Step Ladder for Trucks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's a little something I learned about the other day in our local paper. Seems the inventor lives close by, like the neighboring city. I've contacted them about being able to pick one up direct and not incur shipping. They are going to get back with me this week when the next production run finishes. I know Ford has something like this an option, but GM is still behind the 8-ball on it. I like the idea of being able to remove it, if needed.

http://www.stepdaddyladder.com/stepdaddy/index.html

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
It looks pretty good John, looking forward to your review of it when you get it installed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Here's a little something I learned about the other day in our local paper. Seems the inventor lives close by, like the neighboring city. I've contacted them about being able to pick one up direct and not incur shipping. They are going to get back with me this week when the next production run finishes. I know Ford has something like this an option, but GM is still behind the 8-ball on it. I like the idea of being able to remove it, if needed.

http://www.stepdaddyladder.com/stepdaddy/index.html

John, someone in WI is manufacturing a step that slides out from under the bumper on the left side of the truck. Tom Weber has one and a few other WI members have had it installed. I believe for less money and they don't take up any room in the bed. I'll look for more info. The same Manufacturer is working on a design for a side step for the front of the bed access. That's the one I'm waiting for.

Found It! http://www.debostep.com/inst/10321_Chevy_2500_3500_A.pdf

Rodbuster

I have one built into the tailgate of the F-350 and I love it.

The "stepdaddy" that John is showing strikes me as a safer way to go opposed to the "debostep". I didn't see any type of grab rail to steady yourself going up or coming down on the debostep (unless you use the truck bedrail). The other issue that I would have with the debostep is that the what seems to be a 6X6 stepping pad seems like a pretty small target.... especially when you are coming down with something in your hands. I visualize coming down and missing that step.
My thoughts stem from me not being as agile as I used to be.

Rodbuster

truknutt

Committed Member
I have a DEBO Step on my 250 and it was the most convenient step I'd found for MY daily use. The problem with tailgate mounted steps is "What happens when I remove or change out the tailgate, it's no longer there?" I bought this years ago when my agility wasn't in question.

Now that I'm "less agile", I like the function and versatility of the Bestop Trekstep. It can be used with or without a tailgate and you always have the truck bed for a handhold.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
John,

John Proto has the Step Daddy Ladder and actually has had lots of problems with it. I'll talk to him this evening about what his actual issues were and get back to you. I know he bought it at the AC RV Show last year!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Deb, I'd be interested in knowing what the problems were with the StepDaddy. Could be the screws that attach it to the tailgate don't hold as well as they should.

Ray, a close second would be the Debo step. I don't carry loads up/down the small step ladder I use, but move them to the tailgage and then onto or off the truck. I bungee the step ladder at the rear of the bed, but it does get in the way at times.

Dave, the TrukStep looks like the entry is made from the side of the gate in the photo, with the step and hanger hanging under the bumper. Not to keen on that, along with the trip hazard of the gate cable.

Lance & Jo

John, neighbor here has one installed on his Ford, tried it out and liked it so much that I have it on the list for this spring when we get north of the border again.

PUG

Pug
I just throw in a heavy duty plastic milk crate in the bed of the pickup. I grab it when needing an assist up into the bed or standing on it to give higher access to tool box or bed.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
John,

I spoke to John Proto and he said that although the ladder is constructed very strong there are issues that create a problem for him. The installed ladder makes the tailgate extremely heavy. He has a Ford F-350 and has to put wood blocks under the legs of the ladder as the truck is too high. The company sent him some extensions but he would have to alter the ladder in order to attach them. Without the extensions, in many cases he has to put wood blocks under the ladder legs so they make contact with the ground. He said you may call him if you want more info so I'll PM his number.

Lance & Jo

John I don't have one yet but looking at the same one you are. Would get it now but it's hard to get things down to La Paz with out paying lots of duty and extra shipping cost!! So it looks like a late spring/early summer job.

Lance & Jo

The guy next door has one mounted on a 350 4x4 and has the extensions. He probably weighs almost 150lb counting a cold can in his hand. He is the one who sold me on the idea!

porthole

Retired
Since the new truck has this built in I don't need one, but of all the ideas I looked at before, the Amp step that Jim pointed to looked to be the best bang for the buck.

The Factory ford option though works great, and takes up little room. And although not useful for pole dancing, the assist arm is a welcome addition that I don't use all the time, but when I do I am glad it is there.

Speedy

I've had my Stepdaddy for over a year now and the only trouble I've had with it was the locking pin on the handle assembly seized up and wouldn't lock the handle in the upright position. I called the Mfg and the owner set me a new handle assembly and I returned the defective one (they paid for all shipping). I'm very pleased with it and use it all the time. I have ordered an extra rung for my because I have the leg extentions as well making the last step a little taller/deeper.

Regarding the weight issue: yes it adds quite abit more weight to the tailgate (30 lbs.) but I had already added a tailgate gas spring that prevents the tailgate from dropping down too fast. Closing the tailgate is tougher but because it is so high it use an arm and a shoulder to close it.

I can post pictures when I get home tonight.

lwmcguir

"And although not useful for pole dancing"

Some folks are always thinking out of the box, I like that

Also like my Ford step. Lot handier than I thought it would be. Especially in windy or wet weather.

porthole

Retired
"And although not useful for pole dancing"

Some folks are always thinking out of the box, I like that

Also like my Ford step. Lot handier than I thought it would be. Especially in windy or wet weather.

And have you noticed that with the step down, the flap out, it makes a perfect seat for tailgating - and there is a flat spot for either lefty's or righty's to park their favorite beverage on the tailgate?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One of the things I liked about the Debo step is the ability to get up without having to lower the tailgate. Sometimes ya just need a quick up to reach something back there. Just another thought.:)