Question about GVWR

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I'm not worried about it but just curious. I have two 7000# axles on my Key Largo and a GVWR of 16250#, is there a problem with too much weight on the axles? (2X7000#=14000# vs GVWR of 16250#) ??? I probably will never fully load the Key Largo to 16240#, but as I said, just curious. Ken

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless you pile bricks over the axles, you won't put that much weight on them, even if you load the trailer to the max. Don't forget, much of the added weight of your "stuff" is forward of the axles, in the basement, front compartment, and bedroom. Our 3670 also has 7000 lb. axles and a GVWR of 16000 lbs. Loaded for travel (empty tanks), the weight on the axles was 5650 lbs. front and 5925 lbs. rear according to the scales at the Goshen rally. Total towing weight of the trailer was 14525 lbs. 2950 lbs. of that was on the pin.

The slight imbalance in my axle loads is probably due to the trailer riding a tad nose high after installing the 5th Airborne pinbox, thus putting more weight on the rear axle. I'll experiment with dropping the hitch head a level to see if it helps. I do have to watch the clearance over the truck bed rails, though. No problem on the roads, but when backing into an uneven/rough grass/dirt site, it might be a factor.

santafesoul

I am certainly don't profess to be an expert on this issue but with a GVWR of 16,250 lbs minus the tounge weight of 2,510 lbs would leave an axle weight of 13,740 lbs. 14,000 lbs of rating for the axles would put you in the ball park.
2,510 lbs

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks John, I figured it was not a problem but I'm bored this morning and idle minds tend to wander. I'm scheduled to pick up my new Key Largo on Jan. 3rd. We're heading south from Kentucky as soon as we get it and plan to spend a couple of weeks in Florida. I've already purchased a Sani-Con system, a water hose reel, a sliding storage tray for the basement and several other things that I've convinced my wife are necessary. I'll be installing this stuff while in Florida. Now I've just got to convince her that I NEED a new truck to safely tow the Key Largo. After all, her safety is more important than my desire for a new truck, right?? Ken

JohnDar

Thanks John, I figured it was not a problem but I'm bored this morning and idle minds tend to wander. I'm scheduled to pick up my new Key Largo on Jan. 3rd. We're heading south from Kentucky as soon as we get it and plan to spend a couple of weeks in Florida. I've already purchased a Sani-Con system, a water hose reel, a sliding storage tray for the basement and several other things that I've convinced my wife are necessary. I'll be installing this stuff while in Florida. Now I've just got to convince her that I NEED a new truck to safely tow the Key Largo. After all, her safety is more important than my desire for a new truck, right?? Ken

If her safety doesn't work, appeal to her natural feminine vanity. Ask her if she wants to be seen driving down the road pulling a gleaming new Landmark Key Largo with some old rust bucket. If necessary, get some brown paint and splash it around your current truck to fool her.

And now to hide from the Queen Hornets I've unleashed upon me. :D

jwv

Re: Question about GVWR a different slant

i am going to buy a cyclone 3210 . dry weight is 10,900 but a much bigger gvwr of 18k. (too much for my truck) f250.
if i load it and weight it at 14k on a scale and have printed proof of my weight would the police care if i showed them this suppossing i were pulled over ?

JohnDar

This has been discussed before and nobody seems to have a first hand account of the police pulling over a 5th wheel travel trailer to check it's weight or "papers." At least, not in this country. Now, if you plow into somebody and the investigation finds you were grossly overweight and your truck couldn't handle it, you may find yourself in a seriously deep pile of black tank effluent.

jnbhobe

i am going to buy a cyclone 3210 . dry weight is 10,900 but a much bigger gvwr of 18k. (too much for my truck) f250.
if i load it and weight it at 14k on a scale and have printed proof of my weight would the police care if i showed them this suppossing i were pulled over ?

If they pull you over for over weight in Pa they need a set of portables or be within 2mi of a scale. Thats the way it has been in the past, it may have changed ? As to your combination question, a late model F-250 has a GVW of 10K and a combination weight of 23.5K. Your truck will weigh about 8K so that leaves you with 15.5K for the loaded trailer. If you keep all your weights in the right places you would be legel at that weight.

GOTTOYS

I have never heard of anyone ever getting pulled over and weighed while pulling an RV nor have I ever heard of anyone ever getting in an accident and having a problem because their trailer was overweight...If your truck and or trailer is wrecked how are they going to weigh it? They would have to do that before it leaves the accident scene..just can't see that ever happening. Not saying that towing more than you should is a good idea...Don

jnbhobe

I agree with Don, Manufacturers have used technoligy to raise the GVW's and GCVW's to get things closer to legal. Trucks are not that much different from prior years say the last 10yr or so, but the way things are made has made them stronger so the GVW's can be raised.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I'm also gonna agree with John and John and Don. Legal/insurance issues are not the main concern. Safety is. Now a couple of things in specific, since others have already pointed out the stuff you hear about insurance and the weight police is almost always second hand unconfirmed rumor.

GCWR - Unless your state requires you to have your truck's GCWR on your vehicle registration, how on earth would there be a legal issue? Manufacturer's brochures don't constitute legal documents, only the DOT door sticker matters. Of course, different states have max GCWR ratings for different classes of licenses, but I don't think that has anything to do with a specific model of truck.

Insurance - My liability insurance will absolutely cover me in an accident regardless of whether I'm overloaded, speeding, driving impaired, driving on bald tires or anything else. I'll bet yours will to.

JohnDar

Your liability insurance will cover you up to the limit of the coverage you pay for. Be found at fault for seriously injuring or killing someone because you exceeded the documented capabilities of your rig/TV and see how good that will be. Your vehicles will become evidence and any lawyer fresh out of school would be all over it looking for a big payday for his client or their decendants. It's unlikely you'd be allowed to remove anything from the vehicles until the investigation is over. The folks at 1-800-LEE FREE will be salivating.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Your liability insurance will cover you up to the limit of the coverage you pay for. Be found at fault for seriously injuring or killing someone because you exceeded the documented capabilities of your rig/TV and see how good that will be. Your vehicles will become evidence and any lawyer fresh out of school would be all over it looking for a big payday for his client or their decendants. It's unlikely you'd be allowed to remove anything from the vehicles until the investigation is over. The folks at 1-800-LEE FREE will be salivating.

Can't argue with that John. There's always a personal injury attorney out there looking for a way to maximize his client's (and his) payoff. That can be good or bad depending on which side you are on. I was mainly thinking about the comments I've seen to the effect that insurance companies will deny coverage if you're overweight (not you personally, just your truck :).) Heck, if my insurance company could deny liabilty claims based on stupid actions, they'd hardly ever have to pay out.