Barrier nets

MountainTop

Has anyone installed barrier nets on the inside of their unit? We want to use the top of a pantry unit and the area on top of the microwave for storage, but need to contain items up there during transit. The nets would need to follow the contours of the pantry/microwave top and cover 5-6 1/2 inches of vertical space above the existing structures. Currently there is just open space obove these 2 structures, so some kind of support pieces will be needed to attach and support the net as it makes the turn around the corners of the structures. Wish I could draw a picture to make this more clear!

If you've done something like this, would like to know what kind of vertical support pieces you used to anchor or guide the net where it turns the corner, and how you attached the netting so it can be opened for access to items in storage. A picture would be especially helpful.

Thanks!

jimtoo

Hi MountainTop,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have lots of great people here that have made all kinds of modifications. You don't have posted what unit you have, but I checked and looks like you have a MPG 181. I will move this thread to the MPG area where hopefully some of the MPG owners will respond with some help.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

traveler44

I don't know what trailer your talking about but I decide to only put light weight items only on top of cabinets. I had room to throw a couple of light foam pillows on top of the one above our microwave. I just found a couple of cubic feet under our bed slide too. I fastened a couple of small tubs down under the bed after running the slide in with the bed up to see what all cleared the action. We have a 3370 RL Bighorn

Tumblebug

If you have a MPG, I used some storage baskets with an open front and put small bunge cord across the fronts of the storage bin. Secured the storage bins with double adhesive tape. Works well looks ok and was simple to do. If interested I'll take some pictures.

Crumgater

We put down the non-skid shelf liner and then use small plastic bins to hold stuff in the cubby over the microwave - and do the same for keeping stuff on the counter. The sponge-like shelf liner does a great job at keeping stuff in place.

MountainTop

Thanks to all who posted helpful ideas. As we searched for various solutions online I came across a company called Organized Obie that makes and sells a variety of RV items we hadn't seen other places. Some are geared toward marine use, but would work well in an RV too. Among their unique products are custom made barrier nets, net storage pockets and a variety of water-resistant pockets for the bathroom. The website is www.organizedobie.com. They have just begun selling retail and they've been very responsive to our questions and resolving a couple of minor glitches. Worth taking a look in my book.

kb0zke

MountainTop, remember that for most mpg models, that area over the microwave is part of the slide. I don't think I'd care to use that space while traveling, but once we've landed we do use it. We don't need to secure things there, but since they are above eye level, sometimes they are out of sight and therefore out of mind.

plumber54

I used some hardwood spindle stock fom home depot over the microwave, pantry, entertainment shelf, and that little hole on the front of the sink. Mitered corners, a bit of glue and a couple of small screws. Just got back from a trip NY to NC and back, worked like a charm!! The spindle stock comes in 10' lenghts.

jimtoo

Hi plumber54,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Thanks for your post about what you did. Sounds like something similar to what I did on a previous unit. If you could post a picture it would help others I'm sure.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M