DISH Network Tailgater w/ Vip211K Receiver

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We have DISH and the Vip211K receiver already so I only had to purchase the Dish. Got it today so I grabbed the receiver out of the back bedroom and went to the 5er to see how it works. This thing works great! I had this up and going in no time flat. Spent longer waiting on the guide to download than it took to hook it up. I'm very impressed with it. I have been using a winguard carry out, manual setup and I'm already spoiled.

PeternLiane

Jealous, I would love to have satellite TV in the TT. Some day when we can afford it it'll happen. Sounds like it went together without a hitch. It'll be a great enjoyment on those days when you need it.

wdk450

Jealous, I would love to have satellite TV in the TT. Some day when we can afford it it'll happen. Sounds like it went together without a hitch. It'll be a great enjoyment on those days when you need it.

PaternLiane:
Having satellite TV doesn't have to cost that much. I use Dish network at home and take the box from home with me on trailer trips. I bought a spare dish and tripod for about $100, and have a compass and inexpensive meter for aiming. If I have problems, I simply hookup the bedroom TV in the storage compartment and aim the dish using the setup aiming screen. It's not super simple or super hard. People have been doing it this way for YEARS!!!

pegmikef

I have had the Tailgater and vip211k receiver since last summer and love it. I bought them both online since I have a different cable service at the house. I use their RV package which is month to month (right now I have it turned off since we're not going anywhere until Feb). As Rex said it is super simple to set up as long as you can figure out where south is and you know what state you are in. I have used it all over Texas and New Mexico with no problems at all. I particularly like the fact that it does all the work finding the satellites.

dewwood

Those that have the tailgater, how do you secure it so that it does not walk away? Do you chain it to a tree or whatever is close enough? I just wandered because I know you have to clear the treeline for a shot at the southern sky.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Those that have the tailgater, how do you secure it so that it does not walk away? Do you chain it to a tree or whatever is close enough? I just wandered because I know you have to clear the treeline for a shot at the southern sky.

Hey Dewwood,

I have the tailgater and use a 20 foot aircraft cable with looped ends, one end around stablizer and other end to dish....added a extra gun lock (lock with 6" cable loop) which I have on the sat dish handle....... I hook
the aircraft cable to this with padlock. This is not fort knox theft proof, but they will either have to break the dish handle or have heavy duty cable cutters.

Boy, with that discription it woulda be easier to post a picture! :rolleyes:

We do love the tailgater setup.....easy!!

pegmikef

Hey Dewwood,

I have the tailgater and use a 20 foot aircraft cable with looped ends, one end around stablizer and other end to dish....added a extra gun lock (lock with 6" cable loop) which I have on the sat dish handle....... I hook
the aircraft cable to this with padlock. This is not fort knox theft proof, but they will either have to break the dish handle or have heavy duty cable cutters.

I use basically the same method except I have a 30 foot cable to give me a little more range. So far it has been plenty long. The coax cable that comes with the Tailgater is fifty feet. There is a hasp type affair under the handle that can be used for a lock. Usually this type of security is primarily to keep honest folks honest.

JerryBarger

I have 2011 Heartland Landmark and I just bought the tailgater and contacted dish and they tell me that I have to hook up the tailgater to the 211K instead of going through the camper? Has anyone ran into this? Is there a way to run the cable in the camper

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Hi JerryBarger,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Don't know what you mean by "instead of going through the camper". There are connections in the UDC for satellite dish use.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have 2011 Heartland Landmark and I just bought the tailgater and contacted dish and they tell me that I have to hook up the tailgater to the 211K instead of going through the camper? Has anyone ran into this? Is there a way to run the cable in the camper

I am watching mine rite now. Hooked thru the trailer hook up in the UDC.

I'm sending you a PM.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
just ordered one and will have it for our first trip in April to Gulf Shores. Have heard nothing but good things about the Tailgater and we are really looking forward to getting it

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
This morning, I had to restart the system. I lost one of the two satellites for some reason so I held the receiver power button for 10 seconds and restarted the receiver. It went back through the setup and everything is OK now.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Question for those who currently have the tailgater... I have been told that you need the 211k receiver because it supplies 110 voltage required to operate the sat receiver (positioning motor) in the same cable that the signal uses. My question is... is the cable just regular coax? I need to install the sat cable inlet / outlet in the trailer and want to make sure I use the correct type of cable. Thanks!

MTPockets

Question for those who currently have the tailgater... I have been told that you need the 211k receiver because it supplies 110 voltage required to operate the sat receiver (positioning motor) in the same cable that the signal uses. My question is... is the cable just regular coax? I need to install the sat cable inlet / outlet in the trailer and want to make sure I use the correct type of cable. Thanks!

Regular coax... same cable as with cable TV

pegmikef

and it comes with a fifty-foot coax. I just ran another coax cable and installed a separate outlet in the trailer

wdk450

It has to be RG6 cable not just plain ole coax. It has to be able to push power to the dish from the receiver to run the motor that moves it around and power the LNB.

RG-6 SHOULD be used for ALL Satellite coax connections because it has less reduction (attenuation) of the super high satellite signal frequencies than does regular tv RG-59 coax.

At (Quiet) Black Butte COE Campground near Orland, Ca.

Last edited by a moderator: