Hitch

C

Charles_c

After spending a great deal of time on the RV Forum studing hitches I am more confused now than when I started! What is the best hitch for pulling a Landmark?
:confused:

jbeletti

Charles,

I will be brave and start off the responses to this one but I won't be able to state which is "best" as that varies by individual and needs.

I can tell you these facts:

- Jeff and I both have long bed duallies and we use the Reese 15k Pro with no problems. I would not go lower than a 15k rating but probably no downside to going higher (except cost and weight)

- If you are towing with a short box truck, then a slide hitch is strongly suggested by most people

- If you want a clean/flush bed when your hitch is out, instead of having surface mounted rails like we do, then consider the "turn-over ball" style that accommodates a 5th wheel hitch. I think there are at least 2 of them out there. I suspect the are quite spendy in comparison but if you really need a flat floor - it may be worth it

That all said, you just need to do your own needs assesment:
- Max pull weight
- Max hitch/pin weight
- Bed mounting style desired (rails vs. turn-over ball)
- Slider or no-slider (short box vs. long box)

After you know what you "need", my guess is that most products falling in your needs range will be more alike than different.

Best of luck and please do share with the group what you select and how you like it.

Jim

C

Charles_c

Jim,

I know from the Open Roads forum everyone has their own "BEST" of whatever. That is why I decided to post here, I figured that the people already pulling my trailer would have a better handle on what is best for the Landmark. I did not feel that I would, being new, would remember to get out and make adjustments prior to making a turn or backing.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Hi Charles
As with everyone else, the best hitch may not be one you like. I pull a Grand Canyon with a Chev 3500 dually, long bed, diesel of course. I am using a Pull Rite Super Glide. If you pull with a short bed this one really is great. It is a llittle more expensive than manual slides but well worth it. Give it a look. If you tow with a long bed, I recently saw one that left your bed completely flat when removed. The Super Glide does this also, but requires two people to remove it. I believe the name of this other hitch is called the Companion. Good luck.

muddyduck

hitch choice

hi charles, I went with the Draw-tite signature 24k that has the under bed frame mount. It uses four independant cam locking feet that meet in the middle on both sides to lock it in. I have a dodge ram 3500 and I also purchased a new item for pulling gooseneck trailers as i plan to do some commerical work in the future. By the way, Draw-tite is part of Reese and the unit has a swivel head for off level hook up. good luck on the search..gary

Tom of Ypsi

I have the Reese 20K, more than enough but I wanted to make sure I had enugh. I do not think a sliding hitch will be necessary with the Trail Air hitch pin since the hitch is extended.

BluegrassMan

Hitches

Hi Guy's I just traded my other fiver in on a new Landmark, I already had a Reese 20K "Rocker" in my 8ft. bed. My dealer is about 130 miles from the house, all the way home I kept an eye on that Trail-Air hitch. "SWEEET"! Some places on I-81 in Pa. it's like going down a flite of stairs. It rode very nice, only when you get to your destination, back the brake way off !!! It makes the trailer dip when you touch the brake ( felt kinda weird ).

Does anyone have the Standard Trail-Air for Long beds ? Mine came with the long hitch for a 6' bed, I find that It makes the trailer set back another foot or so. The factory said they are putting these on ALL units now. I have a terrible 90 degree left turn to get in my driveway, this just aggravates the problem of trying to stay out of ma neighbor's front yard!

What Say You ?:confused:

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Hey Bluegrass man
Heartland puts the trail air on all of the Landmark fivers, that way you don't need a sllider if you own a short bed. You can check on trail airs web site and see if they sell a different one or check with Scott at Heartland, he may know.

glenn

BluegrassMan

Hi Fireflipper:

I talked to Scott about my hitch as soon as my trailer came in. he said that is the only one that they are installing NOW. When I saw the Landmark at the RV show in September @ Harrisburg Pa. The Grand Canyon had the 8' bed hitch on it. Which I thought I would get, when I got mine it hadthe 6' hitch on it.

You really should have a CHOICE for 80+ Grand. Period. I'm thinking of getting another hitch while I have this truck, it's a lot of $$$ for another hitch. I LIKE a short hitch box, you should see my drive way. You would think HE gets that thing in and out of there!!!!!:eek: Thanks for the get back. Denny