Convenience package

MTPockets

This is our first 5th wheel and maybe we're going through the same types of things every new RV owner goes through. This is our 5th RV and the only one that seems to be short on a few conveniences that should have been either standard, or at least offered by Heartland as a convenience package. We did not buy this unit on price, but rather build, quality, and floor plan; The Landmark was larger than we wanted; and, had we spent more time thinking through some of these little things, we would have been happier. Heartland could avert some stress by offering an option that would include some of these conveniences:

Example:

1) Day/Night shades with knobs or finger slots instead of just the flat bar that we got. Shades are not usable this way.
2) A Darker nite shade material. Not much difference in what is supplied now.
3) On the lift-up cabinet doors, the piston lift or some other means to keep the door up when desired. (Which is quite often)
4) Longer sewer hose storage tube. We can get only the short hose in there. Extra hoses have to be stashed in the garage somewhere or else buy another tube.
5) Storage drawer in bottom step to bedroom. We did not get the vac system, so the drawer should be there instead.
6) Built-in storage cabinet in wall of garage for misc. small items like, rubber gloves, hose nozzle, water filter, hand cleaner, etc.
7) 3055RL bath cabinet - A cabinet mounted flat to the walls instead of the larger cabinet that protrudes over the sink.... Sink is virtually un-usable in any conventional manner, so I removed the cabinet, replaced the overhead lights and installed mirrors and a stainless steel storage shelf I aquired from West Marine. Looks much better and works great.

Maybe item 7 wouldn't fit a convenience group, but banging your head isn't convenient.

I'm sure there are other items that folks can suggest; and I realize I can install these things myself, but a package offered by the factory could save some time and stress on the part of a new owner if these things were suggested in a single package to begin with. All in the name of convenience for a buyer and good will on the part of the factory.

Don't mis-understand, we love our Big Horn and sooner or later we'll have it the way we want it - Just trying to help future buyers avoid some un-necessary aggravation.

What do 'you' think?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't know that you will recieve any comfort from my reply but maybe a different perspective. I can't compare my prior experience with RV's either. We've had everyting from Pop-ups to 5th wheels and one motor home. I've always been one of those guys that does most everything I'm capable of doing on my own. I'll ask for help if I need it and be thankful. Things I know nothing about, I leave to the experts.
On your items.
The Shades. I've read your previous posts. I thought you had knobs coming form Heartland. If it were me and I wasn't able to get knobs from them, I'd find my own and install them. A few bucks and an hour with a drill and screwdriver and it's over. As for the darkness? What suits you may not be everyone's cup of tea.
As for the lift up doors, have you asked your dealer? Contacted Heartland? I really don't know why you didn't get them but you may not get much response now from Heartland because of the weekend and the upcoming show. Everyone is pretty busy.
My Sewer hose storage was also less than desirable. I now keep ALL of my sewer hoses (30 ft. total), connectors, elbows and clamps in one tote. It actually is easier than using the chute.
Step drawer? We didn't order the vacuum either, don't have a drawer, and have so much storage as it is, I can't imagine needing one.
By garage, I assume you are referring to the basement storage area. I have added racks and hooks as needed for storing anything I need. I really feel a cabinet might get in the way of the openness of the storage area. Maybe a door or slider where the vacuum was supposed to go would be a nice addition. easy enough to do.
Regarding the medicine cabinet in the bath. You did exactly what I would have done. Remove it and install something more to my liking.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you'll never get everything you want in RV's as they are on the market today. There are custom builders out there that will build you one to your exact specs. I can guarantee you'll need a big tow vehicle and have a 6 figure purchase price. One of the great things about RVing is being able to make your rig your own by customizing and modifying it as you go along.

I truly hope you get your shade knob and door lift issues resolved.

jnbhobe

Well said Ray, I'm like you if I don't like it the way its built I either order it the way I want it or modify it.

MTPockets

Can't disagree at all.... Just suggesting that if some of these things were offered when they are not standard, they would have been a convenient option. Just like some of the other things on the options list, it provides some more choices - these in the convenience area. I 'was' promissed the knobs and originally a choice as to whether to do them myself or have the dealer do them - I hadn't decided, but when the knobs were not here after a month I inquired and was told they would still send but would not cover a dealer installation. Last message I got was they would be in my hands next week. The month delay and change with regard to dealer install stressed me a bit. I do agree too that what one person thinks is great, another may have a different view. I spent 39 years in an Industrial customer service environment - We had to make sure the customer was satisfied always, and made constant changes and adjustments whenever we were a little lax. Just expressing mine, and suggesting what I believe would be improvements for future buyers.

Netem

As far as the med. cabinet, the walls are only 2 in. thick so if it was flush with the wall would not be of much use and no insulation behind it. If you look back at old posts you will see that Heartland has made many changes while listening to their customers but they cannot satisfy everyone.

Birchwood

We have a Landmark and see many nicer standard accessories on other fifth wheels
like Mobile Suites and New Horizon units but these fivers are 50 or 60 thousand dollars
more than our Landmark.If you really want everything check out a new motor coach
in the 300 K range.I think Heartland provides good dollar value.

MTPockets

This Forum is for Design Ideas "What I would like to see added or improved in the BIG HORN 5th Wheels" that's on the header page - I simply gave my 2 cents and suggestions .... so why the tone reagrding my suggestions? I didn't say I wanted "everything" - I didn't say the cabinet should be 'in' the wall - just flat 'on' the wall. And, I 'did' order it the way I wanted it - Just sayin', the Day/nite was a surprise 'cause what we had seen had slots or knobs. Even the dealer was surprised but offered no solution; hence - my suggestions for a convenience group option to me - makes sense. Doesn't have to be exactly these items, but if people would come up with conveniences that would make sense I think Heartland would want to know.

MTPockets

RE: Item 3) - Lift-up Cabinet doors. Heartland customer service called back and was very helpful. Apparently, my unit was built during a short (a few weeks) period when these lifts were not being installed. They have since gone back to installing them on new units and will cover mine under warranty for all 12 doors.

The issue of added stress on the hinges was answered too. If the piston is installed so the door is open 90 degrees or more, there is more stress than if the piston is mounted and the door is allowed to swing open less than 90 degrees. When there is a hinge problem, they fix it using an epoxy to reinstall the hinge, and with the epoxy it is stronger, there is no more problem.

FYI

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
1) Day/Night shades with knobs or finger slots instead of just the flat bar that we got. Shades are not usable this way.
I AGREE.

2) A Darker nite shade material. Not much difference in what is supplied now.
WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A CHOICE. I PUT 1" FOIL BACKED FOAM ON THE WINDOWS WE NEVER NEVER RAISE THE BLINDS ON. INCLUDING ALL WINDOWS IN THE BEDROOM.

3) On the lift-up cabinet doors, the piston lift or some other means to keep the door up when desired. (Which is quite often)
4) Longer sewer hose storage tube. We can get only the short hose in there. Extra hoses have to be stashed in the garage somewhere or else buy another tube.
I AGREE. I HAD TO MODIFY MINE TO MAKE IT BIGGER. MY STORAGE DOOR OPENS UP ON THE OUTSIDE, I KNOCKED OUT THE END WALL AND ADDED ABOUT 24" WIDER. I NOW HAVE A 10' AND 15' HOSE WITH FITTINGS ON IN THERE.

5) Storage drawer in bottom step to bedroom. We did not get the vac system, so the drawer should be there instead. I GOT THE VAC. SYSTEM WITH STORAGE COMP. ON THE HALL FLOOR.
6) Built-in storage cabinet in wall of garage for misc. small items like, rubber gloves, hose nozzle, water filter, hand cleaner, etc. YOU WILL HAVE TO MODIFY THIS YOURSELF TO WHAT YOU WANT. I THINK THE BEST IS TO MAKE THE STORAGE COMP. AS BIG AS THEY CAN MAKE IT, I WANT IT TO FIT MY NEEDS.

7) 3055RL bath cabinet - A cabinet mounted flat to the walls instead of the larger cabinet that protrudes over the sink.... Sink is virtually un-usable in any conventional manner, so I removed the cabinet, replaced the overhead lights and installed mirrors and a stainless steel storage shelf I aquired from West Marine. Looks much better and works great. MY BATH CABINET IS OK. HOWEVER, MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS THERE IS NO COUNTER SPACE AROUND THE LAVATORY. NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO PUT A SMALL MIRROR ON THE COUNTER AND CHANGE OUT MY CONTACTS. I FINALLY WAS ABLE TO GET A PIECE OF THE SAME COUNTER TOP FROM HEARTLAND AND ADDED ABOUT 4" TO THE WIDTH. WHAT A MIRACLE THAT LITTLE BIT OF COUNTER TOP MAKES!!