts and labor. That is after they covered our water heater about 3 weeks before. We had the month from H--l in November.

k-f-Indiana

These posts have been very helpful. You have mentioned points we had not considered. We're still interested in any experiences you have had with the Good Sam extended warranty.

Paul & Nan, sorry to hear about your problem. Sounds serious, and a big nightmare on your trip home. Hope everything works out for you.

k-f-Indiana

I am doing further research on ERS. As mentioned, Good Sam uses Affinity. We have Progressive Ins. on our 5er, and they use Cross Country Automotive Serv. Is anyone familiar with them?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have used the Good Sam ERS (Emergency Road Service) several times and it works great. We won't travel without it. One time when our truck blew an engine we had to have both the truck and RV towed. They towed the RV to an RV park and even called the RV Park to reserve a spot for us. Great service to have.

wingfoot

These posts have been very helpful. You have mentioned points we had not considered. We're still interested in any experiences you have had with the Good Sam extended warranty.

Paul & Nan, sorry to hear about your problem. Sounds serious, and a big nightmare on your trip home. Hope everything works out for you.

I have had the Extended Warranty with Good Sam's. I did not have a good experience. My entry steps broke...No coverage on manual steps, just electric. I had a problem with my air conditioner. It had leaked all the Freon out and would not cool. I had a dealer check it out and told me you really could not add Freon to these type units without putting a Valve in the line and this would, in his opinion, not be worth it (cost+labor). And this would not cure/fix the leak. In essence it would have been more cost effective to replace the unit. It was over five years old.
Good Sam's Extended Warranty said no..."We need to find the leak and will only pay for the repair". Since I had a $150.00 deductible I oped not to have it repaired.

I got the feeling at this point they were trying to do anything to keep from paying a claim.

So, here is what we do..Every year we deposit into escrow the amount of our coverage premium, about $450.00 plus what our deductible would ($600.00). We currently have over $1,200.00 in escrow drawing interest to cover repair issues..

Personally, this works better for us...No hoops to jump thru:)

BTW, we do have their road service and I have used it several times with no problems.