RV Quilter

Quite often I take a sewing/embroidery machine with me when spending time in the RV to work on some quilt projects. It is much easier if we will be planted at a park for more than a day or two as once I get everything set up - I take up a lot of space. LOL Just wondered if there are others out there who take along a machine while on the road?

Joy

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I don't personally, but my wife often takes hers. Not as much embroidery anymore, but the quilting machine gets loaded for any trip over a couple of days.

rick_debbie_gallant

Yes, my wife takes hers with us. She love finding old quilts and repairing them back to almost new. W took out the swivel chairs and couch. put in two home theater recliners and set up her sewing area where the table used to be. Our table is now in the rear

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
My big machine is just too big to take, so I am currently on the hunt for a compact, sew only machine to keep in the trailer.I do carry a box of scrapbooking stuff with me. I have two girlfriends that wouldn't leave home without their machines.

JJnLilly

My wife is an avid quilter but the New Joy frame is just too much to lug around! She has a small portable Janome we take whenever we are going to be on an extended trip. She has a small cutting board we take too. She does a lot of hand stitching in the evenings as we watch TV. In fact the portable is already in the Greystone waiting our departure south in 10 days.

I take my Sewing and Embroidery machines when we travel for more than a week.
People always looking for repairs of Jeans and other favorite things. I also make things: bags, blankets, wraps and other things when someone comes up with an idea to try.

rick_debbie_gallant

For our next rig we are going to be looking for a toy hauler. With that we can set things up in the back and it will not interfere with the living area.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
As I read Rick & Deb's post - A thought came to me - with the higher ceiling height in the new Cyclone - I wonder how hard it would be to replace the top bunk with a work surface for such a setup. If I remember correctly from when my kids were babies and I used to sew blankets, puffs, pillows and bumpers. The Puffs ( most of which were quilts ) required a very large work surface. And the few ( very few ) King size quilts I made always made me feel like I was over run with fabric... and that was on the dinning room table at home, I could not imagine making anything that size in an RV...

Not that I'm going to start quilting again ( unless I get the bug when there are grand kids )

Kevin

rick_debbie_gallant

wHEN we get the cyclone or the RW it is in the back of our mind to do just that, Make a very large work surface for her to sew on. And I could have a little work shop also. Roll er down when it is needed and roll er back up when not.

Utopia2

I bring along my little Singer Featherweight and just do piecing. I bring along everything for a quilt precut as much as possible. I just work on the dining area table. I am always amazed at how much I can get done without all the interuptions I have at home, like housework!

Wow - great idea. Setting up a sewing/quilting/embroidery room in the toy hauler garage.
That would be something I would consider if we lived full-time in the RV.
Right now I think I'm not willing to give up my living space.
I bet my hubby would want me to share the garage with his motorbike.

Iowatwo

I always have a sewing machine in the camper. I started that when we had a pop-up. Now we are waiting for our Cyclone to be built! I piece quilts with the machine and quilt by hand. I also do many repairs and cut out clothing for my grand babies. This is my first post in the heartland forum!
Carol

jimtoo

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I know we have several ladies that carry their machines with them that quilt and sew.

Hope you enjoy your Cyclone when delivered.

Enjoy the forum and think about joining us in the Heartland Owners Club and attending some of the rallies.

Jim M

Paul & Nan

I carry at least one machine on any trip longer than 5 days, and at least one project that is ready to be worked. We are in the RGV for 2 months, brought two quilts that I want to machine quilt, pieces to be machine pieced, plus yarn to knit/crochet for baby blanket for the Goshen rally. Have to keep busy. Nan

DuaneG

Sounds like there are a lot of pros on this site. Maybe you could give me some advice.

My wife loves to knit and crochet, but has mentioned she wants to start quilting and doing some basic sewing. What type of machine would be good to purchase for her as a present that would meet her new to quilting needs and be easy to travel with.

At least she collects yarn that's light and its easy for me to move. She could have picked rocks like in the movie long long trailer.

Iowatwo

Thank you, Nan. I do a bit of crochet and knitting, too. I mostly like to make baby caps for the hospital for the newborns. We are not retired yet so we are in cold Iowa for the winter. One day......
Carol

Utopia2

DuaneF,
How nice you want to get your wife a sewing machine! I would suggest you give her the gift of selecting her own machine. It is a very personal decision. I would also suggest you purchase from a local dealer because you can depend on them for lessons, servicing the machine and to answer any questions. My first machine was a used Viking and I still go to the same local dealer.

I also love to knit and crochet, that is one thing I do sitting outside or on those rainy evenings. Loved that movie!:eek:

DuaneG

Thanks for the reply, I just bought her a starter singer machine that she picked up today. She has some projects in mind, but will probably knit more than sew. If she really likes it she can move up to the one that will do all the work for you while you wait. I think I saw that model.

Sent from my cell phone. Please forgive typos and spelling errors.

ljawest

I'm also a quilter and sewist...is anyone planning on going to the quilt show or quilt shops while camping at Goshen in June?