Best Buy RV in Springfield, OH(east of Dayton)

Blessed

We have owned RV's for over 30 years and the service experience that we had with Dave Powers,Service Manager, is the best ever. He had a new A/C unit with a heat pump expressed shipped overnight for us. The next day he installed and fixed about a dozen other minor items all under warranty. He also helped a local dealer (Michigan) install a 2nd A/C on our unit.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
That's really great to hear!! We just ordered our 3600RL from Best Buy and are glad to hear their service is so outstanding...it's going to be a long two months waiting!

Pulltab

I have not had any service done with Best Buy yet but am scheduled for the 19th. I have however had 3 of their techs work on a previous Motorhome I owned when they were at other dealers and they were top notch guys. They even stayed late on a Friday night to get my coach done so I could have it back! Thumbs up to hear they excell!:)

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Blessed,
I am glad to hear you had a great experience with Best Buy Rv's. I also have had superior service from them. I can also attest to Dave Powers being top notch when it comes to customer service.

Mark

kakampers

Well, we must have been the unlucky ones!!! The service we ended up receiving was WAY BELOW what it should have been.

We were to have our satellite dome and W/D moved from our old unit to our new Big Horn. We had the appointment for several weeks prior to delivery. We picked the unit up on a Friday so we could switch out our belongings at a friends. We then returned on Monday, our scheduled appointment, to have the above items taken care of. While we had it over the weekend we found several small warranty items, i.e., leak around shower access, caulking that needed to be done under front door, outside door handle installed improperly, several small nicks in woodwork, etc.

We arrive at 9:00am as scheduled, only to find out they were short-handed and instead of taking our coach right in parked off to the side and didn't start on it for several hours. When we came back by around 1:30PM they had touched very little, and had not started on the dome or the W/D. These items needed to be done as we're fulltimers and they needed to be installed or we couldn't carry them. We were to pay the cost of the W/D install and the sat dome was included in the purchase.

When we returned at the end of the day, they had only done half of the warranty repairs, they had installed the W/D and the dome, HOWEVER, they completely by-passed the sat prep in the roof and docking station, running a whole new set of wiring leaving us to now have to figure out how to get satellite in the bedroom. They said "they didn't know where the wires were and Heartland couldn't tell them". We hardly believe that one!!

As for the W/D we checked as best we could since it's in a closet, paid the exhorbitant price of $390.00...$315.00 for 3 hours labor (can't imagine how it could take that long) and over $50.00 for the splendide vent. The vent was OK as that is the type we wanted. Several days later we noticed water dripping from the bottom of the W/D lines in the cargo bay. We removed the dryer (had to remove door and molding to accomplish this), only to find that they did not tighten the hot water hose properly at the valve in the closet. That, however, was not the half of it. The hole for the dryer vent was cut DIRECTLY behind the hole in the dryer. This left no room for the hose (it's usually off-set above so the hose can bend behind the dryer, go up and bend again before attaching to the vent pipe). The back plate for the vent was completely missing, it had been there as the four screw holes are still in the wall where it was installed. Apparently after putting it on, then trying to put the dryer in the installer realized his mistake with the hole and removed it!!! On top of that there was not so much as a hose clamp holding the hose to the vent pipe it was just stuck on it!!

We contacted Mr. Powers this past Friday who promised to investigate and call us back. He did yesterday...his response "his tech said he installed everything properly and as such would not refund any of our money", even though we had to go buy a new hose and reinstall everything ourselves. We told him that his tech would never admit he did a sloppy job and he said "of course he would"!!! RIGHT!!!!

At this point we've had it with Best Buy's service...the purchase was handled very professionally...THE SERVICE IS CERTAINLY ANOTHER STORY!!

Next step is to contact the owner to see if we can re-coup some of the money we paid for this shoddy work...keep you informed!

geeksrus

I recently purchased a '08 3400RL from RV Price Busters / Best Buy (less than 3 weeks ago)... not overly impressed with their service:

PDI - the unit had saw dust everywhere (we cleaned this ourselves)
- the lower portion of the shower panels are not caulked properly (we'll get this done when we get home)
- the unit was riding high at the pin & we were told that this is normal (I later stopped at Camping World & had them adjust the pin box, for $100plus, & now it rides much better).

I also wanted to purchase an in-line 50amp Surge Guard & have them install it but they told me it would be a couple of weeks to get an appointment. Called Camping World in Bellville MI & they got me in the next day on my way home.

Service at Best Buy... NOT IMPRESSED.

Graham:confused:

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
shower and sawdust, too

Funny you mention sawdust. We are in the second season with our 2006 3600RL BH and this past weekend my wife mentioned that I had to vacuum the closet and behind the drawer underneath the frig. Why?Sawdust. I guess it comes out of the walls, etc. It is not as bad as last year, but it happens. Our dealer had the unit spotless, but sawdust does appear. Our shower leaked at the bot,tom, too. I went to Home Depot and bought a good clear shower caulk and applied it to the inside. The rubber thing on the bottom of the shower door may also come off, ours did. I bought 3M double stick tape and put it back on after cleaning the surface. So far it is staying put. Some people put it back on with small brass screws. I did not have any problems with the king pin and the fifth wheel, but my dealer took time to set it up properly. Best of luck with your new BH.

mrcomer

For those of you who received less than satisfactory service from Best Buy RV, please let them know. They will be sending you a customer survey. This is an oportunity for you to let them know what happened. The president of the company, Dennis Runzer, will read these and take any necessary action. I hate it when I see that something like this has happened to someone else as we have been very pleased with them. I'm not going to take sides here but I really do encourage you to let them know what happened.

Good luck and have safe travels,

Mark

kakampers

An update on our service from Best Buy! It gets even worse...

One of the only warranty issues they addressed while we were there was a speaker in the bedroom that didn't work. When we picked it up it seemed to work OK, however, after one day it stopped working again and my husband didn't get a chance to look at until today. What a surprise!

Instead of finding our what was really wrong the dealer's inept service people used a jump-wire from the functioning speaker in the bedroom to the non-functioning speaker and disconnected the wire coming from the receiver! Needless to say that doesn't work, you can't wire speakers together there are not enough ohms to push both!

After putting the wires back together correctly my husband traced the problem to a wire connection in the bundle of wires under the entertainment center slide-out which had pulled apart...problem fixed!

Apparently all Best Buy wanted to do was throw things together haphazardly and get us out of their dealership...NOT A PROBLEM...WE WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE AGAIN!

And as for the owner Mr. Runzer...has never bothered to call back...that's what I call absolutely NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, OR CONCERN!!

kakampers

Mr. Runzer did, in fact, finally return my call. Very nice gentlemen, listened to what we had to say and said he'd talk to his people about everything they did or didn't do properly.

Agreed their work had been sub-standard and thanked us for bringing it to his attention, so he could correct problem...HOWEVER, made no effort to compensate us for all the work we had to redo, and suggested next time bring it to his location in Richmond, IN.

Don't think so...If he really cared about sub-standard work we would be getting atleast a partial refund or some sort of compensation for having to fix everything they touched ourselves, at additional cost to us!

Pulltab

:( This makes me sad! Best buy is or was the best choice for service in this area and this doesn't do them any favors.

When will people learn that doing the least to get by is not acceptable when we pay as much as we do for the rig itself let alone service charges at $75 an hour!

kakampers

Correction Pulltab...service charges were $105.00 an hour...wish we'd have just taken the unit and did the installs ourselves. As it is we had to do everything over again anyway!!

Pulltab

$105! That is crazy! I guess you either have to be rich or able to fix your own stuff once out of warranty to own an RV. Heck I can go to a doctor a LOT cheaper than take the rv to one. How crazy is that! :eek:

Well at least the guy is going to check into it for you. :rolleyes:

imchud

Best Buy RV... My wife and I went there and spent most of the day looking over their units they had in stock... We were working with one of the salesman who kept taking personal calls on his cell phone during our dealing with him... He was going to look into our unit to see how much he could give us for it (2003 jayco 31/ft 5th wheel) -- he said he had to ask the sales mgr (who was not in) for a price because we were up side down on the deal, due to the fact we had only owned our jayco for 4 years... So we went home (2 1/2 hours away) he said he would call the next day... no call came in, so I called him, again no return call... I waited for 1 week then I call the sales mgr myself, he said my sales guy had never approched him to ask him anything?? he said he would handle it and call me back with the deal, again, I waited 2 days then i called Heartland and found out that a dealer in my home town was now a heartland dealer (Jim May Auto & RV)... Within one day we had the deal done, and two days after we picked up our new coach (Big Horn 3385) Best Buy calls me back and now wants to deal??? It gave me great pleasure to tell him he missed out on over 50 grand... So far Jim May seems like a good dealer to work with, my coach is in for some minor service, so far the dealer has called twice to give me up-dates and to keep me informed... I pick it up sometime this next week... Has anybody else used Jim May, if so what do you think???

Tom

Pulltab

Welcome Tom to the Heartland family, what was the salesmans first name out of curiosity? Shame you had a problem, with the economy the way it is you would think dealer would bend over backwards to make a sale! :(

imchud

my baby

Pulltab,
I think his name was Shane, Can't remember the last name... No big deal though, the dealer I'm working with now (Jim May) is under 5 miles from my house, instead of 160 miles like Best Buy was :D... It's great, my B/H is in for service and there was a bad storm today with a ton of wind and rain from the current storm in texas... My coach is so close I just jumped in the truck with my wife and ran over to make sure it was all right... It was right after dinner, we poured ourselfs a cup of coffee then drove over and parked next to it just to keep it company :D... After about 10 minutes just sitting there and drinking our coffee my wife looked at me and just lost it :rolleyes:.. She was laughing so hard she couldn't get her breath,
she told me I wasn't right?? she said she couldn't believe I was sitting in the dark, drinking coffee while baby sitting a 12,000 lb coach, I told her to shut-up as she laughed at me the whole way home... I happy to report that my baby was alright and looking good :D:D:D...

BEST BUY RV down the tubes

I just called best buy rv in Richmond Indiana to make an appointment for some warranty work. I was informed that both the Richmond Indiana, and Ohio locations are going out of business. They will be in Richmond one more week. Now I'm stuck with finding a dealer that will service my North Trail within a reasonable distance. I have a call in to Heartland now, hoping they can help.
I'll be sure and post the outcome.

mrcomer

Well this is truely saddening. I have made some attempts to contact people I know there and I am currently waiting for a repy. I will let you know what I find out.:(

I just called best buy rv in Richmond Indiana to make an appointment for some warranty work. I was informed that both the Richmond Indiana, and Ohio locations are going out of business. They will be in Richmond one more week. Now I'm stuck with finding a dealer that will service my North Trail within a reasonable distance. I have a call in to Heartland now, hoping they can help.
I'll be sure and post the outcome.
I just received a call from Heartland's Indiana Rep., Gary Shellenburg. I could not have asked for a more congenial person to deal with. We are going to pull to Elkhart (Capital RV) and have our issues resolved. Camp a few nights around Elkhart, and perhaps take the "Grand Tour".
Heartland and Gary put my mind at ease, and for that I thank you.

jbeletti

VietvetUSMC,

By chance, are you going to be in Elkhart next week for this? I will be in town Mon-Wed nights, heading home Thursday. I always enjoy meeting Heartland family members.

Jim