Can I tow without Tow Package?

mtran868

I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander. It has no tow pkg. The Highlander with tow pkg can tow 5k lbs. I've been towing my rig (2011 MPG 3200 lbs loaded) since May 2011 without problems but haven't gone farther than 30 miles one way.

I've been thinking about adding a transmission cooler. Will this be sufficient? Or do I need to get a new vehicle? I want to go on longer trips but not sure how the Highlander will handle it.

bigTdrop

Definitely a good idea to add the trani cooler. They're not expensive and really do help the engine run cooler. I would think a Highlander would be very capable of towing an MPG, even without a tow package. You can usually get the tow rating by putting your VIN into a decoder, or checking Edmunds, Blue Book, etc. You might also want to consider an oil cooler for additional protection.

hoefler

Depending on manufacture, the tow package can contain many different things if not all of them. Tranny cooler, engine oil cooler, different radiator, different radiator fan, different programing for the engine and transmission, brakes, suspension, tires, gear ratio, hitch, wiring, etc.. just to name a few.

ptarthur2

I towed my MPG 183 with a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe for several months after first purchasing my camper. The vehicle didn't have a tow package but it did come with a 275 hp V6 engine and I added a load leveler trailer hitch, sway bar and trailer brake.
On short trips, the Santa Fe towed my MPG fairly well but on long trips going down interstate highways in hilly country, I became concerned about the long term impact on the engine. The engine temp never climbed into the red but I just didn't feel comfortable with engine RPM level and the sound of the engine really made me feel like this was just too much strain on long drives even though I kept my speed between 55 and 60 MPH. I could still feel quite a lot of sway when big trucks passed even with the sway bar fully tighter. The Santa Fe could certainly do the job but I just didn't feel confident that it would hold up over time and making matters worse, gas mileage when towing the camper dropped to 11 mpg.
My wife and I planned to take our MPG on some long trips out West so I decided to trade the Santa Fe in on a Ford F-150 equipped with the new Ecco Boost V-6 engine and tow package. After towing the MPG camper on a couple of long trips I can say without a doubt that we are much happier with the additional horsepower, beefier transmission and added cargo space of the F-150. Gas mileage when towing the MPG camper with the Ford F-150 is the same as the Santa Fe and only a few mpg less than the Santa Fe when not towing.
For short distance towing I think your Toyota Highlander should be most adequate but if you plan on doing a lot of long distance towing you might want to consider a vehicle with a little more power and a transmission designed for towing.

brianharrison

When towing I have always been a big fan to monitoring vehicle parameters - tranny temp, oil temp, coolant temp, exhaust gas temp (mostly diesels and turbo gas engines), etc.

Edge Products (there are others) makes a generic OBDII digital monitor (plugs into your on board diagnostic port) that measures onboard sensors that come from factory - you can do your own research, or call companies like Edge and ask them what their product will measure and show for your specific vehicle. Well worth the price of monitoring the health of your vehicles key parameters.

Here is a link to the Edge product for reference --> Link

I would think there would be other forums specfic for the Highlander where others with the same vehicle have towed, upgraded for towing, etc. Good luck.

Brian

Speedy

I'll second the suggestion as to monitoring vehicle data while in route. My GMC 3500 diesel has the LLY engine which is famous for overheating. I installed a similar monitoring system (Bank IQ) to the Edge and have found it very useful as to what is happening under the hood at any given moment. I am towing hard and near the limit and I'm never near the overheating stage other with a LLY talk about.

The best thing to do is get a larger tow vehicle but until then coolers and gauges.