Propane Tanks

Tool958

Have to agree with you. Sure would be nice to have the extra capacity. I upgraded my last SOB to 40# bottles and it made a big difference how long they lasted.

Lynn1130

Me too! It got very cold during an elk hunt earlier this month. The two issues that cropped up with the Cyclone were, having enough propane to keep the fires burning and the low point drains freezing and stopping water flow. Some supplemental heat on the drains solved the water flow issues (now I am trying to come up with a fix that avoids that problem all-together). We did carry extra propane tanks but it would be nice to have larger tanks on the trailer.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My Bighorn propane tank shelf is mounted exactly 1/2" too high for the shortest 40# tank I can find.

For the want of only 1/2", I am going to have to have someone cut the bracket off and reweld it slightly lower.
I know a guy who has a similar size SOB rig and he was able to fit 40's in his.

Now you would think someone at Heartland would have thought of this. JMHO Trace

ncc1701e

This thread struck a very interesting note with me. I'd like the larger cylinders also. Found this info and thought I'd share.

[h=3]Manchester LPG Cylinders[/h]
Steel Vertical Propane Cylinders
Size
20#
30#
40#
100#​
Capacity
5 gal
7 gal
10 gal
25 gal​
Diameter
15.06​
Height
46.31​
Water Capacity
238​
Tare Weight
71​
Aluminum Vertical Propane Cylinders
Size
20#
33.5#​
Capacity
5 gal
8 gal​
Diameter
12.28​
Height
28.2​
Water Capacity
80​
Tare Weight
18​
[h=3]Worthington Propane Cylinders[/h]
Steel Vertical Propane Cylinders
Size
20#
30#
40#
100#​
Capacity
5 gal
7 gal
10 gal
25 gal​
Diameter
14.63​
Height
48.5​
Water Capacity
239​
Tare Weight
71​
Aluminum Vertical Propane Cylinders
Size
20#
30#
40#​
Capacity
5 gal
7 gal
10 gal​
Diameter
12.25​
Height
32.06​
Water Capacity
95.2​
Tare Weight
20.9​

ncc1701e

Here is the table as a PDF, sorry for the other poorly formatted table.

Attachments

• Manchester LPG Cylinders.pdf
    206.8 KB · Views: 58

TandT

My opening is just shy of 29" tall.
It hurts that it's that close, but too short. 29.25 is the shortest 40# I have found. Trace

Tool958

I'd love to put the 40#ers in but hate the thought of cutting on a brand coach. I guess after we retire I'll just have to carry the 100# bottles for the longer stays.

jimtoo

can you imagine how long a 250 gal tank would last?

Easy,,,:) 6.25 times as long as 1 40gal or 3.125 times as long as 2,,40 gal....:) :) ,,, I am so smart...:) But ,,, you would not need to fill as often...:) but.. it's awful hard to load and unload a tank that big I would think.:)

Jim M

ncc1701e

A 40# propane tank full will have a nominal weight of about 70 lbs. This will vary slightly from one mfg to another. If you happen to be able to find an aluminum tank rather than the standard steel tank you can cut another 10 to 15 lbs off that full value.

Tool958

If you did the bracket mod couldn't you tilt the 40# tank in through the opening?
It would definately work on mine. I think they would fit in now if it wasn't for the drain line that runs from the front closet, through the bottle compartment, from the washer/dryer hook-ups. I've never actually measured it to so how much room is there.

TandT

If you did the bracket mod couldn't you tilt the 40# tank in through the opening?

It would definitely work on mine. I have almost nothing right below my BH tanks. Its wide open to the ground.

CrazyCooter

I have a 17 gallon tank that was mounted under a MH and was thinking of mounting it under the Cyclone. This way I could use one of the 7 gallon tanks for shorter weekend trips and fill the big one for the week plus trips. After measuring and loading up the trailer....I realized we were too close to GVWR to add that kind of weight.

Many of the Keystone TH's come with three 7 gallon bottles. I would love that, but many of those owners complain and only use two of the three anyway.....guess we do things a little different?

porthole

Retired
I always figured there was a reason why RV's had propane mounts that were just shy of the size needed for the next larger tank.
Kind of like propane grills that have room for only one(service bottle.

For those interested in the aluminum tanks - have yo priced them yet - that ought to cool your heels.

drzr

I always figured there was a reason why RV's had propane mounts that were just shy of the size needed for the next larger tank.
Kind of like propane grills that have room for only one(service bottle.

For those interested in the aluminum tanks - have yo priced them yet - that ought to cool your heels.
What were you figuring as the reason RV's mounts were just shy of the size needed for the next larger tank?