Day/Nite Shades

MTPockets

I had an issue with the day/nite shades on my new 3055RL Big Horn. Issue being there was 'no' means to actually lower and/or raise the nite shade... My other units had a finger rail between the day and nite shade, and I've heard others say they have knobs on their Big Horn and Landmarks.... Mine has neither - just a 1/2 " solid aluminum rail with nothing to grab. It's really inconvenient when trying to raise or lower. The folds are all jammed tight and there is no way to get your finger into them for leverage getting them down.... Customer Service said they would send me knobs no charge to keep me happy, but I was advised also by customer service this is the way they do them all at that plant and it will not be covered by warranty, so if I wanted to dealer to do it, i would be charged..

Does anyone else have this problem? What if I don't get the knobs mounted correctly? I'm told by customer service the warranty would not cover anything I do regarding this, so i'm stuck with a brand new unit, day-nite shades that are grossly in-convenient to use, and the factory saying too bad - that's the way it is...... Not what I was expecting from Heartland.

I suggest that Heartland review their purchasing policy of these shades and "always" provide either a knob or a slotted rail.

See you in Gillette, WY

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I thought that you had said in a previous thread that Heartland was sending you the knobs to install. What happened to that resolution?

MTPockets

I did say previously Heartland was sending the knobs... It's what I had been told. They also said I could decide whether to install myself or have the dealer do it. After a month I did not have the knobs and was told there had been an oversight.. Knobs are being sent next week (latest story) - BUT - apparently the customer service department manager, overriding my customer service contact, said that it would not be a warranty item. The shades are what they are and if I had the dealer do it, I would have to pay for that installation. Also, if I screw up the installation - it's mine to eat..... I'm between a rock and a hard place... Un-usable shades, or at least very in-convenient and no support on getting them installed properly - - - - but, it looks like I'll have knobs some day.

ncc1701e

The shades in our Sundance did not come with knobs either. I bought some at camping world and installed them. Not a big issue to install, predrill a very small pilot hole and use the screws that come with the knobs. Just as long as you don't get wild and punch a hole in a window not much of a challenge. If you have a concern about the drill slipping you could always hold a small piece of plywood or something similar between the blinds and the window to prevent an accident.

MTPockets

I guess I'll install them myself, but I'm big on principal. Why supply a product that can be very difficult to use when it is very easy for the manufacturer to do it right to begin with - for a fraction of what this is costing me/us now... As a matter of fact, they do it right on many of their models, including my Big Horn in prior years. I did a lot of shopping before deciding on this Big Horn, toured 4 plants in indiana - 1200 miles from my home - talked to a lot of people and after deciding, contacted the dealer and worked out the deal.... I even ordered the drop down counter option - they showed it on the bill of materials too, but mid stream decided to delete it - probably waht happened on the shade choice... They need to stop making these mid-model changes and feature adjustments - It's aggravating. Some interesting replies too on the Good Sam 5th wheel forums on this subject.

ncc1701e

I absolutely agree with the mid-year changes and the simple things that could have been done right the first time. If there is one thing I have not understood about Heartland is what seems to be a lack of quality control in the overall process. I came from an industry where doing it right the first time was always cheaper than having to redo it later. We love the layout of our Sundance 2800RL, but there have been so many simple things to fix this first year it is hard to understand how the trailer ever got out of the factory. The wife has seen a couple Big Country layouts she really likes and might even consider a few years of full-time with the right trailer, but I don't know that I could ever convience her to buy another Heartland with all silly little things that have shown up on the Sundance.