Amana Microwave/Convection Oven

Kitch

We have a 2011 Landmark with an Amana Microwave Convection Oven that quit working. You would think it is working but when you open the door when the time is up, nothing is heated. The turntable still turns, etc. Really not looking forward to replacing it already. Any suggestions?

Kitch

Willym

Sorry to hear about this Brian. My owners guide doesn't cover this situation exactly, but it does suggest unplugging the unit for 10 seconds then trying again for another situation. There is also a service number 1-800-843-0304 (1-800-807-6777 in Canada). A 1 year warranty seems a bit poor for a brand name appliance like this.

You could Google "Amana microwave troubleshooting" and get some info. I wouldn't recommend poking around inside it because of the high voltage residual charges present on capacitors inside microwaves even after they have been de-powered for some time. A high voltage fuse or other component, including the magnetron could be bad. Could be a cheap or expensive fix. Good luck!

wdk450

From what I know about microwave ovens, I would say that the magnetron (microwave producing tube) isn't working. There is an internal fuse for this, along with the magnetron itself, high voltage diode, capacitor and transformer in the microwave producing circuitry, any of these could cause your problem. Also, there are special switches on the door latch that prevent the production of microwave energy when the door isn't closed properly. These switches are often jarred out of alignment and don't close properly when the door is closed.
If you don't know what you are doing these are DANGEROUS to work on with the covers removed. In my area we have an independent microwave repair shop that will troubleshoot your problem for about $50, which can apply to the repair charge, if you so like.

Kitch

We have taken it out, tried another outlet, we are thinking it is the magnetron, which would be easier just to replace the microwave. Undecided what to do as of yet.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I replaced the Amana with this GE model. I replaced it to get a few more features. It can be purchased online for about $450 to $480. The GE unit is the same size as the Amana. The GE mounting bracket is a different size, so you will need to remove the Amana bracket and mount the GE bracket.

Attachments

• GE Microwave - .JPG
    GE Microwave - .JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 26