Generator won't kick on AC power??

bggrndodge

I went out to run the generator today, started just fine. Waited a few minutes like normal for the AC power to kick on, and nothing. Checked all the breakers and fuses, in the trailer and at the Generator, ran it for almost 20 mins with nothing. Is there something I'm missing? It is 8* outside, but I figured 20 mins was plenty long enough. Any input would be great, is there a breaker I may be missing?

Thanks in advance,
Jake

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Isn't there a transfer switch that has to kick in to shift from shore power to generator? 8-deg. outside, maybe it needs a kick in the pants.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Jake, I'm not familiar with the toy haulers, but in my rig there are a couple of push-button type circuit breakers in a 4x4 square electrical box on the back wall next to the genny compartment. It's where the output of the genny is wired in to the coach. It's part of the standard factory gen-prep.

Lynn1130

You may have done this already but did you check the breakers on the front of the generator? On my 5500 there are two 30 amp breakers on the generator.

bggrndodge

JohnDar- Thats what I was thinking just not sure where to find it. I looked around but didn't have my batt drill to take off the wall in the basement, so that will be a job for tomorrow.

Branson4020- I did not see any breakers, the 4x4 I think you talking about when i opened it up was just a bunch of wires twisted together with twist caps, but will look again.

Lynn1130- Yes those and the ones in under the TV were what I checked first. I even reset all breakers and restarted the Genset 3 times, no joy.

Thanks again for the replies, tomorrow, i'm gonna take the basement wall off and see what I can see under there...

Jake

porthole

Retired
There are breakers behind the front cover of the Genny. That cover pops off, just give it a good tug.
The transfer switch for the toy haulers is "generator priority" eg, if you are running on shore power and start the Genny, it will switch over, even while still connected to shore.

bggrndodge

porthole- Yes checked those, and reset multiple times.

I am not using shore power, I was trying to run my Genset to power my heat gun to remove a decal, but after I started it, it never kicked on the AC power. I will be getting back in there tomorrow or Sunday and look around some more.

Jake

wingfoot

porthole- Yes checked those, and reset multiple times. I am not using shore power, I was trying to run my Genset to power my heat gun to remove a decal, but after I started it, it never kicked on the AC power. I will be getting back in there tomorrow or Sunday and look around some more. Jake
Are you saying you had to "reset the breakers"?....Did they "kick off". You should let the Gen. Set run awhile before putting a load on it. Start if without any load and at 8* it needs to warm up before putting a load on it. Also, you have two breakers as depicted below..one is 20amp and the other is a 30amp...make sure neither has kicked off. View attachment 17381 View attachment 17381

Attachments

• Interior of 5500.pdf
    188.6 KB · Views: 38

bggrndodge

Wingfoot- The breakers never actually tripped, but I turned them off then back on. At no time was there a load on the Gen Set. Normally when I start it, I watch for the TV light to come on and microwave to beep, kinda my tell tell sign the AC power is now on, and then allow it to warm up a minute before any heavy loads. That stuff never happend though??

porthole

Retired
You shouldn't need to watch for any lights. I can hear the relays kick in from 20' away. It is a rather solid "clunk". Same noise you hear when plugging into shore power.
I don't know about the non genny equipped trailers, but our have a delay from power in to power out.

The transfer switch is about in the center of the basement, right behind the rear wall. Gray/silver box about 4x5x6 (guessing on the size).
Shore power and Genny feed coming in - "switched" feed going to the panel.

Not that I would do this :cool: but in that cold of a temp a good rap on the box might help.

It still not working and shore power does not work I would guess you have a problem with the current sensing circuit inside that box.

bggrndodge

Porthole- Thanks will take a look, do you know if there is any breaker or fuse on the transfer box? I'm hoping it was a freak thing just from being so cold. I started it 2 weeks ago and had no problems at all.

Also where can I find a good wiring diagram for my 3010? I tried in the wiki, but no luck maybe I missed iy??

Thanks again,
Jake