Landmark Key Largo

branson4020

Icantre Member
Would those out there with similar rigs please chime in here with your pin weights? I'm guessing 3500 lbs or more?

mikeandconnie

I'm guessing the pin is 3200 lbs if you stay below the 16250 GVWR.
Steve their are people towing heavy rigs with airbags, However, adding your fuel and passagers you will well exceed your legal payload for a 2500. Here is some helpful information you need to read. http://fifthwheelst.com/ There are many treads on this subject on the forum. Do your homework before you buy.

Birchwood

You will exceed the GVWR of a 3/4 ton truck.The GVWR of a 2500 is between 9000 and 10000 lbs
and the vehicle weight will be between 7000 and 8000 lbs.I went through this when I tried to
make a 3/4 ton a tow vehicle for my Pinehurst.Sold the 3/4 ton and purchased a 1 ton dually
for only $7000 more.

danemayer

There are many threads on this forum asking the same question. The answers fall into 2 groups:

1. The pulling capacity of the 3/4 ton diesel is often the same as the 1 ton truck, so you should be able to pull the trailer.
But the payload capacity of the 3/4 ton is far less than the 1 ton truck and you will be overloaded on the rear axle. There are various interpretations of what it means to be overloaded; i.e. safety/handling issues and excessive wear and tear on the truck.

2. Anecdotal responses along the lines of "I've been doing it for years without any problems."

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We pulled our Grand Canyon for a year with a "beefed up" (extra spring package) 2008 Ford250 3/4 ton. It pulled just fine and even ran level with no rear end squat from the pin weight. HOWEVER, I never felt safe and secure. The combo wiggled some after big bumps and in high winds. We bought an F350 dually in November and we can feel the difference. Smoother, more stabile ride, and well within payload limits. And there's the bonus of increased mental assurance also.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I own a Key Largo and I am SO GLAD that I went with the F350 Dully. It pulls great. If your buying such a nice rig, go for the gusto and get the right truck to pull it.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I just got my 2012 Key Largo and I traded my 2010 F250 SD for a 2012 F350 SD DRW truck. I was over weight on the rear axle by about 1000# and overweight on the GCWR by over 500#. My F350 DRW truck has a GCWR of 30000# and the RAWR is 9000 #. It tows great and I feel much more secure. Not saying the F250 was not safe or legal or whatever, but I know the F350 DRW truck tows and feels so much better. Ken

mmomega

AnyTimer
I own a Key Largo as well and for the first 4 months I towed it with my '07 F350 SRW 4X4. Not long after I went and bought an '11 F350 DRW 4X4 and it was literally like night and day while traveling down the road. I have no doubt that physically a 250 could tow it but I can say I would definitely not want to do it more than I absolutely had to. Technically it is too much trailer for the truck but almost everyone knows someone that "has been doing it for years with no problems". Even in the SRW 350 it always felt more like the trailer was more in control.
I have airbags, programmer, etc, etc, etc on the '07 and the dually is completely stock. I know I will not go back to towing a heavy 5'er with a SRW again. No reason to.