CA campgrounds

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Hi, In April we are headed west and would like to visit the Hollywood and Oakland, CA region. Would any one be able to suggest a number of campgrounds I should consider or specific locations I should check out for campgrounds? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Tom Weber, WI Chapter Leader

StephenKatSea

No ideas for the Hollywood or Oakland areas. But between those areas you have many nice locales - Along the coast, Morro Bay and San Simeon/Hearst Castle/Cambria areas are very good and have many RV parks. If you take the inland route, Interstate 5, April in Yosemite can be spectacular. Some very nice parks are also available in the Yosemite area.

sJv

I generally use rvparkreviews.com to research campgrounds. There aren't that many choices near Oakland. I have stayed at Anthony Chabot Family Campground in my truck camper, and thought it was pretty nice. It's a bit of a drive up a windy road, but should be ok with a large 5th wheel. It would probably be a 10-15 minute drive to Oakland. I would avoid any RV parks within the east bay cities (ie - Richmond down to Union City) as these aren't the most pleasant places. Further east towards Concord is nicer, but I'm not sure if there are any RV parks out that way and you may get stuck in heavy commuter traffic. Is there a reason you need to be near Oakland? There are many really nice places in Marin, and in the Santa Cruz mountains, but these are a long way from Oakland.

Manzan

We have stayed at the Anthony Chabot park several times with our previous trailer and enjoyed it. Daughter and family lived in Castro Valley. The road is narrow, steep and winding in places. Nice, quiet park.

Swanny59

Valencia Travel Park is a good choice as previously mentioned. If you want to be closer to Hollywood or downtown try Birmingham RV Park in Van Nuys. We stayed there with our 36' Sundance. Staff is friendly and they are upgrading their sites to 50amp.