Replaced Tires And Wheels

fndrbndr

I replaced my 15" with 16". Found some wheels that are 16" with 6 lugs. Put new tires on TV and put old ones one 5vr. Tires only had 10000 miles on them. Thay are 245/75/16E. Had to do a little triming on the finder skirts. Looks better and will give me peace of mind.
Heres where I found the wheels http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...product/AW1603

fndrbndr

Why not. Tires made for a trailer are rated at 65 mph. Tires rated for a TV are rated higher. I feel safer with tires that are for a TV because they are made better in my opinion.

A tire maker will make a better tire for a TV because more is at stake.

If you blow a trailer tire about all that will happen is you will tear up you trailer

If you blow a tire on your TV most likely you will most likely crash and some people will want to sue the mfg of the tire.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Talk to a tire retailer (one who really knows his business) about the difference between ST and RT tires.

Niles

I agree you're looking for trouble with TV tires on TT, the TV tires are not made to scoot around corners and will seperate.

nhunter

For starters trailer tires have rounded treads on shoulder to skid when being pulled sideways and t.v. tires are square putting extra stress in spindles. And lots of other good reasons too. Do a google search or ask your tire shop. Speed rating has little to do with it.

ChopperBill

A gazillion folks are putting LT tires on in place of ST tires. Post after post of exploding or tread throwing ST tires. GOOD LT tires on a trailer is all that I will run on mine. The side walls on my Michelin's are many, many times better than the china bombs I took off. Will add my TV goes around just as many corners as the trailer and I never had one fail doing that. Check out those black marks on the pavement after you have been maneuvering to hook up. Those are the TV tires under a LOT of strain. I think ya did good fndrbndr considering the junk most RV manufactures are putting on now days. Happy camping!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
ChopperBill said:
A gazillion folks are putting LT tires on in place of ST tires. Post after post of exploding or tread throwing ST tires. GOOD LT tires on a trailer is all that I will run on mine. The side walls on my Michelin's are many, many times better than the china bombs I took off. Will add my TV goes around just as many corners as the trailer and I never had one fail doing that. Check out those black marks on the pavement after you have been maneuvering to hook up. Those are the TV tires under a LOT of strain. I think ya did good fndrbndr considering the junk most RV manufactures are putting on now days. Happy camping!

I would have to agree with this and I will be putting LT Michelin's Ribs on my 5er shortly. If anyone can find a reputable ST-- E rated tire that's not Chinese or Korean made let me know and will consider. Ken

fndrbndr

I'm glad I'm not the only one here that feels the same way I do about the LT tires vs ST tires. If better tires were available in a ST then that is what I would use. Until then I will only run LT on my 5er.

jpmorgan37

Rog;
I know, I have them on my coach. I thought the designation RST designates that it is a Radial ST (which in my case is "Slow Traveller") Actually, I don't know for sure what it means (yet), but I'm sure someone will let me know.
John

Uncle Rog

jp, you are right again, I was refering to the LT in the size, of course the GY's are ST tires......

ChopperBill

Great site! Taken from it:
"Generally, the ST tire also has somewhat stiffer sidewalls, especially in its lower section. This reduces sidewall flexing, helping it to track straighter and diminish the risk of trailer sway. The stiffer sides also lessen the risk of sidewall blowout."

Ah! But the junk that came with my RV had side walls as soft as butter. :eek: I have no idea where those China tires can come up with a safety rating good enough for our trailers.

Uncle Rog

Chopper, the Freestars they are using now appear to be a better tire even with their Chicom origin.......

C

Chulinw

I still feel strongly that the rv industry should put better tires on the units that they build. I would be very happy to pay an extra $100.00 per tire if I could get a very good quality tire. This would help each and everyone that has to purchase new tires at the cost of $1200.00 within a year after you purchase the rv. JMO

vangoes

Chulinw,
I agree 100% with you. Just the thought of sitting on the side of the road changing a tire with semi's zooming by at 70 mphs is not very comforting.

khd995

What about Maxxis tires, I have run them for years on different trailers and never had a problem. check some of the rv forums, maxxis seems to have a good rep.

I personally won't run an LT tire because they are not made for that application.

Everyone has the choice to roll the dice and take your chances. To each his own, good luck on whatever tire you use.