Garage AC

mbolton

I have a 3795 and am moving my front AC to the garage because it gets so ridiculously hot in there. Has anyone done this, and if so, how did you deal with the bed crank that obstructs the housing inside? I am contemplating cutting the excess material out of the way, but that seems like a pain. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

porthole

Retired
I have a 3795 and am moving my front AC to the garage because it gets so ridiculously hot in there. Has anyone done this, and if so, how did you deal with the bed crank that obstructs the housing inside? I am contemplating cutting the excess material out of the way, but that seems like a pain. Any ideas?

Not sure what you mean by bed crank. There is no AC power back there, so you will have to run some wire.

There are several people on this site that have done just that.

mbolton

I did it when I replace my roof last winter. I had to wire for it, which was the only hard part. The "bed crank" I referred to was the crank that allows the motor side of the retractable beds to transfer to the non-motor side, thus leveling them equally. I unbolted them and dropped them 3", it worked great.

gpshemi

I just got done with this. Here's a list of things to do. It's not a small chore BTW.

- Remove the Fantastic Fan / Vent.

- Figure out a way to get a 75lb AC unit to the roof. I used brute force and a ladder. Not sure I'd recommend that method, but the wife was impressed for sure.

- If bunks are mounted flush to the ceiling, you have to lower the bunks 1.5" to clear the cover. Leaves a set of holes near the top of the garage where it was installed before. This isn't especially hard to do, but it does take two people. Some of the lag bolts are hard to get to by the motor.

- Depending on the type of AC, you may have to run a new wire for the thermostat. Mine was an AC with heat strip. The lil heater has been worth every bit of effort and money. The Fantastic Fan thermostat only had a couple wires. So depending on your thermostat and AC unit, you have to run a new wire. I ran mine from the vent opening, through the roof to the speaker opening, over to the loft wall, and down to the thermostat. It's a major effort. Do yourself a favor and run 7 wire so you'll never have to run another one in the event you change the unit or a wire breaks. FYI, you'll probably need the 12volt that's already there in addition to the 110v to control the AC "brain". At least my version (Dometic) did anyway.

- Run 110 power from the vent opening, through the roof, to the rear spoiler flood light, to the corner post of the garage, down the post through the floor (remove the facia edging under the camper), along the belly, and finally up into the basement to the breaker box. Install a seperate breaker for it.

Fire it up and enjoy.