Verizon Should know better...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I heard on the radio yesterday that Verizon was going to charge customers $2 to pay their bill online or phone.

I went online and did a search and found articles commenting on the $2 charge. Found a forum and they pointed to an article where they rescended the policy.

I would have thought that any business today would have learned from the Bank of America fiasco.

If the people of this country would unite on some of the real important issues they would find out the real power that the public holds in this country.

Power to the People..... :cool:

BC

wingfoot

Re: Verison Should know tter...

Yep...throw it out there and test the water..My theory is, anytime someone wants to pay you..Make it easy as possible...wonder how much they charge the people that don't pay their bill as agreed? My .02.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Yolks pitched a fit and Verizon has back-down from the $2 charge for now. Their comment was "they heard the people".

porthole

Retired

Part of their back down was "federal regulator scrutiny", which apparently was the FCC.

Wish either the FCC or FTC would get involved in the rip off banks do when charging you for the privilege of using electronic banking.

And in New Jersey, the online motor vehicle department charges a "convenience fee" to pay online with a credit card.
BTW, in New Jersey it is illegal to charge extra to cover the credit card transaction fees, unless of course you are the State.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Verizon, et.al., does have the option of paying automatically from your bank account. I've been using this method or direct online payment from our bank for years with several different accounts. I rarely mail a payment any more. No charge, and I never have a late payment. And no, I don't agree with anyone adding extra fees dependent on which manner you pay your bills. I also don't like banks charging a "insufficient-use" fee if you don't use their debit/ATM card frequently enough to suit them. Had ours try that stunt. And I NEVER use the debit function, only the ATM access. It was their hair-brained idea to combine both into one card.

jnbhobe

I don't have an ATM or Debit card, I don't pay anything on line to anyone, I do have a credit card for traveling or to let pay-pal use online. I don't pay interest to anyone and If you don't like cash or a check I'll buy from someone else. Its bad enough that Social Security has to direct deposit to my savings.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I don't have an ATM or Debit card, I don't pay anything on line to anyone, I do have a credit card for traveling or to let pay-pal use online. I don't pay interest to anyone and If you don't like cash or a check I'll buy from someone else. Its bad enough that Social Security has to direct deposit to my savings.

Wow.. We are almost the exact opposite. We use the credit card for almost all expenses. Only use cash for small charges and use check only when credit cards are not excepted. Passport America campgrounds don't always take credit cards and require cash or check. I don't like carrying a lot of cash. I also like having the credit card between the merchant and me. It helps protect me from having cash pulled directly from my checking account. I auto pay as many bills as I can to my credit card. I pay only the credit card from a onetime draft from my checking account. BTW, your check can be used to pull cash directly from your account now days. Many merchants scan the bottom of your check and fill in the amount and it is drafted from your account. I had this happen to me by an insurance company. They setup a monthly draft without my authorization. I contacted the bank and told them if they accepted any more drafts without my authorization I would see them in court.

I use to login to BoA and have them send a payment to the merchant until many of the merchants kept messing up the electronic payment. Most of the merchants will send me an email. If they charge my credit card they will send me an email weeks before the bill is due so I can view the invoice. If there is a problem I have plenty of time to contest it. If I am charged improperly I can see it on my credit card online and contest it before a paper bill is ever issued..

As for my Social Security. I would never have it delivered by mail. To many ways to have it ripped off. I have our investment checks, Social Securitychecks, retirement checks direct deposited. It gets to my bank account much faster and if I ever have a problem I can contact the sender and find out what happened. I never have to worry about it getting lost or stolen.

That's the way we do it. Each to their own.

BC

JohnDar

I'm with you, Bob. Pensions, FD pay, and SS go direct deposit. As many recurring bills as possible are paid online or automatic deduction. Even pay my taxes online direct. I rarely write checks, anymore. Travel with credit card and credit union ATM card (useable for free nationwide). If they steal my plastic, I can avoid being charged for it. If they steal my wad of cash (I don't carry one), it's gone for good.

pegmikef

" . . . are paid online or automatic deduction . . . " I too pay most bills on line, but I am afraid of automatic deductions because I don't like the idea of passing out my bank account numbers with all the hackers. I figure with a single point of payment, I can quickly identify the problem should one arise.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Actually, paying online now days is as safe or safer than paying by credit card at a restaurant. Agreed, some companys have been hacked but most of the places I use with my credit card number normally have very secure access.

FWIW
BC

JohnDar

" . . . are paid online or automatic deduction . . . " I too pay most bills on line, but I am afraid of automatic deductions because I don't like the idea of passing out my bank account numbers with all the hackers. I figure with a single point of payment, I can quickly identify the problem should one arise.

I've never had a problem with that in the years we've been doing it. I have had a problem with some butt-head lifting my credit card number and trying to use it. But the CC company caught it and stopped it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I think what we should all do is got to the nearest Verizon store and pay our bill in person. If every Verizon customer would do this in the month of January Verizon would see just how overwhelmed their stores would be and how ridiculous their idea was in the first place. The brainac that thought of that idea in the first place should be fired. Just think how much negative customer relations it caused.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I would love to do that. Only problem is I would have to stand in line for a long time. What we should do is everyone pay their bills one week late but on the same day at the same time.

We have the power we just don't use it. We could put anyone of these companies out of business if we wanted to. When they go stupid, everyone go to another company all at one time.

BC

If you call and threaten Verizon to change to AT&T they would start to cry. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint...ect. are all in finacial trouble. They can't afford to loose one customers. They are fishing to see what the customers will put up with. Based strickley on GREED, GREED, GREED! We as a populous could bury anyone of these companies, just by changing providers. Think about it. Scary isn't it.

jimtoo

If you call and threaten Verizon to change to AT&T they would start to cry. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint...ect. are all in finacial trouble. They can't afford to loose one customers. They are fishing to see what the customers will put up with. Based strickley on GREED, GREED, GREED! We as a populous could bury anyone of these companies, just by changing providers. Think about it. Scary isn't it.

Hi Maverick50,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I see you do not have the type or make of your RV listed in signature or profile. What kind of unit do you have?

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M