Un-known Switch

wwromans

I just bought a new ElkRidge and there is a switch next to the hot water heater switch that I can't ID. Anyone know what it is?

jimtoo

Hi wwromans,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If this switch is near the panel that turns on the pump, water heater(propane use) and shows tank levels and it has a red handle on it,,, it is probably to turn on the electric element for the water heater.
You need to make sure the heater is full of water before turning on the electric element, it will burn out in just a few seconds. Now if it is just a regular electric switch you might look outside near the awning and you might find a electrical outlet... plug in a light and try it... it might be for the awning or outside lights.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

olcoon

From the sounds of things this is for the electric side of your hot water heater. Our 2011 Elk Ridge 27RLSS has 2 switches to turn the electric side. Like jimtoo said, make sure you have water in the hot water heater before you turn it on. One of our switches like jimtoo said, it located on the panel where you check the level of the tanks, it is red, & is like a light switch. The other one is located outside, next to the hot water heater, & has a cotter pin in it to lock it in the off position. To turn it on, just remove the cotter pin & flip the switch to on. Both switches have to be on for it to work. For the most part I leave the outside switch on during the camping season, as I've always got water in the hot water heater unless it's winterized.

WilmanJim

If it doesn't have a Red Handle it might be for an outside outlet by the awming. We have one on our Bighorn.

Jim