Vessel Sink Addition

Anyone changed their existing bathroom sink for a vessel sink? Wanna do this for the wife, but would like to know what I'm getting myself into. :confused:

Scott & Sharon, + Charlie Brown (rescue chahua/terrier)
International 8100, pulling-
Cyclone 3912, hauling-
Can-Am Spyder, two recumbents, and two 49cc gas bicycles

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing you would have to do is change out the counter top. That should not be a big deal. I would get one of the larger sinks that are available at some big box building centers, such as Home Depot.
W have the OEM vessel sink and I think it is kinda small. It is a battle to keep it looking good.
If you change yours out, take some pics along the way and post them.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I agree with Dave. You would need a new sink, and counter top. You also have to drill the hole in the top (better have it right the 1st time) unless the top comes pre-drilled. The "P" trap might have to be modified along with longer supply lines.

santafesoul

The tail pipe, between the sink and the p-trap should not exceed 24", that is to make sure that the fluids are not traveling so fast that momentum carries the water through the trap. An empty trap does not stop sewer gasses from rising into your coach. If your coach plumbing is anything like ours, this won't be a problem.

P.

GOTTOYS

Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be happy to trade. That thing is next to impossible to keep clean on the outside. We don't like ours at all. Maybe a bigger one with smooth glass on the outside would be better...Don

GOTTOYS

Don, what do you mean by smooth glass?
The glass on the outside of ours is frosted, almost like it was sandblasted. This makes it really hard to clean off and polish easily. Last I heard the newer models have a slightly larger bowl but I don't know if it's finished the same way. Some like em, some don't. I'm thinking about taking ours out and putting in a standard vanity and sinktop...Don

Westwind

When we were looking for a new fifthwheel that was the first question my wife would ask, can we delete the vessel sink? The other wife's in the campground that had vessel sinks hated cleaning the water spots off them and you had to do it every time you used the sink. I would be sure that it was a solid color or something that wasn't frosted or clear. Needless to say we ended up with a Bighorn with a undermounted sink and vanity. Can't say I'm happy with the sink, it's a dull plastic looking finish so the jury is out on how easy this is going to be to clean.

Speedy

Don,

I have never seen the frosted sink before. Ours is clear glass and it's a pain to keep clean/spot free. I can see how a painted or colored glass might stay cleaner longer but I think toothpaste spittle will still cause spots. As far as the frosted exterior I would have to say that is really dumb by design. Everyone knows that frosted glass is a pain to clean.

You could look into spraying on a acrylic enamal on the outside of the bowl to aid in cleaning. Since it's on the outside it should wear pretty well and not need recoating for years if ever.

Thank you all for the excellent info. Especially regarding the difficulty cleaning the clear/semi-clear models. We're looking at something like this one:
70-copper-vessel-sinks-lowes-300x285.jpg

Still not sure what countertop we'll go with. Should be a fun little project for me. Being here in Port Angeles, I may have to wait 'till the weather improves. Whenever I do get to it, I will be sure to post a few before/after pics. :p

Pastor Scott

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We have the frosted vessel sink and really like it. We use Gel Gloss to keep it spot free. Also use this product on the counter tops.

Best Wishes!