Exposed valves freezing

kcour2006

Hey everyone, looking for some insight, ideas or and help.

This past weekend we went "winter" camping. Temps dipped to the low 20's. So, not badbut the Grey and black valves froze shut. A little hair dryer action and all is good...

But the question remains, how can we camp with out those valves freezing? I definitely think its need more gap "filler" to help keep cold air out... What else?

Also the exposed fresh water drain valve froze ideas there would be great!

Thoughts?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
What type of rig do you have? Were you running the furnace during your trip? How low did the temps get?

Heartland's advertising says good to 0 degrees, but that seems to be for inside comfort. You should have a heated and enclosed underbelly, but when temps get into the teens, this may not be enough to keep things from freezing. We added Ultraheat pipe heaters and tank heaters, wrapped all pipes in the underbelly, adjusted the low point drain location, added a better vent to the underbelly for the furnace, added a 100watt-reflected shop light aimed behind the UDC and added foam sealant to any gaps/holes in the frame. About $800 total, and 4 weekends to get it done. We did this because we expected temps below freezing and possibly below zero, when we go skiing. (Breckenridge this year!)

Tell us more about your rig and circumstances, we'll try to help!

Erika

jpajax

If it is a Big Horn like I had you need to get a small heater with a fan, fasten it to the floor behind the wall in the baggage compartment face it toward the docking station just make sure it is not close to anything, turn it down as low as it will go, pull the wire out into the baggage compartment and plug it in and in the summer you can just unplug it. By doing this it will be controlled by the thermostat and you can run a electric heater in the living area to save your propane. I done this and have been out in temps in low teens. Just make sure that you take the hose that goes to camper off and drain it.

kcour2006

This past weekend we went "winter" camping. Temps dipped to the low 20's. So, not badbut the Grey and black valves froze shut. A little hair dryer action and all is good...

But the question remains, how can we camp with out those valves freezing? I definitely think its need more gap "filler" to help keep cold air out... What else?

Thoughts?

ADDED INFO:
Rig: 26LRSS, Trailer
Covered bottom but not heated from what I can tell.
We (the lady) kept inside temps around 65 degrees. Outside was 10 degrees.
Some one said to initially flush and/or drain antifreeze before running water-thoughts?

Any info to help prevent future issues would be great!

kcour2006

Went to the recent RV show here, discussed the issue with the North Trail rep.
Here's his input. If valves are exposed the have a chance to freeze.
Foam should have been sprayed around gray and black valves, so that may be a warranty claim to fix! I yahoo and good for you North trail.

He also suggested that pouring antifreeze before using the tanks is ideal. Also mentioned heat tape!
I'm takingthese suggestions and running with them later next month!

Thanks everyone for your input...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pouring antifreeze into the gray and black tanks may help, but remember that it's miscible with water so as you use the tanks, it will be diluted. What might have started out as -20F protection starts rising as you dilute it. Whatever you do, don't pour it into the fresh water tank unless you want to spend a lot of time over the black tank.

kcour2006

Pouring antifreeze into the gray and black tanks may help, but remember that it's miscible with water so as you use the tanks, it will be diluted. What might have started out as -20F protection starts rising as you dilute it. Whatever you do, don't pour it into the fresh water tank unless you want to spend a lot of time over the black tank.

Black tank joke - love it! :eek:
I agree it will certainly dilute and will have to just add more or dump before the night gets too cold!

kcour2006

Thoughts?

A quick update:
Took the trailer in to get the warranty issues repaired and mentioned the freezing valves! I they added spray foam to the surrounding area! I am testing out using more antifreeze in a couple weeks! Still cold and snowing in Colorado, so stay tuned to our progress!
Thanks for the input everyone!

PeternLiane

A quick update:
Took the trailer in to get the warranty issues repaired and mentioned the freezing valves! I they added spray foam to the surrounding area! I am testing out using more antifreeze in a couple weeks! Still cold and snowing in Colorado, so stay tuned to our progress!
Thanks for the input everyone!

Can't wait to hear more.