No heat from bathroom outlet/vent.

DavidB.

These last few night here in south Florida have been quite cold.

Fired up the old (new) furnace and found that there is no heat coming out of the bathroom floor vent.

Have read/heard about this in other threads/post on the forum but cannot find it.
Seems like it's pretty common problem.

Is it a relatively easy fix or does one have to have a service technician to repair?

Thanks in advance,

DavidB.

danemayer

I'd start by looking at the floor register to see if the duct is attached. The other end of the duct might be visible with the basement wall removed.

Tool958

We had that happen on our last SOB camper. It was cold in the front bedroom the first time we used the furnace. Liked to have never convinced the dealership that I thought the duct was off of the register. They looked at it once and said they had gotten complaints about that particular model before. They explained that it was due to too small of a hose ran to the bedroom. We took it and tried it again. It was the same as before the dealer had looked at it. What finally convinced them that the duct was actually off was when we turned on the bathroom vent, it sucked in cold air from the outside, through the register into the camper. Once they reattached the duct, we could feel warm air through it. They were right on the low flow though. To stay warm in the bedroom, we had to run an electric heater also.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
David, What trailer do you have? Where in FL are you. If you're not too far away, I may be able to help. We are in between Orlando & Kissimmee.
The other replys are probably correct though. One end or the other of the duct must have come off either the vent or the furnace. Pull the duct first and see if it's attached. If not, you'll have to access wherever the ducting runs to re-attach.

DavidB.

Thanks Ray, but we may be a little too far for a heater duct problem, we're in the Estero area...but you're welcome to come down anyway for a beer ;);).

When I have moment, I'll start pulling off panels.

It's a 2012 24 RBS.

DavidB.

TeJay

David,
Didn't know you were in FL. Seven weeks and we're heading that way. We had the same problem on our 24-RBS 2010. The hose from the furnace out to the bathroom was about 5 feet to long and it snaked through the underbelly. They shortened it and we did get some heat to the bath but not what I'd call good. The amount of air flow is about 20% at best so I think there's something wrong. I don't believe that duct hose is very efficient either. I would think that the hose itself presents a lot of resistance to air flow. I know every one uses it but I still don't like it. I may look at that issue this next Summer. For now we keep the bathroom door open for extra heat.

TeJay

lwmcguir

You can fry an egg on our bathroom register. Talked to the heater folks by no real resolution. Put on an adjustable register to push more air / heat into the living area. Wish I had your problem.

Willym

You can fry an egg on our bathroom register. Talked to the heater folks by no real resolution. Put on an adjustable register to push more air / heat into the living area. Wish I had your problem.
X2.

I did find the ducting disconnected on rear register.

lwmcguir

I wanted to reply early, But you fixed it. Good job that is the same problem that we had in out last trailer.

I will check it out. Don't usually need the heater however it will burn your foot if you step on the register when it is running. I remember a few other folks had this same problem a couple of years ago. Never heard any real resolution though.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I will check it out. Don't usually need the heater however it will burn your foot if you step on the register when it is running. I remember a few other folks had this same problem a couple of years ago. Never heard any real resolution though.

I haven't had a problem with ours (I put adjustable registers everywhere), but I wonder if you could attach some kind of diverter to the duct in the basement that would direct some of the flow out into the basement. Might help keep that area a bit warmer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, I did what you are suggesting. On our Horn both the BR and toilet ducting is exposed (metal) duct in the basement. SO...I drilled a few holes in the metal ducts and now the basement is warm. It did not cut down any air flow to either register. BTW, the toilet register is the hottest one in the coach. I did install registers with dampeners on all the registers.

Westwind

I bought some magnetic vinyl register cover vinyl material that can be cut to the size of the standard registers in our RV's. I used it on our previous TT to control the heat coming out of the register and to also keep dirt, objects, and food in the kitchen going into it when they are not being used. When we need heat we just removed them. In our Bighorn there is only one register that concerns us and it's near the island in the center of the RV near the food prep area. We will see when we go to Florida in a few weeks and have the heat on how we need to place them if at all to help out the movement of the heat.

PeternLiane

Do you think one of those round Diffusers would work to keep the heat down in the bathroom? The airflow can be adjusted all the way from none too high. They can be used in both heat and A/C.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do you think one of those round Diffusers would work to keep the heat down in the bathroom? The airflow can be adjusted all the way from none too high. They can be used in both heat and A/C.

Yes, they really do help. We added these to all our vents in our North Trail when we had it. I think they are available online, and maybe your local dealer's parts store. Even seen them at Camping World.

Erika

PS -- many of our rigs have different heat vent types. I know the NT has round plastic ones, we have 2x10 plastic ones, and the bigger rigs have 4x10 metal ones. Check around, you can find adjustable vents for any of these.

PeternLiane

Yes, they really do help. We added these to all our vents in our North Trail when we had it. I think they are available online, and maybe your local dealer's parts store. Even seen them at Camping World.

Erika

PS -- many of our rigs have different heat vent types. I know the NT has round plastic ones, we have 2x10 plastic ones, and the bigger rigs have 4x10 metal ones. Check around, you can find adjustable vents for any of these.

Sounds good, I'll have to order one and give it a try.

alrmel

I have a 2011 Sundance 285BH and have the same problem with the bedroom and bathroom. It's been at the dealer for three weeks now and they still haven't fixed anything. I'm in Wisconsin and was using it in Jan. and Feb and needed electric heater and electric blanket to keep warm. Then the power wires burned off at a junction box down in the belly. Dealer charged $180 to fix that. Says I overloaded the wiring. These new rv's are nearly unusable crap.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Alrmel. This is a great place to get and share information.
I think that your dealer is wrong by saying that you overloaded the wiring. If the wires were overloaded, it is the circuit breakers job to trip if overloaded. It was most likely caused by a bad connection.
If you are not getting head then you should check the heat line connections at the furnace. They may have come off.
And remove the underbelly and check that you don't have a crushed or disconnected line down there.
Sometimes we are better off checking these problems ourselves.
Just curious, do you want to share the name of the dealer?

Peace
Dave

alrmel

Thanks. I'm happy to share the dealers name. Its FMB Trailer Sales in Holmen.
My electrician gave me the same answer on the melted wires. The unit has been Coulee Region Rv for about the last 4 weeks and I'm getting a little disappointed with them because I stopped on Saturday and from what I saw, they've done nothing yet. This Rv warranty doesn't appear to be worth the paper they print it on.
I here the whole industry is like this. Imagine if the auto industry worked like that.

CliffP

I here the whole industry is like this. Imagine if the auto industry worked like that.

I agree, that was my first thought when I heard that all rv manufacturers had problems.

We have had good experiences dealing with Heartland and our dealer though. Its too bad we've had to but they have stood behind everything for us.