Southco Keyless Entry

back2nature

The keyless entry (EA-R03) quit working last night. Figured it was time to change the battery. Husband took it off this morning. It was stuck to the side of the RV with double-sided "sticky tape". Really?? Not screwed on? You're kidding me. You drive down the highway at 60+ miles an hour and it's secured with sticky tape? Noticed it was wet inside from recent rain and build-up of past rains. Going to get a new battery anyway. Now how do we attach it back to the RV? Stickiness is all gone. Scotch double-sided tape? That's gonna hold it??? Anybody have theirs screwed on?

Sandpirate69

That doesn't surprise me. I was looking into purchasing a set for my Road Warrior's doors and they are a bit pricey. Contact the manufacturer before they close for the holidays. I would try to place it back on with the same type of double sided tape & then caulking the edges for a water tight seal.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I cleaned the area of all the old "sticky tape" and used sticky backed velcro strips. The velcro holds it securely in place and it comes off easily when I need to replace the battery. Bonus: I found velcro strips that were almost a perfect match for the length and width of the keypad.

MTPockets

I have the same issue... Battery went dead after only one week ..... Unit was built in October, we picked it up 10/31 ... Keyless worked after I programmed it, then battery (I assume) is dead after less than a week.... I hadn't discovered how to replace the battery until I read this thread... Keypad - It's just stuck on? I thought I was doing something wrong when I was trying to get inside and replace the battery.. It's convenient when it works. The one on the truck is hard wired to the truck battery - that would be a better idea for Heartland. Now, how long will the new battery last?

Last edited:

back2nature

Well, we put in a new battery so we should be good for a while. Got some good double-sided sticky tape from Lowe's. Similar to what Heartland had on, so I think it should stick pretty good. I guess if it was screwed on, we wouldn't be able to take the cover off, because you need to get on the back side to pry it open. Weird design but simple.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Now, how long will the new battery last?
I had problems with mine about a month after we got it. Key pad and battery were installed September 2010 and the battery is still good to go. I expect another two years out of it.

Peace
Dave