Traveling from Northern New Jersey to Willow Tree RV Resort, Longs SC

Vinny773

Any ideas of places to stop and see enroute to Willow Tree? Spring trip leaving around April 1st until the 8th. Where should we stop the first night? What should we miss? Anyone interested in going? Let me know!

cashb

Being in exactly the opposite direction (Florida), I don't have any ideas for you.. But I really want to go to Willow Tree! Looks like a beautiful campground and people on the forum have recommended it. Let us know how you liked it, and what you did enroute when your trip is over, please!

ncc1701e

Vinny,

We should be at Willow Tree during you time there. Please look us up.

Tom & Millie

jnbhobe

Since I always have to be somewhere on a time table that would be a one day run for me. Maybe someday I can relax. lol

cjhicks

If you want just a place to stop for one night along Rt 95, We always stop at Bass Lake Campground in Dillon SC at Exit 193 . It is a Passport America Campground nothing fancy but very easy on and off and it is clean.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hey Vinny,

Are you planning to overnight at a campground or rest area? We usually stop over at Yogi Bear's in Emporia, Virginia. It's easy off I-95 and they have long pull thru sites by the office so you don't have to unhook for the night. That is about 6 1/2 hours for us and should be about the same for you if you use the NJ Turnpike.

Don't forget about the propane restriction at the Harbor Tunnel on I-95. You have to take the Francis Scott Key Bridge to avoid it. Watch re-fueling on I-95 for low clearance!!!! Using truck stops for fuel is a good idea. We usually leave home and make it to the Flying J at Exit 104 in Carmel Church, VA. Next stop is Kenly Plaza at Exit 106 in Kenly, NC.

You are going to love Willow Tree! Did I say I'm slightly jealous? Well then, I'm slightly jealous!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Try to leave so you are traveling between Baltimore, MD and Fredericksburg, VA between 10:00am and 2:00pm. That should help you avoid the worse (and even more worse!) traffice in the DC metro area.

porthole

Retired
Here is a Lat Lon for teh center of the 695 bridge
N39 13.198 W76 31.477

The signs in the area can be tricky, having a way point to follow may make it a bit easier.

If you miss the roads that lead to the bridge, the back area of Baltimore has some of the worse roads I have ever seen, especially with a trailer, and it puts you in less then desirable areas - and don't ask me how I know.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Here is a Lat Lon for teh center of the 695 bridge
N39 13.198 W76 31.477

The signs in the area can be tricky, having a way point to follow may make it a bit easier.

If you miss the roads that lead to the bridge, the back area of Baltimore has some of the worse roads I have ever seen, especially with a trailer, and it puts you in less then desirable areas - and don't ask me how I know.
OH HOW I REMEMBER THAT TRIP!!! Good advice Duane.......

Vinny773

MarySue and I are preparing for our trip to South Carolina. Has anyone from the Jersey area used routes 1 and 13? We are trying to avoid the DC area route 95 if possible. Debbie I know you travel frequently from Jersey, pro's and con's of using routes 1 and 13? Any height restrictions, etc.?

porthole

Retired
1 and 13 will have lights and typical speed restrictions through the tows. Can be a relaxing ride though. I enjoy it either pulling the trailer, riding the bike or going with just a vehicle.

During the many trips to the Carolina's I would alternate between 95 and the 1 + 13 route.

Rrloren

Just returned from Myrtle Beach and we used Rt. 301 from De. to Rt 50 in Annapolis and took that to the loop around DC back to I-95 S. From S. Jersey we hit the DC area late morning and had minimul traffic.Used it on the return also.
Used to take Rt 301 all the way to AP Hill Army Camp but there are too many towns and lights. The route I just took was much faster.IMHO.