Anybody out there experience this 120/240 issue.

sdagro

Last week my convection/microwave died. Took my 2011 Bighorn 3670 in to dealer. They removed oven for warranty repair and I brought rig back home. After arriving home all kinda weird things began to happen. 12v system died completely. Some 120v appliances were blinking. Upon checking voltage discovered that most of the receptacles were reading 210-220v and the ones that weren't were reading voltage below 100v. Checked voltage at shore power/home and it read 118-120v each leg and 238v across. When checking the breaker panel,(main 50 amp breaker) the black and red to ground(bare wire) read 118v. When checking it (red/black) to neutral(white) it read 75-80v and continually dropped to settle near 60v. When I checked black/red across they read 238-240v. When I check each 15 & 20 amp breaker, every other one read 218/220v. IS MY RIG POSSESSED OR IS THERE HOPE. Please help.

sdagro

same 50amp plug for the last 18 months. 2-120v legs that are split in breaker panel. Wish it was that easy. I think I have narrowed it down to between the camper side of the power cord reel and the breaker panel, but still stumped.

hoefler

You have an open common. No return path for the electric, it is trying to return on the other leg, the reason for the high voltage. Check the pedestal, if it is OK, make sure your common and ground wires are tight in the breaker box, transfer switch, receptacle for the cord, cord reel, etc..

branson4020

Icantre Member
You have an open common. No return path for the electric, it is trying to return on the other leg, the reason for the high voltage. Check the pedestal, if it is OK, make sure your common and ground wires are tight in the breaker box, transfer switch, receptacle for the cord, cord reel, etc..

Exactly. An open Neutral (common).

sdagro

Just got home from dealer. problem was a fried transfer switch on the neutral side. Switch box was found behind wall in storage bay. Cover was not screwed on and the little retainer ring where the wire feeds into box was not even screwed in and tightened. Gotta love the American workmanship. At least the problem was found and part is on its way across town and will be fixed by days end. Thanks to all who replied. Steve

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just got home from dealer. problem was a fried transfer switch on the neutral side. Switch box was found behind wall in storage bay. Cover was not screwed on and the little retainer ring where the wire feeds into box was not even screwed in and tightened. Gotta love the American workmanship. At least the problem was found and part is on its way across town and will be fixed by days end. Thanks to all who replied. Steve

What transfer switch? Or is that part of a generator set-up?

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I talked to steve & asked the same question. You are right, it is the transfer switch that came from heartland with the generator prep package.

sdagro

I talked to steve & asked the same question. You are right, it is the transfer switch that came from heartland with the generator prep package.
Thanks COWBOY for covering for me in my absence. Actually waiting for Progressive(manuf. of transfer switch) to authorize replacement of switch. Extended warranty referred dealer to original manufacturer warranty of box which is 2 years. Upon replacement we will find out what, if any thing else is fried. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will keep y'all posted. Steve