Quartzite 2012

wdk450

Gang:
I think I may combine my first visit to Quartzite with a trip to So. Cal. to visit relatives. I just joined the LOW's (Loners On Wheels) RV singles group, and they have a get together there on Paloma Road. I noticed that the Escapees Singles group is supposed to be in the same area.

Any other Heartlander's going???

Any Heartland official presence there???

My first time boondocking. I did buy a Boily generator, have extra batteries to install, and have a 1.5 Kw inverter. Any other suggestions?

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
hi Bill
I will be at Quartzite this year. We will be about 6 miles south on 95 at a ham radio get together called Quartzfest.org for info where it is

wdk450

Sailorand:

I just got my old expired technician license reactivated with a test on Dec. 3rd. While at the testing site, I said what the **** and took the General test without studying for it. I PASSED!!! I don't have any RF equipment yet, but hope to have a VHF dualbander for Christmas. My old call was KC6BCZ, but I don't know if I am getting that back. I will search the internet for info on the Quartzite Ham get together.

BTW, I have been working on Morse Code with the online LCWO.net. I want to learn this as an ongoing "Brain Exercise".

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sailorand:

I just got my old expired technician license reactivated with a test on Dec. 3rd. While at the testing site, I said what the **** and took the General test without studying for it. I PASSED!!! I don't have any RF equipment yet, but hope to have a VHF dualbander for Christmas. My old call was KC6BCZ, but I don't know if I am getting that back. I will search the internet for info on the Quartzite Ham get together.

BTW, I have been working on Morse Code with the online LCWO.net. I want to learn this as an ongoing "Brain Exercise".

Didn't know Morse Code was being used anymore. Was a O5H20 (Morse Code Intercept Operator) in the Army years ago.

wdk450

Jim:
Small world. Evidently you were part of Army Security Agency - I was a member of Naval Security Group (Remember the USS Liberty!)
Morse (CW) can still be used, gets through when other signals don't, but is no longer a requirement for an amateur license. I actually have an application on my computer that I can put the microphone near a receiver receiving morse, and it can decode it and print it on the screen.

jmgratz

Jim:
Small world. Evidently you were part of Army Security Agency - I was a member of Naval Security Group (Remember the USS Liberty!)
Morse (CW) can still be used, gets through when other signals don't, but is no longer a requirement for an amateur license. I actually have an application on my computer that I can put the microphone near a receiver receiving morse, and it can decode it and print it on the screen.

Yep, I was ASA. Actually stationed at Itazuke AFB in Fukuoka Japan where it was a Tri-service base, Army Navy and Air Force. We all, ASA NSS, AFSS and NSA worked in the same ops building. Interesting assignment. Still can dit dit dit da, but much slower. At one time I was up to 120 wpm.

remember da dit dah dit, dah dah dit dah?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
.-- . .- .-. . --. --- .. -. --. - --- --.- ..- .- .-. - --.. ... .. - . ..-. .-. --- -- .--- .- -. ..- .- .-. -.-- ..-. .. ..-. - . . -. - .... - .... .-. --- ..- --. .... - .... . - .... .. .-. - .. . - .... --..-- - .-. .- -.-. .

jmgratz

.-- . .- .-. . --. --- .. -. --. - --- --.- ..- .- .-. - --.. ... .. - . ..-. .-. --- -- .--- .- -. ..- .- .-. -.-- ..-. .. ..-. - . . -. - .... - .... .-. --- ..- --. .... - .... . - .... .. .-. - .. . - .... --..-- - .-. .- -.-. .

Betcha we could communicate that way and the youngsters would not have a clue. LOL

TandT

Betcha we could communicate that way and the youngsters would not have a clue. LOL

.--- .. -- --..-- .. - .... .. -. -.- -.-- --- ..- .... .- ...- . .- --. --- --- -.. .. -.. . .- .-.-.- - .-. .- -.-. .

wdk450

Yep, I was ASA. Actually stationed at Itazuke AFB in Fukuoka Japan where it was a Tri-service base, Army Navy and Air Force. We all, ASA NSS, AFSS and NSA worked in the same ops building. Interesting assignment. Still can dit dit dit da, but much slower. At one time I was up to 120 wpm.

remember da dit dah dit, dah dah dit dah?

Jim:
I don't remember your Morse quote, as I was a "MAT-MAN" (CTM- I maintained the electronic equipment - I didn't chase "Ditties").
I was in '68 - '74; Served in Chesapeake, Va; Keflavk, Iceland; Todendorf, Germany; and CINCLANTFLT Norfolk, Va.; between schools. I only spent one afternoon on a docked ship in a 6 year Navy enlistment.

jmgratz

BTW have fun in Quartzite. Should be lots of folks there in January

MC9

I was an analyst in the AFSS. Alaska and Edinburg, Scotland. 1955-1959. Going to miss Quartzsite this year (elk hunting in NM). See you in Gillette.

TandT

I actually cheated. There are morse code to English/ English to morse conversion sites on line.

Back to the OP. Yes we are going to be in Quartzsite from Jan 15 through Jan 30. We will probably stay at La Posa south.

There is a slim possibility we will go to Plomosa Rd.

When I find out for sure, I will post it. Trace

pegmikef

I only spent one afternoon on a docked ship in a 6 year Navy enlistment.

That's funny because I was army and while at NSA I was sent TDY (TAD for Navy folks) to Japan and ended up being put on a ship (USNS Vandenberg) for sixty days. I had more sea time than a lot of my navy counterparts at the agency.

wdk450

Gang:
I am going to make another post on this thread asking anyone experienced in attending Quartzite to advise me how to get up to Paloma Road through all of the traffic.
I monitor a Winnebago forum on Yahoo groups, and one of the posters there described taking a big rig through the main drag in Quartzsite during daylight hours of the RV show "like being on I-5 in L.A. at rush hour". He said that there were 2 freeway exits and to take the (unnamed) 2nd one eastboound. I could only find 1 exit shown on Google maps.
I saw some city roads on the map going North immediately after you exit that seemed to skirt the main drag (95), and you could get back to 95 after the main part of the city. Does this seem like a good idea? I am arriving during the day Sunday, Jan 22nd.

Thanks in advance!!!

SmokeyBare

Bill,

I have not stayed at Plomosa Road BLM Camping location but we have driven that area of Quartzsite.

If you look close at a Goggle Map of Quartzsite Arizona, your going to see 2 Exits off I-10. One exit off I-10 on the East side (Exit 19) and the West Side (Exit 17).

Directions to Plomosa Road:

Located about 5.5 miles north of Quartzsite on the north and south side of Plomosa Road. Take AZ I-95 north from Quartzsite to Plomosa Road turn-off and turn right.

I would just fight the traffic and take the frontage road to I-95 north and head to the BLM Plomosa Road location.
If your wanting to avoid the traffic... which will be busy because of the numbers of Snow Birds in the area... I would take the East Exit off I-10 and go north on Riggles Ave. Its a good chance your going to be on a gravel road for part of the way. The Map shows Quail Trail Street at the dead end of Riggles Ave. Turn Left (Heading West) and drive to I-95. Turn Right (North) and head to Plomosa Road.

Your not going to be the only one in an RV on the streets of Quartzsite... get used to the slow pace while driving around the area.

http://www.quartzsitebusinesschamber.com/camp.htm

Good Luck with your trip.

<tbody>
</tbody>