2011 Road Warrior 30C - Need Advice!!!!!

Texxags

I’m looking to buy the Road Warrior 30C, I have a 2011 6.7 Ford F350 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab. My main concern is the Truck Big enough to handle the 30C (with the new nose design) I’ve heard the pin weight more in the 3k+ range. I’m not using the toy hauler as a normal toy hauler. I’m using the toy box for the kids to have their own room that we can close off J. (Maybe someday I will buy a toy ….golf cart). But right now I will not be hauling a toy. Will the back of the truck be slammed/crushed due to the extra heavy pin. Also would this set up have the wiggle in the trailer hence I don’t have a dully. And the extra weight of a toy to balance the trailer out. Can some of you that have this unit give me some advice. THANKS in advance!

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi Texxags,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure some of our folks that have that unit will be on soon to help with information.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Texxags

Also do I need to go with a Super glide fifth wheel hitch? I was thinking of installing a 18K Pullrite super glide fifth wheel. any advice on this?

PUG

Pug
You should have plenty of truck. I pulled a 3950 toy hauler with a 3/4 ton chev duramax srw but bought a dually ram 3500 and it made a huge difference. The 30 is much lighter.

Texxags

You should have plenty of truck. I pulled a 3950 toy hauler with a 3/4 ton chev duramax srw but bought a dually ram 3500 and it made a huge difference. The 30 is much lighter.

The 41' did not sway your TV? Do you think I need the super glide hitch?

Walkerstv

Comparing weights from my 2011 3010 to your 30C I was amazed at how much heavier the 30C pin weight is rated:

3010 = 2300 lbs
30C = 2900 lbs

No wonder you are concerned. Depending on wheel base and other options the maximum cargo rating for the 2011 6.7 F350 is 3200 lbs.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/11FLMRVTT_SuperDtyNov18.pdf

Fill up with water and you'll be way over the truck's rating... without some airbags on the truck or serious weight in the garage you may find on-coming traffic flashing high beams at you while driving at night.

As for the hitch, I recently went from a reese 20K slider in a 2008 srw F350 to the under-bed mount/factory installed 25K fixed position reese hitch in a 2011 srw F350... Never once needed the slider and the 2011 F350 handles my trailer almost like it wasn't there. The torque from the new 6.7 diesel is nearly unbelievable and the truck and trailer are very stable. No more drivers flashing high beams at us and best of all there are no more complaints about chucking from the DW as we drive down the road.

Since you are not maxing out the 5th wheel tow rating I would consider increasing cargo capacity before hitting the open road. Hope you enjoy your new trailer as much as we enjoy ours!

Texxags

I know of a lot of folks, said it should no problem. But I want to be safe as possible; (with my new rv and family) I just bought a new F350 SRW before we decided to look at a new Travel Trailer. If I would have only known, I would have bought a DRW.

Would air bags help make the 30C pull better and be more stable?
I’m also running Michelin’s LT275/65R20

truknutt

Committed Member
I know of a lot of folks, said it should no problem. But I want to be safe as possible; (with my new rv and family) I just bought a new F350 SRW before we decided to look at a new Travel Trailer. If I would have only known, I would have bought a DRW.

Since you say you want to be as safe as possible, use this calculator and plug in your pertinent numbers. Use the maximum weights allowed and you'll soon see if you are as safe as possible.

Air bags never make a truck pull better, they aid in the handling. Air bags should never be used to solely increase your weight allowances.

taken

I have Firestone bags in my truck, an 09 F250 with the 350 block upgrade. My last rv, a travel trailer with a 1400 lb tongue weight didn't need the bags by itself. When I added my atv carrier 300lbs, two atv's 1800lbs, and two Honda eu2000 generators 100lbs, I was at 3600 lbs on the truck. The bags act like a helper spring when loaded keeping you level, preventing bottoming, and stabilizing you at speed and in corners. They are a great addition when at or over gvwr. Drove one handed most of the time the setup felt so secure. You will be perfectly safe with a 30c behind your 350 with bags. Remember, this trailers nose was built for a shortbed truck and you can't get a shortbed with drw anymore from Ford anymore. Considering that, they built the 30c with you in mind! ;) Seriously though, you will be fine!

taken

It was rumored that this was to change for the 2012 model year, though I don't see anything yet.

Actually, they dropped it on 2009. Chevy/GMC have dropped it as well. Only on a Dodge Mega Cab can you still have a short bed dually.

Last edited:

frmtmo

Most trucks give you a towing weight... we have a 3/4 ton chevrolet silverado and it does pretty good but we have a bike and a golf cart. And Im not sure what the 30c is but I do know we upped the equip in the truck so it floats better...

porthole

Retired
Most trucks give you a towing weight... we have a 3/4 ton chevrolet silverado and it does pretty good but we have a bike and a golf cart. And Im not sure what the 30c is but I do know we upped the equip in the truck so it floats better...

We "had" a GMC 2500HD, and tow a golf cart and bike in the trailer.
And now we "have" a 1 ton with DRW.

Although the GMC seemed to handle the load OK with the addition of air bags, it was an eye opener when I weighed the truck and trailer. And although the engine and trans were the same between the 2500/3500 SRW and 3500 DRW, the truck was being taxed to the max traversing some of the grades we encountered going south to Nashville along the 81 corridor and coming back across south western PA.

That trip started a search for a truck that matched the trailer.

porthole

Retired
Actually, they dropped it on 2009. Chevy/GMC have dropped it as well. Only on a Dodge Mega Cab can you still have a short bed dually.

There were several "ford" folks on the various truck forums that suggested it would be forthcoming again. This year Ford added the 5th wheel hitch prep on the short beds, a step in that direction.

taken

There were several "ford" folks on the various truck forums that suggested it would be forthcoming again. This year Ford added the 5th wheel hitch prep on the short beds, a step in that direction.

Yes, the hitch prep is great. Works with the standard Reese Elite hitch as that's basically what it is.