50 amp crank cord reel

wingfoot

I'm looking for an alternative to store my 50 amp shore power cord. I have found one that's a Hand Crank from TDI Industries for about $128.00 made for a boat/RV. I don't want to go thru the hassel of hard wiring my cord. Plus the electric ones are about $350.00. Also, I was wondering how you guys exit your storage for shore power hook up with the hard wired units?

Larry

porthole

Retired
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=134988&viewfull=1#post134988
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=143897&viewfull=1#post143897

wingfoot

Thanks Duane for your response..Your metal box really looks great. I was really wanting the hand crank version so I would not have to fool with the electiric hook-up. Plus all the electric ones I saw came with cords.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You cannot use the "anaconda" cord that comes with these trailers. It is way too stiff.

hahahahahaha, so true! Now imagine wrestling it when it's 19 degrees outside! We were lucky to get 3 loops. Why can't all cords be made with the fine strand flexible cord?

Erika

wingfoot

OK...I'm really glad you cleared that up...looks like I'll have to go with an electric with the special cord included..

thanks again

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
hahahahahaha, so true! Now imagine wrestling it when it's 19 degrees outside! We were lucky to get 3 loops. Why can't all cords be made with the fine strand flexible cord?

Erika

I moved mine the other day and it was only 31 outside. It was like rolling up a tree branch LOL.

rodr6903

The manufacturers need to use the heavy jacketed cable for all the well intentioned but underinformed people who abuses these cords thus the manufacturer uses a very heavy stiff jacket to uphold the tree bark, driving over ii, and other simple hazards to a soft flexible jacket and fine copper.

Suggestion is to install a shore port used on boats by removing the feed through. then buy a very flexible 50amp marine cable to the desired length to make it what you want. Some rv's are now utilizing this approach as it gives back more storage from the cavity for the stuff it back in design.

porthole

Retired
Just an FYI. I did not order the reel from Heartland, way to pricey. I did order from an aftermarket supplier (i'll have to look it up if interested).
The reel is dropped shipped from the supplier, TDI out of Florida. They make a specific reel for Heartland. So if you were to order from a supplier you can call TDI after ordering and they will ship the correct reel.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Just an FYI. I did not order the reel from Heartland, way to pricey. I did order from an aftermarket supplier (i'll have to look it up if interested).
The reel is dropped shipped from the supplier, TDI out of Florida. They make a specific reel for Heartland. So if you were to order from a supplier you can call TDI after ordering and they will ship the correct reel.

I am interested if you can let me know who the supplier was.

porthole

Retired
The manufacturers need to use the heavy jacketed cable for all the well intentioned but underinformed people who abuses these cords thus the manufacturer uses a very heavy stiff jacket to uphold the tree bark, driving over ii, and other simple hazards to a soft flexible jacket and fine copper.

Suggestion is to install a shore port used on boats by removing the feed through. then buy a very flexible 50amp marine cable to the desired length to make it what you want. Some rv's are now utilizing this approach as it gives back more storage from the cavity for the stuff it back in design.

You don't need to buy marine cable, the flexible stuff is available to anyone through an electrical supply house. Somewhere I have the cable number, thought I had it saved as an email but I can't find it.
But it will be similar to this
http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/SOOW/SOOW6-4.html

Or, you could buy just the cord through the TDI site

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am in the process of having a reel replaced. Maybe someone could work a deal for the old real and get the cable that is on it.