Trip to Colorado 2011

wcb

Couple of photos of our North Trail on I70 in Utah on the way to Rocky Mountain NP. Tundra&NorthTrail_I70_2011-09-06.JPGTundra&NorthTrail_I70_Spotted_Wolf_Canyon2011-09-06.JPG

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Great looking combo! Those pics could be used in the next Toyota product catalog, or even the NorthTrail catalog!

Thanks for sharing!

E

wcb

The Tundra performed admirably, although we had to drop down to ~30-40mph (flashers flashing) on all four passes that we had to crossed TWICE (11K+ in the Eisenhower)! Not sure what the gas mileage was; too busy looking at the scenery :) The stretch of interstate highways from the Virgin River Narrows on I15 to Denver on I70 is probably some of the most technically inspiring, remote, and beautiful I know of; definitely a must see for every RVer before parking it for the last time ;)

RuralPastor

wcb,
Beautiful pic! We've taken that same route, but not with the Caliber. Did your NT come with the rear ladder installed? I didn't think they were available on the rear living models.
Mark and Cindy

wcb

I added the ladder and solar power myself. I used stainless hardware to mount the ladder, using acorn nuts and large washers for the inside of the walls and pieces of aluminum bar for the roof mounts to spread the load on the inside (no plywood backers in the walls). The solar panel is mounted so the lag bolts screw into the wood at the top of the hallway walls (don't want it vibrating loose and sailing away):rolleyes: I got a Morningstar SunSaver MPPT charge controller and have seen 10+ amps going into the batteries from the 135W panel (I have a TriMetric battery monitor to see what's going on with the DC). I will post photos of the installations in a couple of days.

Tool958

Hope you do post the pictures. I would be interested in installing a system like that on our coach. It would be nice to be off of the grid and stay in some of the more remote campgrounds without having to run the genny all of the time especially when the gasoline supply is limited. We were down in Big Bend National Park in Texas in Feb. 2008. We haven't been out west anywhere yet so don't have anyplace else to compare to. It was one of the most beautiful places we've ever stayed in. The campground itself is primitive with only the basics. It was in the low 80's in the daytime and cold enough to freeze water of a night time. Talk about a temperature change. We were in a SOB camper and didn't have a generator. So each morning we had to start the truck and charge about an hour to bring the battery back up. Hope to make it back down there again someday with a little more time to explore than what we had then.

RuralPastor

I added the ladder and solar power myself. I used stainless hardware to mount the ladder, using acorn nuts and large washers for the inside of the walls and pieces of aluminum bar for the roof mounts to spread the load on the inside (no plywood backers in the walls). The solar panel is mounted so the lag bolts screw into the wood at the top of the hallway walls (don't want it vibrating loose and sailing away):rolleyes: I got a Morningstar SunSaver MPPT charge controller and have seen 10+ amps going into the batteries from the 135W panel (I have a TriMetric battery monitor to see what's going on with the DC). I will post photos of the installations in a couple of days.

I look forward to seeing your pics. I'm planning on adding a ladder in the same place on my Caliber. Thanks.

OBX-GL

I look forward to the Pics as well and am interested in the solar install. Great looking rig and scenery.
Like RuralPastor we all have the same trailer,i find it interesting your window sizes (rear side,bed room) are different in the same model year. Yours look larger, you got lucky !

Looking for clarification on your flashers 30-40 comment as i have been looking at a 5.7L gasser. Were you feeling underpowered or just not wanting to miss any of the view ?

RuralPastor

I look forward to the Pics as well and am interested in the solar install. Great looking rig and scenery.
Like RuralPastor we all have the same trailer,i find it interesting your window sizes (rear side,bed room) are different in the same model year. Yours look larger, you got lucky !

Looking for clarification on your flashers 30-40 comment as i have been looking at a 5.7L gasser. Were you feeling underpowered or just not wanting to miss any of the view ?

Hey OBX-GL, I noticed that window thing too. Mine is exactly like yours, but I have a Caliber, not a North Trail. Apparently, mine is a little older style of 2011 made before the switch to "caliber edition". Anyway, I have a question, What kind of shades do you have? Mine are called a day/night, but they are not. They are simply a folded accordion cloth similar to a cellular type. Just curious. Happy camping. Mark

OBX-GL

Ha Ha! i'm not sure if Heartland knew what they were doing in 2011.
When i purchase my dealer was sometimes referring to my trailer as a 2011,then 2011.5 then 2012. i changed my signature text today from 2012 to 2011 but i think really 2011.5 is best representative of the features, but really who cares. As i saw things during my trailer hunt 2010-2011 saw "Calibers" having gray body paint and folded accordion shades and no frame-less windows. If you had a white body and white wood blinds you had the 2011.5 or 2012. So... Hmmm... the fact you have white side and folded accordion shades blurrs things further, throw the different sized windows into the equation and ... ? I would lean to yours being the 2011.5-2012 like mine. I saw many 2011 grey "Calibers" without frame-less windows being sold, i did not see any white "Calibers" just NT Caliber Editions for the next model year/half. But again who really cares, i think. Do you have the lower light strip around the lower half of your counter tops and does your bathroom counter top match the kitchen?

RuralPastor

Ha Ha! i'm not sure if Heartland knew what they were doing in 2011.
When i purchase my dealer was sometimes referring to my trailer as a 2011,then 2011.5 then 2012. i changed my signature text today from 2012 to 2011 but i think really 2011.5 is best representative of the features, but really who cares. As i saw things during my trailer hunt 2010-2011 saw "Calibers" having gray body paint and folded accordion shades and no frame-less windows. If you had a white body and white wood blinds you had the 2011.5 or 2012. So... Hmmm... the fact you have white side and folded accordion shades blurrs things further, throw the different sized windows into the equation and ... ? I would lean to yours being the 2011.5-2012 like mine. I saw many 2011 grey "Calibers" without frame-less windows being sold, i did not see any white "Calibers" just NT Caliber Editions for the next model year/half. But again who really cares, i think. Do you have the lower light strip around the lower half of your counter tops and does your bathroom counter top match the kitchen?
Sorry for the confusion, I do have the 'grey' Caliber. I'm not sure what a frameless window is, or if that's what I have. My countertops in the kitchen are solid-surface. The bathroom is laminate. I do have the light tan strip on the edge of the countertop -- if that is what you're talking about. I believe ours must be an early 2011 model. It has served us well. Since buying in April, we have put 10,000 miles on it with no problems. I have already completed around 20 modifications/improvements, and have a list of around 50 more. Probably won't get them all done. We will spend around 4 months this year, mostly in the Great Plains region, living and using the TT as a mobile office/home. We pull with a 2001 Ford Excursion (7.3 diesel). Thankfully, our fuel is paid for by others! I'm hoping to see the pics on the rear ladder soon, as well as the solar array. You have a great looking outfit! Mark

OBX-GL

Actually i was jumping to conclusions as the pic in your avatar/sig looked like a white body colour. Interesting the differences and shows how the model changed mid year which leaves me wondering if a white CE is a 2012. My dealer commented the CE 26RLSS coming in now don't have my options. Not sure what that means either so i will just enjoy and not fret.

Good to hear you are trouble free and giving it lots of use. How have your tires held up and were they the TowMax brand? I actually tried to purchase the "Caliber" as i really liked the grey body paint. I find the new upgrade paint a little pricey and over the top.

At only 4000miles we have been relatively trouble free to, however both door hinges tightened up and caused the hinges to snap. Doors swung nicely for a while then as if the frames warped the hinges came under a lot of pressure and started to bind. It is in at the dealer getting addressed as i type. As for modifications/improvements i have done none, just relaxed. i am always happy to here what others have done as i will get to some eventually.Any ground breaking renos you recommend? I feel sometimes the bedroom TV cabinet could be put to better use.

Oh,i did put a full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door. :cool:

Last edited:

RuralPastor

I'm probably getting a little off topic here, but thought I'd respond to your question about renos/mods with some that I've done. I have close to 50 more listed that I'll want to do someday...but probably won't! These types of things give me a good diversion from my daily work:

1. Change bathroom heat vent to a damper-style Too hot in bathroom.
  2. Added heat vent in kitchen. Too cool in main living area.
  3. Return air filter assembly. Purify air, and decrease heater noise.
  4. Splash guards on tub.
  5. Add plastic rivets to shower enclosure.
  6. Remove outside shower.
  7. Drawers for night stands.
  8. Repair day/night shades.
  9. Digital thermostat for heating/cooling.
  10. Install dividers in medicine cabinet to secure items during transit.
  11. Remove TV stand in bedroom. Added clothes rod, and also use as a place for printer.
  12. Add full-length mirror in bedroom.
  13. Replace mattress.
  14. Replace mattress support board with ½” Baltic birch plywood.
  15. Replace bathroom vent fan with high capacity.
  16. Add vent covers to roof.
  17. Install vent insulator cushions.
  18. Tooth brush holder
  19. Oxygenics shower head.
  20. Add full-length mirror in bedroom.
  21. Install indoor/outdoor thermometer.

OBX-GL

1. Change bathroom heat vent to a damper-style Too hot in bathroom. Great idea
  2. Added heat vent in kitchen. Too cool in main living area. Great idea
  3. Return air filter assembly. Purify air, and decrease heater noise. Not sure what you've done here
  4. Splash guards on tub. Very interested in what you mean
  5. Add plastic rivets to shower enclosure. I guess this helps how it hangs flush to the wall
  6. Remove outside shower. Why ? For what purpose ?
  7. Drawers for night stands. The small cavities next to the receptacles ?
  8. Repair day/night shades. I wanted your style and my 5ver inlaws who have shades are repairing them too. I guess the wood blinds have benefits.
  9. Digital thermostat for heating/cooling. Great idea. i could see this being something i get on doing.
  10. Install dividers in medicine cabinet to secure items during transit. Interesting
  11. Remove TV stand in bedroom. Added clothes rod, and also use as a place for printer. This is my area of design contention as it seems like useless space. For us wearing only T-shirts and surf shorts when we travel (summer holidays) the cloths storage we have is plenty. If i spent the time in the trailer you do i can see how this would be important. Would love to here what others have done with this space.
  12. Add full-length mirror in bedroom. Where on the door?
  13. Replace mattress. Just around the corner for us too.
  14. Replace mattress support board with ½” Baltic birch plywood. Just around the corner for us here and maybe side access to the storage underneath.
  15. Replace bathroom vent fan with high capacity. Our bathroom doesn't get much action as our campground facilities are close by and top notch.
  16. Add vent covers to roof. What does this do ?
  17. Install vent insulator cushions. ?
  18. Tooth brush holder 3M tape ?
  19. Oxygenics shower head. Wow, if we used our shower more i would have changed it already.
  20. Add full-length mirror in bedroom. Inside bathroom door worked great for us
  21. Install indoor/outdoor thermometer. How and where did you do this. This is something i will be doing.

My favorite part of the forum is people sharing ideas and pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share.
The forum doesn't have much activity now so hopefully we are not to bad for hijacking the thread.:cool:

RuralPastor

1. Change bathroom heat vent to a damper-style Too hot in bathroom. Great idea
  2. Added heat vent in kitchen. Too cool in main living area. Great idea
  3. Return air filter assembly. Purify air, and decrease heater noise. Not sure what you've done here. This is just a filter behind the grille below the fridge. It has really quieted my furnace and makes me feel better knowing it's catching a little dust as well.
  4. Splash guards on tub. Very interested in what you mean. These are plastic "corners" that stick to the place where the tub meets the wall. They keep water from splashing behind the curtain and onto the floor (not that that has happened much!).
  5. Add plastic rivets to shower enclosure. I guess this helps how it hangs flush to the wall Exactly. Mine were puckering, so I put some more rivets in. Problem solved.
  6. Remove outside shower. Why ? For what purpose ? It developed a leak where the cold side attached to the back of the shower assembly. Water sprayed all over the clothes in the drawers. We didn't use it anyway, so I plugged the lines and will replace the shower with a recessed storage box of some sort, possibly to store a sewer hose or other gadget.
  7. Drawers for night stands. The small cavities next to the receptacles ? Yes. I got tired of standing on my head trying to retrieve the stuff that ends up in there after traveling. The drawers exactly match my cherry interior style and color. They operate on glides for easy operation. I'll try to take a picture to explain what I did. The drawers are about 6" wide and 22" long. Nice.
  8. Repair day/night shades. I wanted your style and my 5ver inlaws who have shades are repairing them too. I guess the wood blinds have benefits. I think you did well. I may be replacing mine if I get tired of fixing them.
  9. Digital thermostat for heating/cooling. Great idea. i could see this being something i get on doing. Yeah, I really like the fact that there is no longer a 10 degree temperature swing during my heating and cooling. The temperature is MUCH more stable with the digital. $20 fix.
  10. Install dividers in medicine cabinet to secure items during transit. Interesting
  11. Remove TV stand in bedroom. Added clothes rod, and also use as a place for printer. This is my area of design contention as it seems like useless space. For us wearing only T-shirts and surf shorts when we travel (summer holidays) the cloths storage we have is plenty. If i spent the time in the trailer you do i can see how this would be important. Would love to here what others have done with this space.
  12. Add full-length mirror in bedroom. Where on the door? I see I added this twice. Actually, the mirror mounts on the wall right next to the sliding bedroom door. When the door is fully open, it covers just a small portion of the mirror, but not enough to matter. It works great (or, so says my wife).
  13. Replace mattress. Just around the corner for us too. We purchased an european coil spring bed-in-a-box mattress. Got it from Camping World for about 300 bucks. Ouch! The pain was gone the first night we slept on it. Every bit as comfortable as our Select Comfort in the house.
  14. Replace mattress support board with ½” Baltic birch plywood. Just around the corner for us here and maybe side access to the storage underneath. Yeah, I bit the bullet and used baltic birch--kind of pricey--but don't regret it at all. I already had gas shocks on the previous lid, so I just reattached them to the new lid. Works like a charm.
  15. Replace bathroom vent fan with high capacity. Our bathroom doesn't get much action as our campground facilities are close by and top notch.
  16. Add vent covers to roof. What does this do ? they allow us to keep our vents open in the rain, or while traveling.
  17. Install vent insulator cushions. ? Keep us warm in the winter and cooler in the summer. Just a pillow type of thing that fits in the square vent openings.
  18. Tooth brush holder 3M tape ? Yep. Has a cute little cover that keeps our brushes in place during travel.
  19. Oxygenics shower head. Wow, if we used our shower more i would have changed it already. This thing is worth it's weight in gold (OK, maybe not gold, but you get the idea!).
  20. Add full-length mirror in bedroom. Inside bathroom door worked great for us When I told my wife about your mounting location, she wished that's where we put ours! Great idea.
  21. Install indoor/outdoor thermometer. How and where did you do this. This is something i will be doing. I mounted by remote (wireless) sensor outside the front door. This makes a yearly battery change a little easier. My monitor just sitting on the shelf below the TV, but I'm thinking about hanging it up somewhere.
My favorite part of the forum is people sharing ideas and pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share.
The forum doesn't have much activity now so hopefully we are not to bad for hijacking the thread.:cool:

Yeah, I'd like to see more activity on the North Trail/Caliber site as well. There's a bunch of them on the road. We'll spend several months in ours this year, maybe more next year. My work takes me all across the US and Canada (mostly central). The TV and Trailer are mine, they pay for fuel. I'm not complaining.

wcb

Finally got photos of my ladder. The ladder was from Surco (http://www.surcoinc.com/RV-URVL.html) and seems sturdy and of good quality. I moved the street side middle bracket down about 6" to work around the rear window (nuts on inside are hidden by the blinds). I used some aluminum flat bar on the inside of the roof to spread the load more evenly. The bottom screws on the bottom brackets are going into the aluminum frame. I lowered the ladder down a few inches by cutting off a section of the top of the ladder where it connects to the roof brackets.

Will post my solar system pictures shortly.

Bill

Ladder 2012-01-29.JPG

Ladder Roof Mount (outside) 2012-01-29.JPG

Ladder Roof Mount Interior   2012-01-29.JPG

Ladder Wall Mount @ Window 2012-01-29.JPG

Ladder Mount Interior 2012-01-29.JPG

Ladder Mount Interior @ Floor 2012-01-29.JPG