Bunk Bed ?

gwolfe

I am looking at the 183, I have a question about the bunkbeds. Are there any adults that sleep on them? It is just me, 5'8" and my little dog that HAS to sleep with me. The other one I like is the 181 but I think I like the layout of the 183 a little better. I do camp with friends sometime so I like the options for more sleeping if needed. I am coming from a small pop up with double beds so a narrow space doesn't bother me. What is the weight rating for the top bunk?

jimtoo

Hi gwolfe,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am sure one of our other owners will jump in soon to help with your question.

Meanwhile enjoy the forum.

Jim M

By the way,,, I am married to a Wolfe. From Pa.

Tumblebug

I have a MPG 183 and I sleep in the lower bunk, it has a twin size mattress(I am 5'8'' and 190 lbs) I fold the top bunk up and use it for storage like towels etc and jeans, shorts, thing else that is only 2-4 inches thick. I took the top bunk mattress out. Just lock the cargo door on the back so someone does not tickle you feet.
I use that door to help make the bed!

I believe the weight rating on the top bunk is 200 or 250 lbs.

gwolfe

Jim, thanks for the welcome. We are a small family that comes from SE Kansas.

Tumblebug, thanks for the response. How hard is it to get into and out of bed? Also about the bathroom, how functional is it really? It looks pretty small all though I understand why due to the size of the trailer.

It seems I heard somewhere about towing issues, it may have been the R-Pod for all I know, seems like there was a wind diffuser that was added to the back or something. You know anything about that?

Tumblebug

I keep the top bunk in the up position. It's not to bad entering the lower bunk, just sit close to the head swing you feet in and there you go. The bath room is functional. Its great for night time calls the shower is a little spacey but most of the time we use the campground bathrooms. I would not call them great but you have one onboard.

As for the towing, I have a 2009 GMC 1500 serria that came with a tow package. The trailer towed with a small swishy feeling, not bad but I knew I was making some 1,000 mile runs and I added a towing hitch, now no movement and I can pull as fast as I can afford( gas&cops).
I live about 50 miles east of Joplin, I44 exit 58, my unit is still out, we use it as a spare bed room during the Holidays. Let me know if you want to see it or send me a private message and we can talk. The other unit I really like is the EDGE 192. I think it has a real good floor plan. That's the one I would have if I didn't already own this one.

gwolfe

I have some close friends that live up I-44 from you close to Sullivan. I usually go see them in Jan. or Feb., I may hit you up if your MPG is still out. By towing hitch I assume you mean weight dist./sway control hitch, right? I have an 04 Silverado so I imagine towing would be close to the same results.

I like that Edge too but I think I would want a dinette instead of the sofa.

gwolfe

I went to a local dealer yesterday that sells MPGs. They had a 181 and a 185, I wasn't too keen on the 185 as I want a fixed bed, I liked the 181 OK but would still like to see a 183. They didn't seem to want to let me know the price except for saying "in the seventeens somewhere":eek:. The salesperson didn't seem to want to sell me a MPG and kept trying to get me to look at bigger campers, ugh. After that experience I won't feel bad buying out of town/state when the time comes, that dealership left a bad taste in my mouth.

I like that table, I could use something like that in my pop up.

Thanks again for the offer of a looksie I may take you up on that.

kb0zke

gwolfe, if Tumblebug has gone to Texas, we aren't all that much farther away, and our 181 stays home. In fact, I'm shoveling rocks to make a decent pad for it (actually, to make mowing easier). I can point you to a dealership and salesman that will certainly work with you. They actually use the products they sell! I can also point you to a dealership where that is not true.

gwolfe

Thanks for the offer David, I would like to know what dealer you are referring to. Feel free to PM me if you like.