Slide operation also retracting landing gear Model 3800

Burke

We have had our 3800 for about 6 months and love it. I had previously noticed that when setting up, when first beginning to extend the slides I notice that the front of the coach drops slightly. However, when setting up yesterday, as we extended the slides, the front landing gear retracted the full way. Trying to pull the slides back in also causes the landing gear to retract. For me this is a serious safety issue having the landing gear retract without visual supervision I was able to re-extend the landing gear using the landing gear switch, without impacting the slides. Looking for guidance on possible simple resolutions without having to go all the way back to the dealer.

jimtoo

Probably something simple,, but lets don't take a chance. Call Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN number when you call.

Jim M

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Jimtoo, I met a Landmark owner today in our Florida park who has trouble with his slides not coming out properly after the rig is off the truck and standing on the front jacks and with rear stabilizers down. If he opens up while still on the truck, no problem. Do you have suggestions or comments?

Burke

Ok, sorry for not updating sooner but here's what happened. Both the Cyclone Rep and landing gear manufacture rep were at a loss as to how this could be happening. The repair technician at the selling dealership, after trying a few things and checking for wiring issues, found that it was a stuck valve in the upper left hand corner of the assembly next to the top of the right landing gear head. With a few gentle taps of a hammer it resolved itself. Although the tech felt it was resolved, I was, quite frankly, looking for a more permanent solution, so a replacement valve is on order. Thanks to Jim M and others for your suggestions. On the road again. Dan B.

jbeletti

Jimtoo, I met a Landmark owner today in our Florida park who has trouble with his slides not coming out properly after the rig is off the truck and standing on the front jacks and with rear stabilizers down. If he opens up while still on the truck, no problem. Do you have suggestions or comments?

Hogan,

Sounds like a nearly dead RV battery. When he's connected to the truck, he likely has his 7-wire still connected too.

Time to do a load test on the battery. Any auto parts store can do it for him.

Jim

ve6ddd

My 3800 has a similar problem in that the landing gear sometimes starts to retract when I bring in the slides. I've found that when extending the slides if I hold the switch on for 2-3 seconds after the slides are fully extended then the landing gear doesn't retract when I go to retract the slides. I'm thinking there must be some kind of pressure valve in the system that needs to be charged up or something to positively close the system.....of course the dealer can't get it to fail!

jimtoo

Hi ve6ddd,

Very possible your on the right track, but I would suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN number when you call.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
My 3800 has a similar problem in that the landing gear sometimes starts to retract when I bring in the slides. I've found that when extending the slides if I hold the switch on for 2-3 seconds after the slides are fully extended then the landing gear doesn't retract when I go to retract the slides. I'm thinking there must be some kind of pressure valve in the system that needs to be charged up or something to positively close the system.....of course the dealer can't get it to fail!

Sounds like you have the same issue that was found in post #5

The hydraulic circuit is not that complicated. Direction of travel, up or down for jacks and in or out for slides is controlled by the pump rotation. Rotation, forward or reverse is controlled by the polarity of the DC supply voltage.

What is actually moved when the pump is running is controlled by the bank of solenoids near the pump.
The solenoids also keep the pressure in the circuit when the pump is no longer running - really important with the jacks.

So if more the one system is moving it sounds like a solenoid problem.

We have a Big Horn 3055RL the bottom side of the bedroom slide is worn to the wood looks like where the rollers come in contact, any ideas? Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There has been plenty of talk about this subject. You can get a repair kit from Heartland or Parkland Plastics.
The kit comes with a strip of plastic and a tube of adhesive.
You will cut strips to size then glue them on the underside where the rollers make contact.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jnbhobe

There has been plenty of talk about this subject. You can get a repair kit from Heartland or Parkland Plastics.
The kit comes with a strip of plastic and a tube of adhesive.
You will cut strips to size then glue them on the underside where the rollers make contact.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Also check for a broken roller on the wall below the slide