Portable Surge Guard

drzr

If I ran 30 amp cord from pedestal through hole in UDS and short cord from plug on trailer also through hole in UDC having all this in basement storage and plugged into Surge protector. Would this be a problem in any way?

jnbhobe

If I ran 30 amp cord from pedestal through hole in UDS and short cord from plug on trailer also through hole in UDC having all this in basement storage and plugged into Surge protector. Would this be a problem in any way?

I wouldn't want my electric cord laying in the UDC with the water hose there with it.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you cut a hole in the UDC wall and run the 30amp cord through the hole and plug the portable surge protector in away from the water, it would be less suceptable to water intrusion.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
But it's OK to leave the suppressor and the cord plugs hanging outside in the elements. My only concern is that it will get awfully tight in the UDC if you do that. If you're worried about a hose leak, get a large ziploc baggie and make a hood for the attachment, with the opening at the bottom. Tape the hole you cut for the cord to enter and you should be fine.

Or sell the portable and get a hardwired suppressor installed in a dry, accessible location in the basement. Then no worries about it growing feet.

drzr

Thanks all and I totally agree with Johndar water is not supposed to be an issue and yes my concern is walking feet, but I suppose a hard wire would eliminate that concern. Again thanks!

PeternLiane

I'm new to some of the terminology, What is the UDS and UDC? I've seen UDC on a couple of different posts and have been wondering.

drzr

I'm new to some of the terminology, What is the UDS and UDC? I've seen UDC on a couple of different posts and have been wondering.
My bad should be UDC and not UDS. I am totally new to RVing as this is our first fifth wheel. I too have wondered about the acronyms, in fact had been planning to post thread asking what they all meant; DW, DH and on and no. To answer UDC this is where your water and etc hook up out of the way in one central place, I think I recall it meaning Universal Docking Center. Maybe someone will post a 101 acronym list. 1AL! One al... Lol...laughing out loud

PeternLiane

//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Category:Glossary_Terms

up above on the tool bar found it. Thank you. There is another list on google.

I use aportable surge guard with a locking hasp attached to the outside power source. Never had an issue in 4 years. Just buy a quality lock and you’re good.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use aportable surge guard with a locking hasp attached to the outside power source. Never had an issue in 4 years. Just buy a quality lock and you’re good.

If you move around a lot, a portable is probably the way to go. We are primarily on a seasonal site for the summer and are away from the rig for a week or more at a time. Whatever makes you feel secure, but I haven't met a retail padlock that a pair of bolt cutters wouldn't open.

CactusTwo

Seems that if the surging in power is dangerous and could fry the wires....and the wires before the surge protector are inside the rig and they fry, would that not be a fire issue inside your rig. Locking it onto the power post seems to be the best fire protection for you

branson4020

Icantre Member
Seems that if the surging in power is dangerous and could fry the wires....and the wires before the surge protector are inside the rig and they fry, would that not be a fire issue inside your rig. Locking it onto the power post seems to be the best fire protection for you

A power surge will not "fry wires" (well, maybe if its a direct lighting strike.) Circuit breakers will trip long before that happens. What will fry are your electronics, television, microwave, refer control board and converter.

CactusTwo

I guess it depends on what you want to protect, $20 coffee maker? put it at the coffee maker. Whole investment of the rig, put it at the post....rig power cords aren't cheap either. You've forked out for an expensive surge protector, buy a lock and chain and protect it ALL
Len

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have a Progressive Dynamics 50 amp portable and just lock it to the pedestal. We have been using it for over 6 years that way and have not yet had any problems. Do you put your chairs up at night, or your bicycles? At some point we just have to trust that our precautions are adequate.