Looking for suggestions with my new 2012 F350 SD DRW

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Well I just purchased a new 2012 F350SD Lariat DRW with all the bells and whistles. Now I need help spending some more money on aftermarket items. We tow a Big Horn 3185, 2012 also, I have a Reese 16K hitch from my old F250 that I will be transfering over to the new baby but I now need ideas and suggestions on tool boxes and tonneau covers. So fire away and give me some good product ideas to set up my new Cowboy Cadillac. Looking to keep toolbox behind rear wiondow and possibly under the rigid type tonneau cover. THe bed of the truck is 172".:cool:

ncc1701e

Well I just purchased a new 2012 F350SD Lariat DRW with all the bells and whistles. Now I need help spending some more money on aftermarket items. We tow a Big Horn 3185, 2012 also, I have a Reese 16K hitch from my old F250 that I will be transfering over to the new baby but I now need ideas and suggestions on tool boxes and tonneau covers. So fire away and give me some good product ideas to set up my new Cowboy Cadillac. Looking to keep toolbox behind rear wiondow and possibly under the rigid type tonneau cover. THe bed of the truck is 172".:cool:

Well my friend, I just took the temp tags off my 2012 F250 King Ranch SRW. What did I add:

1) Roll-up tonneau cover (actually transfered from older F250)
2) Air Lift air bags w/on board wireless compressor (wired to Upfitter switch #1)
3) Rear step (Ford dealer option) on left side of truck under bumper
4) Curt 20K hitch (from other truck)
5) Drop-in bed liner
6) Tool box; ordered special so it is completely covered by tonneau cover and sits safety between 5th wheel and truck
7) Working on some lighting for the bed, wired to Upfitter switches for use at night to light bed area
8) Have mud flaps to go on the truck

Enjoy your truck

Tom (I do not have pictures of new baby, signature still shows the other truck.)

If you are going to add Firestone air bags with an on-board compressor, I suggest getting the Air Command wireless control. The wireless device will display the pressure in each bag and it has 3 memory presets. So you can simply use the up and down arrows to add or reduce pressure or press one of the preset buttons to adjust to your desired setting. Now you just put the device in the glovebox instead of mounting a control in your new interior. This was a nice add to my new 2012 rig.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Thanks guy's keep them coming. Looking for brand and style info for covers and tool box. I like the under cover tool box who makes them and the roll up tonneau cover. Mud flaps are a certain and do I really need air bags with this suspension?

Speedy

RDS 60 gallon aux fuel tank with tool box (Northern Tool & Equipment).
Truxido "Deuce" Tonneau cover.
Cobra CB w/ Wilson 5000
Step Daddy Ladder (stepdaddyladder.com).

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I had a spray on chip protect ant applied to my rear fenders at a local body shop. They removed the fenders and applied three coats of the "invisible bra". It matches perfectly and no chips or sand blasting.

porthole

Retired
Jim,

I didn't see this post when I sent you the email. Now I know, DRW.

Duraflap mudflaps, a little pricey but about the best you can get.
Titan fuel tank 65 gallons of bliss, and the dealer can adjust the miles to empty to match the tank (just did mine, no charge)

Truck covers USA is my roll up cover, with tool box.
My tool box was optioned with electric locks, tied into the truck locks.

Tail gate electric lock (if yours didn't come with it)

idle up modification, cheap and fairly easy to do.

I'll send the pics of the flaps, cover etc.

porthole

Retired
Are you handy? Can you cut and weld aluminun or have somebody that can?
My roll cover and tool box are integrated. That makes the tool box a bit small. But bigger toolbox means you "will" carry more junk.

If I was to do it again I would get the same cover and probably a Weatherguard box. Then cut out the box to fit the cover. You'll get an idea when I send the pics.

On my GMC I used a weatherguard in the bed box when I got the 5th wheel. No cover though. When done towing for the season I put my fiberglass hard cover on and just took the lid off the toolbox.

Although I like the fiberglass hard cover it is not practical with a 5th wheel if you have no place to easily remove and store. Vinyl roll ups I got tired of fighting with. So for me it is the canister roll up type. Some are better then otheres.

codycarver

Hey - more info please!

I belive it's a 3-M product. It is a spray NOT the film. I've got a call into the body shop now but they may already be into the eggnog so it could be next week or even next year before I have the all the details. I can tell you it cost me $450.00, looks absolutely original and it works.

brianharrison

I belive it's a 3-M product. It is a spray NOT the film. I've got a call into the body shop now but they may already be into the eggnog so it could be next week or even next year before I have the all the details. I can tell you it cost me $450.00, looks absolutely original and it works.

I am aware of the Armor Coat system --> http://www.armorcoatusa.com/about.html

I have seen it - it looks great Of course, time will tell.

Brian

codycarver

I am aware of the Armor Coat system --> http://www.armorcoatusa.com/about.html

I have seen it - it looks great Of course, time will tell.

Brian

The product used on mine accomplishes the same goal but is either from 3-M or Scotch. My guys didn't get back with me today (as I expected) but I'll get the info for anybody that's interested. I agree that proper application is everything with this product. The "long as you own it " warranty is only as good as the guy applying it and this shop is the only one within 120 miles doing it. It seems every time I wash this truck I find a new chip except on the rear fenders.

f250dieseldad

Jim, I just installed a Pace Edwards roll up cover. I love it. I will get Deb to post some pictures of the cover and some of the other goodies Santa dropped off.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hey Jim, Porthole is right! The best you can buy in the mud flaps is dura-flap. Talk to Dennis out there and get yours customized with the HL Logo. Look what Santa brought John! The Heartland Owners Club Logo is laser cut Stainless.

I will email you more pics of our Pace Edwards Cover later today.

Attachments

• IMG_3680.jpg
    IMG_3680.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3682.jpg
    IMG_3682.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3679.jpg
    IMG_3679.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 61

Tool958

Hey Jim, Porthole is right! The best you can buy in the mud flaps is dura-flap. Talk to Dennis out there and get yours customized with the HL Logo. Look what Santa brought John! The Heartland Owners Club Logo is laser cut Stainless.

I will email you more pics of our Pace Edwards Cover later today.
That is a cool way to mount the flaps. Is that a custom made mount or is it a manufactured mount? I would be interested in buying one if it is manufactured.