looking at Big Horn

Mariposa

We have been on the road for about 4+ years in a TT. (a different brand) Thinking of up grading to a 3400RL. I have been checking with owners of Haertland units when I see them in RV parks. (Not many) Most complaining about something wrong with thier unit. I saw one unit, it was used, in Bakersfield. The bottom had been remove and replaced, not very neatly. The sale person had no idea why.
Has the factory fixed the water tank problem?
Are they going to still have 3400RL for 2008?
There are some good points to the Hartland which make it a very good looking unit
We have checked two dealers in the Huston area and no 2008's 3400RL on the lots.
Of course, like most married couples my wife likes a different model, the 3055RL. I am sure I will win, but what cost?
Any thing I really should know about this idea of mine?
Bob

sislv

Tom & Sharol
3400 vs 3055RL

Bob : First of all welcome to the forum.

We went to the Heartland Rally last week and got to tour the new factory. I think it's safe to say about all those taking the tour (over 100 people) were very impressed with the quality of the units being made. We looked closely at a number ready for delivery to dealers and could not find any obvious problems. There have been quite a few improvments though.

As to the 3400 vs the 3055RL. We have a 2006 3055RL and prefer that floor plan, length of the unit, weight, and of course the quality and features of the Heartland line. We mainly wanted to stay with a 3/4 ton tow vehicle and feel the 3055RL fits the bill. I think the 3400 would best require a 1 ton at least.

We firmly believe you both would be happy with any of the Heartland units, AND particularly Heartlands support after the sale. I would caution you to carefully choose a dealership that has GOOD QUALIFIED service people. I know it's hard sometimes to determine that, but try your best and if possible, talk to past customers.

Enjoy....

Tom & Sharol

Last edited:

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I echo sislv's comments. We love our 3055rl. Heartland has been great to work with. The dealer does really make the difference. Ours had GOOD QUALIFIED people in thier service deptartment, but they were so busy it took 2 months to get in and,a long time for them to do the job.
WE would buy another Heartland product IF we ever replace our 3055rl.
Rand

hertzberg

We have a 2008 3400RL (picked it up a few months ago) and have been very happy so far. Quality is good - only a few very small problems which I fixed myself. We compared the 3400RL and 3055 and like the size, storage space and floor plan of the 3400 a bit more. We tow it with a 1 ton Dodge 3500 SRW.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We originaly pulled our 3400RL with a 2500HD Chevy 8.1L Gasser. It did a respectable job but for peace of mind we upgraded to a 3500. The new 3400 has loads of storage and the new basemant is bigger yet. I think both the 3400 and 3055 are very close in weight. There were a surprising number of 3/4 ton trucks at the rally pulling both Bighorns and Landmarks.
As for quality. We attended the rally last weekend and like others, think the quality has improved. I would buy again. I like the fact that the factory seems to use this forum as a tool for finding weak areas and making improvements. Join the family. We're growing.

jcd8822

Joseph
We have a 2006 Bighorn 3500 RL and it has been a great unit. We love the Bighorn and would not take anything for it. The fact that it came from Heartland makes it even a better way to go.

Joseph

mdf503

Big Horn - Disappointment

**DELETED**

Post has been duplicated elsewhere on forum. We are leaving it in one place only.

Jim
Admin