ATF: MPG - Microwave and electrical plugs

Pmccomas

I recently purchased a 180. When I brought it home I plugged into a garage outlet with the converter. Everything worked but now the plugs and micro doesn't work. The gfi in kitchen won't reset. The breaker is fine. Help? Is it bad to leave the rig pugged in all the time?

jimtoo

Hi Pmccomas,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would unplug anything that is plugged into any of the outlets that are not working and try resetting the GFI. Also sometimes the breakers "look" OK... try turning the breakers off to reset and then back on.

Let us know what you find,,, and it is OK to leave the rig plugged in all the time. But be sure you check the battery water level occasionally.

Enjoy the forum and your MPG.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Pmccomas, Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family. The Factory may or may not respond to this type of question but but it sounds as if you have an issue with the ground circuit. It's possible that the GFI plug is faulty or a wire has come loose from the rear of the plug. IF you don't want to return to your selling dealer and feel comfortable checking into electrical situations, I suggest shutting off the power and removing the GFI outlet first. Check that the wires are pushed into the contacts all the way. Any interruption in the ground on the GFI circuit will give you trouble. Also make sure the outlet you are plugged into at home is OK.

Tumblebug

You may have tripped the breaker to the garage plug, they are only 15 amps, the converter and the micro could have tripped the house breaker on that line. The micro alone draws a lot of amps.

kb0zke

Pmccomas, as Tumblebug said, you may have tripped the garage breaker. One troubleshooting technique that works well is to start at the source and work toward the problem. In your case, check that the garage outlet is actually providing power by plugging something else into it. If that item works, then go to the mpg. Do any of the outlets work? If not, then the problem is between the garage outlet and the mpg. Has your power cord become detached? For that matter, is it still there? You wouldn't be the first person to have had a power cord stolen for the little bit of copper in it.

I'm guessing (and that's all it is) that your breaker in the garage has tripped. If weather permits, get an extension cord and plug the microwave by itself into an outlet that you know works, preferably the same one you were using for the whole camper. I'm guessing that the microwave will trip the breaker. If it doesn't, and a hundred-watt lightbulb to it, and see what happens.

Of course, you have checked that there is nothing else on that circuit, haven't you? Don't ask how I know to ask that question!