Chasing a ghost

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Been having problems with the converter working and not working. Everytime I would check it, it would check out alright and start working. Yesterday I decided to change it out and while I was doing do heard what sounded like a faint arching sound coming from the plug. As I inspected the cord plug one of the prongs on the plug looked like it had been arching. I then replugged it and as I wiggled the plug I could hear the slight arching again. So I finally isolated the problem to be a bad wall outlet. After repairing the outlet, the converter was plugged in again and it is working like a champ. I am posting this to maybe be of some help to others.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Replace it. I had the same problem and just got ours back from the dealer a couple weeks ago. They plugged our 5er in and it worked, then they laughed and said they would watch it. The mechanic said that it went out after they disconnected and moved it into the shop so they just replaced it. Said that it was not common but it happens and it's because the converter is bad.

After this last trip and loosing the converter while we were out I went to Wal-Mart and got a automatic charger to get us by until we got home. It will travel with us from now on.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Replace it. I had the same problem and just got ours back from the dealer a couple weeks ago. They plugged our 5er in and it worked, then they laughed and said they would watch it. The mechanic said that it went out after they disconnected and moved it into the shop so they just replaced it. Said that it was not common but it happens and it's because the converter is bad.

After this last trip and loosing the converter while we were out I went to Wal-Mart and got a automatic charger to get us by until we got home. It will travel with us from now on.

Thanks for the info. I think I solved the problem with the loose outlet as I could see on the plug where it had been arcing. I will keep an eye on it for now and have already bought a 70 amp converter to use as a spare it this one goes out (this one is an 80 amp) I have talked to the factory tech guys and found out they will rebuild it for $100.00 plus shipping and give me a 1 year warranty so that is what I will do if it proves to be the converter. If I do have to have it rebuilt I will use the 70 amp as a backup.