Another water issue

aatauses

Hi everyone,
Sometimes I think we live in the "leaky teaky". I need some help. After a rain I have water dripping out of the molding under the overhang. It is dripping out the end near the king pin. (Both sides, but the door side is worse) I do not have any water in the closet, or the storage compartment. Where is this coming from? Also, how can I remove the molding under the overhang to get a better look? I know the molding on the sides has a plastic thing to remove and there are screws, but the molding under the overhang does not seem to go together this way??
This is on a 2010 BH 3670
Thanks for the help
al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would check all the caulking up where the rubber roof meets the front cap. Also don't for get to check around the clearance lights.
As for the trim strip under the overhang, just start on one end and pull it off of the metal strip that it is pressed onto. When putting it back on you will need to re-caulk it.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check along the length of the trim from the roof to the underside. You may find hairline separation of the caulking from the wall along the rearward side of the trim. I had a similar condition on just the door side, so I stripped the old caulk off and recaulked it. Problem solved. Check around the rear cap and you may find a similar separation and want to recaulk there, as well. I didn't have any leak showing at the rear cap, but since the tube was open, might as well use it.

wingfoot

One word "Eternabond". I used it on both front and end caps...Works great and you never have to worry about it again. I checked with HL sometime back and they told me that it had been their experience that " the majority of water intrusion was at the top seams". It's fairly easy to apply and you should never have to re-caulk those seams again. If you decide to do this Google Eternabond and you will find that the vendor has a good video on application procedure.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One word "Eternabond". I used it on both front and end caps...Works great and you never have to worry about it again. I checked with HL sometime back and they told me that it had been their experience that " the majority of water intrusion was at the top seams". It's fairly easy to apply and you should never have to re-caulk those seams again. If you decide to do this Google Eternabond and you will find that the vendor has a good video on application procedure.

I'm thinking of doing all of the roof seams with Eternabond, but will leave the side trim seams as caulk. When you covered your roof seams, did you first remove the old caulk accumulation, or just tape over it?

wingfoot

I'm thinking of doing all of the roof seams with Eternabond, but will leave the side trim seams as caulk. When you covered your roof seams, did you first remove the old caulk accumulation, or just tape over it?

No. Mine had the original caulk so there was not much build up. I did do my previous 5r that had been caulked several time. It didn't do as neat a job as on my BH. I thought about removing the old built up caulk but decided against it. Tried to do an area and quickly found out that it was going to be an insurmountable task...So, all this being stated, I don't remember Eternabond mentioning removing old caulk. You will just have to decide. It worked fine, just wasn't a smooth appearance wise.
I would suggest you visit their Webb site...they have a great tutorial.

John, if you use Eternabond, I don't think you will be disappointed in either case .

Last edited:

aatauses

Thanks everyone, this gives me more to investigate. Wingfoot---how did you put the Eternabond tape on---did you put it on the roof and then over the molding strip?? How did you do the edge where the roof meets the side? Any pictures of finished product?
thanks
al

wingfoot

Thanks everyone, this gives me more to investigate. Wingfoot---how did you put the Eternabond tape on---did you put it on the roof and then over the molding strip?? How did you do the edge where the roof meets the side? Any pictures of finished product?
thanks
al

Al, go to the link below..It will explain in detail how to apply Eternabond.

http://www.eternabond.com

Bobby A

thanks
al

Yea guys, I would like to jump in hear. I have been reading this thread with interest, I would also like to know if you just put the eternabond tape over the seam where the front and rear caps meet the rubber roof ??

wingfoot

Yea guys, I would like to jump in hear. I have been reading this thread with interest, I would also like to know if you just put the eternabond tape over the seam where the front and rear caps meet the rubber roof ??

You can do the end caps only, but I elected to do the skylights and vents too. I, again would suggest checking out their Webb site for instruction. I learned not to apply the tap on the curve edges of the end caps..makes for a neater application...The tape does not like to make "curves/corners" very well. Has a pertinacity to want to go in straight lines..
Good luck,
Larry

Bobby A

You can do the end caps only, but I elected to do the skylights and vents too. I, again would suggest checking out their Webb site for instruction. I learned not to apply the tap on the curve edges of the end caps..makes for a neater application...The tape does not like to make "curves/corners" very well. Has a pertinacity to want to go in straight lines..
Good luck,
Larry

Thanks wingfoot, sounds like a set it and forget it fix !!! I like that, plus, I'm not that good at laying a nice pretty beed of caulk.

aatauses

Thanks Wingfoot,I have used this before on the top of my slides and it worked great. One more clarification on the top (either front or rear). did you put the tape completly over the molding or just up to it on the roof side?thanksal

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hi everyone,
Sometimes I think we live in the "leaky teaky". I need some help. After a rain I have water dripping out of the molding under the overhang. It is dripping out the end near the king pin. (Both sides, but the door side is worse) I do not have any water in the closet, or the storage compartment. Where is this coming from? Also, how can I remove the molding under the overhang to get a better look? I know the molding on the sides has a plastic thing to remove and there are screws, but the molding under the overhang does not seem to go together this way??
This is on a 2010 BH 3670
Thanks for the help
al

I am having the exact same problem! I cannot find the source of the leak. Since it rains 366 days of the year here, I would like to stop the leak ASAP. I doubt it is the roof seam at the trim as I re-sealed it only a few months ago. The pictures show what I have tried to do...cover areas in shrink-wrap to see if the leak stops. No luck. The yellow circled area is where the leak becomes visible...the last screwe of the cap trim door side. The running lights are covered in shrink-wrap. Could it be leaking at the awning mounts? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is very frustrating and the damage is getting worse by the day!

Many thanks!

Cap2.jpg

Cap1.jpg

traveler44

I wonder if the plumbing to the washing machine could be leaking somewhere. I would sure check around that vent pipe coming out near the front of the roof too. Just some ideas.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since your W/D closet is in the front, I think that Tom may have found something that you need to look at.
If you do not use your W/D I would consider cutting the PEX lines in the chase that is in the basement and capping them with some Sharkbite caps. And if you do use that washer, consider lookint at the drain pipe as well.
Good thought Tom.

Peace
Dave

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Since your W/D closet is in the front, I think that Tom may have found something that you need to look at.
If you do not use your W/D I would consider cutting the PEX lines in the chase that is in the basement and capping them with some Sharkbite caps. And if you do use that washer, consider lookint at the drain pipe as well.
Good thought Tom. Peace Dave

We have never used the W/D. I will put some more Dicor on the vent cover. The rig hasn't moved in months and is winterized. The leak only occurs when it is raining.

Thanks much!

wingfoot

Thanks Wingfoot,I have used this before on the top of my slides and it worked great. One more clarification on the top (either front or rear). did you put the tape completly over the molding or just up to it on the roof side?thanksal

I'm not sure I follow you...You want to cover the seams..Kinda just center the tape over the seam where the rubber roof terminates and the cap begins. I applied it to within a couple of inches from the end of the end cap trim...just as the trim starts to make the downward curve.

hriker

We just experienced the same problem with our 2011 Landmark. It was raining a couple of days ago and I notice the end screw was rusting and water was dripping out. Thought we had a crack in the trim chalking. Investigated the problem starting at the roof and found the rubber roof was cut short near the trim piece. It was like a small corner piece got cut off. I assume that's the issue as the trim chalking looks great. I chalked the downward edge of the trim piece and then went up and re-chalked the entire seam to use up the tube of Dicor Lap sealer and make sure everything was sealed well. Live in Upstate NY and of course I did the repair yesterday our coldest day this winter. This spring I am redoing both the front and back cap seams with eternabond seam tape. I bought a 50' roll of 4" 2 months ago just to have on hand. Looks like the way to fix this issue for good. Thanks everyone for all your advise. I got to say reading the forum gave me the knowledge of what to look for and how to fix. Merry Christmas everyone.