Hit a low hanging tree branch 2012 cyclone 3950

I need some advise, I hit a low hanging tree branch two nights ago, and I am in the middle of a blizzard in the great plains Kansas/Colorado. It appears to be a hole about 2-3 inches, it looks like it hit the roof put a dent in the roofing material and poked a hole in the rubber roofing material. Please tell me or give me the best advise to fix it correctly it this means patch, new roof or have the insurance adjuster look at it. Also if the rubber membrane has a hole do I need to keep the snow off the roof where the hole is to avoid any water damage.

Here is an update, I went up on the roof today and got a closer look and it looks like the branch hit on the curve of the roof just above the door, It put about a golf ball size dent in the roof and it seems to be about a 2 inch hole in the rubber membrane.
Thanks

PS please avoid telling me I am a %$#@%^& for messing up a brand new Cyclone 3950 I already have called myself enough names.

Thanks

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello WRKN_2_RETIRE_EARLY and welcome to the forum.
I would definitely try to keep the snow off the damaged area. As for a fix, one product that stands out is Eternabond Tape. It is great for repairs such as this. I think you can find it at Walmart now.
As far as insurance, that is up to you. It depends on how bad it is and what your deductible is. The Eternabond will last a long time.

Peace
Dave

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
eterna bond tape is the way to go I've patched a few small tears with it and it works great

57chevyconvt

I carry a small roll of Eternbond Tape and a roll of 3" wide Gorilla Tape just for such emergencies. I have looked for the Eternbond Tape at several WalMart locations most recently, neither had the tape. Lowe's, HomeDepot and WalMart have the super sticky Gorilla Tape that is very good for emergency repairs. I agree with Dave, plug all holes to stop moisture from getting under the roof and into other locations. Roof repairs for small rips and tears is doable with Eternabond tape or EPDM rubber repair kits available from Camping World or your local RV dealer.

Don't be to rough on yourself, we have all collided with trees and other objects along the way. My problems have always been while backing into a location with restricted visibility.

lhetsler

Did the same thing a few years ago at Great Sand dunes national park. Eterabond did the job and has lasted for years. Very good stuff.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
WRKN_2_RETIRE_EARLY
I hear your pain. Check this out. A friend was guiding me into a site in his RV Park. I knew there was a tree branch fairly close but not the one I hit.

IMG_0273M.jpg IMG_0270M.jpg

I went to a RV Dealer that had parts and I got some Eturnabond which was good but it is pretty thin and light. I was afraid that the wind going down the road would lift the EPDM and ruin the entire roof. I put some staples into the flap to hold it down, then put Eturnabond on the flap but it is so light it kept moving around. I had also put some adheasive on the deck but it did not help. I went back to the RV Dealer and got some White EPDM tape and covered it up. I really like the EPDM tape but it is thick, but when it sticks it is there... Here is a link to a site that has the tape, but I would get what I need at a dealer.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16347

Hope this helps

BC

On Edit... This is exactly what I used... Jack Sisemore Traveland Amarillo TX .... By Dicor

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Most Walmart stores I have been in recently do carry 2ft pieces of Eternbond. (and fulltime traveling, I've been in quite a few)
It's not in a roll, its folded somewhat flat and hanging on the RV section wall.
I used a small piece to repair a tear over the door after I hit a branch. Trace

brianharrison

Lots of great advise above. Make sure to follow the directions on the EternaBond or Dicor patch kits. I suspect they suggest having a clean dry surface before applying. As such you may want to use Gorilla tape or equivalent right now as an interim patch until the weather allows the surface to be dry. Your "newer" roof should be fairly clean already.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Lou_and_Bette

I feel your pain. Picked up our new Road Warrior in Ft. Woth and pulled it back to our home on the Mississippi coast. Called ahead to my DW and had her go to National park 2 miles from the house and reserve a spot for us. She went and looked for a spot and apparently looked confused, our first RV, and an older couple assisted her with picking a spot. She told them it was a "big rig" but since they had a 34' 5'r the gentleman ttold her which was the best place. Then, I arrived with this 40' and while the spot was big enough, getting to it was another issue. So, I ended up with tear along the curve of the roof. Had same feelings as you...4 days old and I hurt it. I went to Camping World and got patch material. I got the 50' roll of the stuff since smaller 6" repair kits were to small. That was over a year ago and still no problem with repair and now, since the first dent is in it, a lot less stress with keeping it pristine. Fix it and don't worry about it.

Lou

pegmikef

Most Walmart stores I have been in recently do carry 2ft pieces of Eternbond. (and fulltime traveling, I've been in quite a few)
It's not in a roll, its folded somewhat flat and hanging on the RV section wall.
I used a small piece to repair a tear over the door after I hit a branch. Trace

Trace, is this Walmart link the right stuff? If so I'm going to start carrying some for emergency field repairs? Mike

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eternabond-Microsealant-Tape/10825191

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Trace, is this Walmart link the right stuff? If so I'm going to start carrying some for emergency field repairs? Mike

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eternabond-Microsealant-Tape/10825191

Mike, that's it. I've found it at *some* WalMart stores, ones that have the newer store layout seem to have a larger RV section, and more products. I bought some to have in case of an emergency. Well, when we had the underbelly down, I went ahead a wrapped the lower half of the drain pipe connection from the black tank, since this is a place I *never* want to have a leak.

Erika

Westwind

Have been told it's how much they sell, they keep a very tight inventory if the stuff moves off the shelves they replace it, if it doesn't it's not on the shelf when you go back to get it.