12V outlet??

newman

Does everyone have a 12V outlet somewhere in their rig? Our 2008 does not, and it makes it somewhat inconveinent. I have thought about adding one, but I'm not sure I want to start drilling holes yet.

LaurieK

12 v outlet

We just bought a 2008 Sundance in May and we found no 12 volt outlet either. My husband plans to install one when he has time. First he has to check the water fill hoses because we discovered we were unable to add water beyond a 1/3 full due to a problem with the vent hose. He will try to check for low spots in that first and we hope that takes care of the problem. The factory said there might be plastic shavings in the tank but we hope not.

Last edited:

fishn2dmax

Why wouldn't Heartland install a 12 volt recepticles in or around all television areas? :mad: When boondocking and not able to run a generator ( late night), we always use small 12 volts to 120 Volt inverters and plug them in to the 12 volt outlets for powering tv's, DVD or video games. We also charge our cell phones on the 12 volts. Almost all other makes continue to install at least one 12 volt receptacle. It can't be cost reasons since there isn't much cost. Heartland please put at least one 12 volt receptacle back in your coaches. This is a basic required item and should have NEVER been removed!

LaurieK

plastic not wood shavings

Sorry I typed wood shavings in the water tank but it should have been plastic shavings. I went back and corrected it in my original message.

Pulltab

I agree, the 12v is a must in an rv. We have a fantastic fan we use to keep cool that plugs into a 12v. Now I am going to have to install one. :(

JJAK17

We have a 2007 and we do not have any 12v plug ins either. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If someone does add one post the procedure and your suggestions and ideas. I would also like to add one also.

StevieWonder

I put two in the belly box ... but you can buy converters that change 115VAC to 12VDC. I use one to keep my cell phone charged without having to carry the AC and the DC chargers. Radio Shack sells them. I'm sure there are other sources.

fishn2dmax

Stevie,

For those of us that boondock most of the time and don't always have access to 110 VAC shore power, the 110 VAC to 12 VDC converter isn't the answer for us, but it is a good idea for those that do have full time 110 VAC power. We like to use our 12 Volts battery system for as many things as we can, so I installed a small 12 VDC to 110VAC inverter to run our 110 VAC TV's, DVD and video game...etc. While I have a Honda Generator, we only run it for a few hours a day to keep the main batteries charged.

It would be really nice to have a few factory installed 12 VDC recepticles in every Heartland / Sundance. Ideally there would be three: one in the storage compartment; one in or around the entertainment center; and one in or around the Bedroom TV cabinet. Even if it is offered as an option, I would have been more than willing to pay extra for a few 12 VDC recepticles in my coach.

StevieWonder

There is one more, relatively inexpensive and flexible solution. Buy a decent 12VDC jumper box. They typically have 500-1000 amp/hr capacity, are relatively cheap and portable from location to location. They can be easily charged off the tow vehicle electrical system, so unless you're staying in the trailer 24/7 you can charge it when you're out and about for use when you return. Cheaper than running multiple outlets.

BUT ... it should be something that's part of the build package from Heartland.

Sundance_kid

Our 08 Sundance (3300SK) came with a 12v outlet with the antena booster in the bedroom. I doubt that any trailer manufacture could afford to try to cover all the different situations that people would want their trailers for. JMHO

Shadowchek

I was lucky and got a 12 volt recepticle at the desk near the living room entertainment system in our very early 2008 with some 2007 parts BH 3400Rl. I do not have one at the bedroom tv location where I would use it most for a 13" A/c, D/c tv. Could I tap into the 12v power source for the antenna booster to add an outlet or would that overload the circuit.
Thanks in advance.

Chuck Richard

I agree with most of you here, we just bought an 09 Bighorn and the bedroom TV is a 12 TV with an adaptor for 110. If the antenna boost had the 12v receptical we would be set for both AC plug in and boondocking. Maybe they have a noise problem on 12 volt like I've see in other rigs.

Last edited:

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
We have a 12 volt outlet over our desk in the 3055rl. Trouble is there is too much voltage drop because of the #13 wire and the long run, that it cannot run our 250 inverter. The solutoin is going in soon. #2 cable from the batteries back to the desk, a small distribution fused box and no problem with the voltage drop. Also 2 100 amp fuses in line very close to the batteries.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We have a 12 volt outlet under the top shelf above the desk. It also has such a voltage drop that it won't run our 200 inverter. I guess I am going to have to rewire it. Our inverter works great in the truck, but won't power lizzies laptop in the trailer. Can't imagine why they would bother to put one in and not use heavy enough guage wire to run the inverter.
Fred

jbeletti

Fred,

I'd say those 12 volt outlets in the trailer are likely there for cell phone chargers, music player chargers etc.

When it comes to inverters, it's a whole different thing. And what size wire to run is a function of the size inverter and the distance from the battery bank to the inverter.

Jim

Shadowchek

I Guess I will just have to put some in myself when I get a chance using some good wire. We haven't even had it a week yet so that is just one of many mods to come. I have some complaints but I bought this 5ver because I liked it the best and still do. Compared to other units the quality of the cabinets and other things are very good. We are looking forward to our maiden voyage sometime soon

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
For "good" 12 volt power back to the desk area, from the batteries, at least # 4 wire will work
Rand

steveo

#4 wire to big,i ran a #14 wire with a 15 amp fuse at the batteries,it works good with my conveter.i don`t think a #4 wire is needed..:cool:

#14 wire=15 amps
#12 wire=20 amps
#10 wire=30 amps

wdk450

Gang:
I use one of those vibrating/heat back cushions for back problems. I brought it with me on my last summer's big trip to use when I was driving but found I needed it in the evenings and at night in the trailer. I have a 110vac/12vdc adapter for it, but forgot to bring it. I obtained a couple of 12 volt cigarette lighter sockets with inline wiring while on the road, and unscrewed the light fixtures in the living room by the recliner and over the bed. Then I spliced the sockets into the light fixture wiring. The back cushion worked great and made me a lot more comfortable. There are 12 volt light fixtures to tap into all over the trailer.
You could even make (solder) a lamp socket adapter, so you could just unscrew the 12 volt lamp and screw in your 12 volt socket adapter.

pegmikef

I installed one in the bedroom for my fan. I was lucky because I found that one of the fuse ports on my fuse panel was not used. There was a fuse installed in the last port, but there was no wire hooked to it, so I used it. I understand a lot of the rigs have one or more unused ports.