Day/Night Shade question

RuralPastor

Has anyone had a problem with the "spools" on the bottom of the day/night shades loosening? If so, any repair ideas that worked? A couple of mine are stripped out, preventing the spool from staying tight. Thanks. Mark

pegmikef

I'm not sure what you are calling spools. I have a North Trail 26 LRSS and there are round anchors in the wall where the shade strings terminate. I had to move one because it was stripped as well. All they do in my rig is maintain the tension on the string that controls the shade itself. Loosen the string a little and the shade moves up and down a little easier. Too loose, the shade won't stay up. Too tight and the shade is hard to move up and down. If you have the same thing, you can move the spools up or down a little (provided there is a little extra string around the spool).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Has anyone had a problem with the "spools" on the bottom of the day/night shades loosening? If so, any repair ideas that worked? A couple of mine are stripped out, preventing the spool from staying tight. Thanks. Mark
The idea behind the spool is it's the method used to maintain tension on the shade strings. Mike & peg had a good basic explanation regarding tension and locating.
I moved most of mine to be more directly under the ends of the lower shade rail so the strings come straight down to the spool. I filled the old holes with a little filler. I loop the strings around the center of the spools. They can be disassembled and put together with the string routed down and around the center. You can then loosen the screw and adjust the tension much easier. Make sure the string goes in on the right side of the spool. The tension on the string will the keep the spool/screw tight.