Which Truck do I need

squilly

I have read so many posts am utterly confused. I am buying the big horn 3600rl but not sure which tdiesel truck to purchase, am considering either Ford or Chevy but which one is the best for the job, can anyone advise on which model f250/350/450 silverado 2500/3500 2wd or 4 wd?

any help and advice appreciated.
ruthNone

timk

I would get a big white one.

Seriously, you'll get opinions all over the place, people tend to be un-logically brand loyal. But, too big is better than too small. If you can wait, the 09's will have the emissions deal sorted out a bit better.

Good luck.

ct0218

Either brand will do the job. As timk said, everyone will have their opinion. I have friends with with Fords, Dodges, and GM's, some have problems and some don't. I like my 3500 for towing and would never go back to a SRW, and I have 110K on my trouble-free GMC. And as timk said the current trucks have a new DPF exhaust system that some have had problems with. Nothing major except with the first production Fords, and all have been updated. The 2010 models will undergo an even more stringent (read expensive, and most likely more trouble prone) exhaust system makeover. These changes are actually reducing the mpg numbers for these trucks but are supposedly cleaning the exhaust up a little better. Shop for the best deal and what appeals to you, you can't go wrong.

Forrest Fetherolf

squilly,

I pull a 3600RL with a 06 2500HD duramax/6sp allison extended cab short-bed swr 2wd. The duramax has plenty of power and the brakes are the same as the 3500 and larger on the rear than the 3500 dually. When first loaded for a trip, I am 1200 lbs over on the trucks gross weight and 460 lbs over on the combined gross weight of truck and rv, but under the maximum weight for tire loading. Most law enforcement agencies look for tire loading and not necessarily gross weights. This would be the basic type tow vehicle, from there, pick your brand, pick your extra goodies and have fun rving.

Forrest

nhunter

I have never had a law enforcement officer/ dot officer look at tire ratings. The ones I have had looked at registered weight and the door pillar sticker. That is the one that will leave you sitting on the side of the road waiting for a bigger pickup truck. I have a 3600RL and pull with an 06 F-350 4x4 SRW and am under weight by about 1000lbs. Just my thoughts

ct0218

The GM 3500 brake rotor diameter is 1 1/2% (.2 inches) smaller diameter, but it is 9% thicker to help prevent brake fade. The total swept area is a whole .6% smaller but with the extra thickness of the rotor I don't believe that .6% reduction in swept area would be significant. I'd rather have a thicker rotor to reduce heat buildup and warping.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
2007 Ford F350 diesel dually.I tow a 2005 Landmark, Mt. Rushmore.Does a wonderful job. I would not want less than a 350, and a duslly no matter what brand you get. More is better.

Forrest Fetherolf

Does anyone really know what determines the vehicle GVW............is it tires, axles, springs, brakes, frame strength, engine, transmission, or what?

Last edited by a moderator:

jpmorgan37

Forrest;
I'm sure that if you contact the engineering department of any manufacturer, they can provide you with some of the criteria that goes into determining the different ratings that are assigned to each vehicle.
John

HappyKayakers

Forrest Fetherolf said:
Does anyone really know what determines the vehicle GVW............is it tires, axles, springs, brakes, frame strength, engine, transmission, or what?
Forrest, they just had a post concerning this on rv.net last week, should still be around in tow vehicles. The last time I checked it, nobody could give a definitive answer but many folks believe it's related to registration and insurance, i.e. manufacturers set it to where it's more affordable for more people. Nobody was able to get straight answers from the manufacturers.

For the OP, you might want to check the current Dodge 3500s. Not only is the engine beefed up to 6.7 but the exhaust brake is now standard.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Are you sure that the exhaust brake is standard on the 2007 Rams? I had one out a couple of weeks ago and the window sticker showed it as a $495 option. What a truck!!!!!

Blessed

GVW Limits

As a recent retiree from Chrysler I can tell you that the factors that determine the GVW rating is usually either your brakes or your powertrain. It is typically not your wheels, tires or axle because those items are used to determine your GAWR and your GVW is less than the combination of your front GAWR and your rear GAWR.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
What confuses me (and the posting on rv.net didn't help) is how I can be 700-800# over my 10,500# GVWR, but under on my GCVWR. It's the same brakes that I need to stop with and the same powertrain that I need to pull it. I'm well under my truck's axle and tire ratings.

Makes one wonder if they don't start with the GCVRW, subtract the towing weight maximum and what's left is the GVWR.

Forrest Fetherolf

Blessed,

Blessed said:
As a recent retiree from Chrysler I can tell you that the factors that determine the GVW rating is usually either your brakes or your powertrain. It is typically not your wheels, tires or axle because those items are used to determine your GAWR and your GVW is less than the combination of your front GAWR and your rear GAWR.

This is why I asked that question earlier.
If what you say is true, the 2500 SRW and 3500 SRW have the same engine, transmission, frame and larger rear brakes than the 3500 DRW. The 2500 SRW and 3500 SRW GVW is 9200 lbs and the 3500 DRW is 11400 lbs. In this case to only difference is larger springs on the both 3500's and dual wheels on the 3500 DRW. Nothing adds up.

I suspect the reasoning has to be other than just brakes, powertrain and/or the other items I listed. Sure would be nice to know when you see the red light in your rear view mirror, you just might be able to explain your way out of a "greenie" (LAPD lingo for traffic ticket).

HappyKayakers

cdbMidland said:
Are you sure that the exhaust brake is standard on the 2007 Rams? I had one out a couple of weeks ago and the window sticker showed it as a $495 option. What a truck!!!!!
My bad. Just checked Dodge's website. The exhaust brake is standard on the new 4500/5500. Now all I have to do is win the lottery :D

nhunter

Engineers at your favorite truck company decide to build a truck to suit a certain weight class. They then design frame, springs, axles, brakes, tires and other components to work as a system designed to carry a load. Same as they build engine then select transmission, transfer case etc to match toqrue/ horsepower of engine and works as a system. This why just changing tires or springs or whatever doesn't change a weight rating. You would need to change entire system to raise weight ratings.

Niles

Just a note on the exhaust brake on the 2007 Dodge, it is listed as a option however they are giving it to you, they are charging a fee for the new emissions and to offset this, I guess, they give you the brake. Just purchased a 3500 DRW with the 6.7 CTD and that's the way it was explained to me. Oh yeah I'm smiling big time by the way!!!

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
Enough Truck

Finally picked up our TV yesterday, 07' Dodge 3500 Mega Cab, DRW, 6.7 CTD, Exhaust brake. (We're almost there
icon_biggrin.gif
) We're looking at the Bighorn 3670RL, and hope that it's enough truck.:confused: Any one using this TV/trailer combo? If so any problems?

Sure do like that truck though!!!!!