Water filling problem

LaurieK

We recently purchased a 2008 Sundance 2900 MK 5th wheel and the dealer filled the water tank so we could check out the trailer. However, when we went camping our first trip and tried to fill the water tank, it would only take 1/3 of a tank. The fill tube would fill up completely to the top with water and splash out. We could hear water dribbling to the tank below. We discovered that by disconnecting the tank vent hose and blowing into it, we were able to then fill it full. It appeared that something may have been dislodged from that vent tube. But now we are concerned that if there is an object in the tank, it could block the vent tube, the drain tube, or the tube leading to the pump. Has anyone else had problems?

jpmorgan37

It sounds like you may have had some water in the vent hose which would keep the air from escaping. Sometime the vent hose is too long and will have a loop in it that acts like a trap. If water is in it, the tank wont vent and will not allow you to fill it. You probably blew the water out and then you could fill it. If you do a search in this forum, you will find others that have relocated their vent hoses.

John

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I dont know if this is the correct thread. I just wanted to add to the many people with filling problems. We have had our trailer a month and after all the form comments I tried to fill it yesterday for the first time. Only went to 2/3 like other people. Seems like more to add to the list of problems!
Regards
Wayne

fhollan

LaurieK Quote: "But now we are concerned that if there is an object in the tank,"

The above quote of LaurieK caused me to respond on that issue, since you may never know what is left in the tanks. Last week I attempted to drain the gray tanks into a Smart-Tote. As I took off the cap some of the waste came out from the black tank. It seemed enough to fill from the valve to the cap. It seemed that the valve was leaking, since the handle seemed to be all the way in.

Later when leaving the campground, I drained all three tanks. When I removed the hose, I noticed a round piece of plastic lodged at the end of the drainpipe, like maybe a worker had to cut out a hole in a tank and the cutout fell in the tank. That was the culprit that caused this mess. Yes LaurieK, that's always possible. Why could it not have been one of the gray tanks???