Cold air return?

traveler44

I cut out the area behind the louvered panel under the fridge and hinged the panel and it makes a great storage area for cartons of cola and bottled water. I know others have done this as well. Was this space designed as a cold air return for the furnace or something? Somebody on another forum claims that none of the inside air is drawn through the furnace when it is running. Just got me wondering. Tom

traveler44

Please disregard the former post because all of this was answered in a thread started earlier today about having problems with return air. I guess I should stay up to date on what is posted before asking questions. Thanks Tom

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I cut out the area behind the louvered panel under the fridge and hinged the panel and it makes a great storage area for cartons of cola and bottled water. I know others have done this as well. Was this space designed as a cold air return for the furnace or something? Somebody on another forum claims that none of the inside air is drawn through the furnace when it is running. Just got me wondering. Tom

None of the inside air is drawn for combustion but it is drawn back and reheated. Otherwise the furnace would constantly be trying to warm outside air up to the thermostat setting. If you have blocked off the cold air return, then the air it will circulate will be from the colder basement area only. The furnace draws outside air for combustion via one of the two ports on the side of the rig. The other is the exhaust port.