Misc. Wheels, Tires and Axle Discussions

mnelms

I have a 2007 cyclone and have had 2 flats in less than 1000 miles. Check all pressures and at 65 psi prior to departure.

I am looking to replace the 15 inch wheels with 16's just for the added peace of mind. Is this possible?
If not, will the current 15 inch wheels accomidate e-rated tires?
Thanks for your time,
MIke

Mike,

I have not had any blowouts yet with mine but considered replacing my 15" "D" rated tires with 15" "E" rated tires. I was given the rim mfg's number to call regarding whether the rims will handle 80psi and I was told by them that they can handle 75psi max. I am not sure if "E" rated tires at 75psi would be better then "D" rated tires at 65psi with the weight of these trailers so maybe others will chime in. I decided to nurse my 15" "D" rated tires by putting 70psi in them each trip and so far so good. Longest trip so far though has only been about 1300 miles each way.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Same comment as on previous post - I don't think this should be done. Tires on a TV are different in design than those for a trailer or 5er.

K

Ken Washington

I agree with Chuck! Trailer tires are made to withstand the stress of sharp turns and heavy weight! I don't think you will find anyone on this forum that would do this.

Ken

Uncle Rog

Ken, I concur 100%. The new GY'S I just had put on have a lot more steel and plies in them than the truck tires....The LT rating is for speed, they are rated at 75 MPH............

Loco

Mnelms,
We have 3795 and have put 11000 miles on it with no tire troubles has of date. Other than one nail in one and we had that one fix and it is back on the rig. I pull our rig at 70 mph most of the time and it is loaded heavy most trips. I checked with many tire manufactures
and they say you can run up to 75 psi in the 15 inch tires. I run 72 psi in ours at all times. I never and I mean never run them lower than 70 psi cold.. check them first thng in the mornings before we move the rig.I have a compressor on our rig so I can air up before we move it.Low pressure will get the tires every time.I have a friend with a Raptor and he has had two tire go this year. But he fail to check his air preesure before we hit the road. now he does like me and has no troubles at all

tdharley

Its good to hear that someone has had no problem with the tires. I myself opted to change the tires before a problem. I did not want to go through the hassle of repairng my rig and possibly ruining a couple of weeks of camping time.

I too had a Raptor like Loco's friend and had a tire blow out. It was not fun. I did check the tires for pressure and torque religiously before and during each trip to no avail.

We had the dealer change the tires and wheels on our 4012 to 16" E rated before we picked the thing up. I feel better with more leeway on the tires, and more clearance for where we go.
-JR

I think they are Es. Can't go look at it as it is at the dealer having the slides adjusted. The 15" tires on it were D rated, so it covered right up to the 15K that could be on the RV axles (3 axle). With the 16s, we could have the entire GVWR of the rig on the RV axles and not be over. As it is we should have plenty of allowance since some of the RV 18k lbs is pin weight.

Uncle Rog

I missed the part about three axles, us two 7k axle folks need the G rating. Good call on your part to upgrade now rather than later....

I figured that was the deal about your question, not knowing it has 3 axles. Waht was nice, they replaced the originals with wheels that are practically identical to the stock aluminums that were on it, and Michelins.

For those of you that put 16's on your trailer - which brand did you use? We're thinking of doing that but are having a hard time finding 16's with the E rating.

Thanks.

crazybanshee

The trailers running triple axles what size tire are you using? I have only 3.5" between the 225/75/15 tires. A 245/75/16 is as large as I could use. Thanks Doug

Deepsky3539

The standard tires on my 3795 are the same 225/75/15's that crazybanshee mentioned. I would love to replace mine with an E rated or at least nicer tire but there isnt much out there unless I want to buy new rims. After purchasing the rig, I don't have tons of money to toss around so thats a bit out of the question. Does anyone know of any good quality 15" E rated tires out there?

Pat McFall

crazybanshee said:
The trailers running triple axles what size tire are you using? I have only 3.5" between the 225/75/15 tires. A 245/75/16 is as large as I could use. Thanks Doug

Doug,

We had a Goodyear representative at the HDT Rally a couple of days ago. There was a BIG discussion on tires because that seems to be the number one "worry" for RV'ers. Some of the guys here (us included) are considering switching over to the 17 1/2 inch Commercial grade "low boy" tires that are made to carry heavy loads. A few of the guys here have already switched over. These tires are supposed to be the same size as 16" inch tires and the answer to our tire problems. I am no expert on this so you might want to contact some of the HDT guys that were at the seminar. Also, Kenny Doonan strongly recommends them and knows all about them. He can fill you in on what it takes to switch over if you are interested.

Wish you could have been here.

Pat

Big G

Big G
16" Freestar

Our Razor came with 16" Freestar ST235/80R16, Load Range "E" tires.
Has anyone had any experience with these? We just pulled it home the other day. This is another tire made in China, so it may have the same issues as those you were discussing.
Thanks,

cmart

I still have the same question. What size michelin tires should I put on my 08 3055? Michelin does not make ST235/80R16, so what size should I go to and not have to worry about rubbing or clearance????? I know someone has this answer.