Air Bags- For A Different Reason

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
This might be a crazy question, but could you use air bags to lower the rear of a truck. I understand most use bags to raise the rear, to level the stance. My problem is, even with the pin weight of the 5er, the rear of the Dodge still sits high (about 2" high). I cannot adjust the Reese hitch lower because the spacing between the cap and the bed rails is about right. The North Trail still sits nose high. I'm thinking about taking out spacers in the springs but the air bags would allow me to adjust for towing and back to regular ride height.

Thanks for the help
Jamie

jnbhobe

Jamie; pulling out the spring blocks is an easy way to lower the back of your truck. I am thinking of taking out the 4in blocks and useing a set of 2in blocks. The only thing I can think of may be the alignment of the wheels by changing the angle. Maybe the shocks may be too long then ???? Other than clearance of the tires I can't think of a reason not to do it. Ya may need different air bags, but you don't have any yet. Let us know what you do !!! maybe you'll be the ginny pig. lol

GOTTOYS

Jamie; pulling out the spring blocks is an easy way to lower the back of your truck. I am thinking of taking out the 4in blocks and useing a set of 2in blocks. The only thing I can think of may be the alignment of the wheels by changing the angle. Maybe the shocks may be too long then ???? Other than clearance of the tires I can't think of a reason not to do it. Ya may need different air bags, but you don't have any yet. Let us know what you do !!! maybe you'll be the ginny pig. lol
Will not affect the wheel alignment. There are no wheel alignment adjustments for the rear wheels. It will affect the pinion angle on the gears in the differential. If you replace the 4" 4WD block with the 2" 2WD block you should be fine. You will notice a slight wedge shape to them. The shocks should be fine as is. You can check the part numbers on the 4WD vs 2WD shocks just to compare them. They will probably be the same. Most 4 WD trucks sit a little high in the back when empty anyway. May not need air bags...Don

porthole

Retired
Jon, the DRW uses the 2" blocks. All the ancillary parts are the same. That is a common swap on the Truck forums for those that level the truck without lifting the front end.
It is also the reason when your truck is next to mine mine is so much lower.
BTW, you need new shackles if you do this. The Ford's are one use only.

Jamie, to use air to lower the truck you would have to go to an air rear suspension. $2000 to $3500

Sandpirate69

Air ride suspension is pretty expensive and delicate to maintain. Yes, it will help you lower & raise the bed hight, but unless you really load the bed, you will have a bouncy ride. Like a few posts below, your best option is to use the 2" blocks.

Ivan

JWalker

Here's a few pics showing the ride height of the truck and also the "nose high" of the fifth wheel. Do you think this stance will cause issues on the suspension, axles or tires. I have to say, this combo pulls great.

2e2pm49.jpg

bdjt02.jpg

2m43qk3.jpg

Thanks For the Help

jnbhobe

You probably have 500 to 600lbs more on the rear axel than the front, more wear on the rear tires that way.I try to keep mine as close to level as I can.

porthole

Retired
Just my 2 cents, if it was fairly simple, like changing out blocks, I would level the truck.
One disadvantage to the trailer not being level, and especially nose high, is the braking.
Trailers with the brake application biased towards the front axle need to have the axle to trailer attitude level. IEven if there is no brake bias, you are introducing it by not having a level rig.

Easy way for you to level out - blocks between the axles and springs.

Difficult way, trade that trailer in for a Cyclone :cool:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Here's a few pics showing the ride height of the truck and also the "nose high" of the fifth wheel. Do you think this stance will cause issues on the suspension, axles or tires. I have to say, this combo pulls great.

2e2pm49.jpg

bdjt02.jpg

2m43qk3.jpg

Thanks For the Help

Your truck stance sets great so don't mess with it! You have the same problem I had, I raised the RV 2" and all is level now.

beardedone

Beardedone
On my 04.5 2500 and on my current 3500 DRW I had the blocks removed and placed on the under side of the springs. That way the same shackles work. I have never had any issues with over 200,000 km on both trucks. You can go to the Dodge Cummins Forum and do a search on lowering your rear end and find a very good write up.

JWalker

Your truck stance sets great so don't mess with it! You have the same problem I had, I raised the RV 2" and all is level now.

Question. How did you raise your Sundance? Since it sits 2" higher and that raises the center of gravity, did you notice any towing changes?

I looked at the suspension on our 5er and there does not seem to be any adjustments on the shackles.

porthole

Retired
"Flipping the axles" is one method.

Are your axles currently sitting on top of the springs?
Moving them to the bottom will raise the trailer by that difference, probably 3-4".

But doing so you open your self up to other problems, mainly the additional stress on all the suspension components, especially the shackles and where they mount to the frame.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
This thread brings up a interesting question, one that I have been thinking about. What is the best way to determine if your rig is setting level on the TV? I keep thinking that a level area would be good, but they are really hard to find and how do you know it is really level. And once you find that level area, how do you determine it is level?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This thread brings up a interesting question, one that I have been thinking about. What is the best way to determine if your rig is setting level on the TV? I keep thinking that a level area would be good, but they are really hard to find and how do you know it is really level. And once you find that level area, how do you determine it is level?
I just put my TV and trailer on a flat surface. I then measured from the I-beam frame to the pavement front and rear. Take into account the drop frame in the front.
The weight on my axles differ by 100 lbs. front axle to rear axle. Each axle was weighed.
I know of one person that was nose high and his weight was around 1,000 more on the rear axle than the front axle. Don't quote me on that number, it's been a few years. But I do remember it was a lot. Maybe he will read this post and have the exact number. That was two or three coaches ago.
Oh, and how do you determine level? I don't think it needs to be real level, just make sure it is flat. All you need to do is take the measurement.
Peace
Dave