hot water heater thermostat

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I need to replace this what is the suggested thermostat temperature..

There is no "suggested," it has only one pre-set temperature. This is from the Suburban manual found in the Tools section tab. Usually it's not the thermostat that gets fried, but the electric heating element. Costs less than $20 or so. Did you turn it on without water in the tank?

The thermostat on your water heater is not adjustable. It is a temperature
sensing limit designed to maintain a water temperature of 130°F (54°C).
Water temperatures over 125°F (49°C) can cause severe burns instantly
or death from scalds; therefore, be careful when using hot water.

jimtoo

Hi wscheer,

I don't think I have ever heard of someone needing to replace a thermostat in a water heater. Which one is out, propane or electric. I think they have one for each. I am pretty sure if electric, then there is a reset switch behind the black cover that you just push on. This is link to Suburban Manual on the forum. Also you show to have a 2012 model, is it still in warranty?

Also, if you turned on the electric without water in the heater, you probably burned out the heating element, not the thermostat.

Let us know what you do.

Jim M

John is to quick...:)

Last edited:

wscheer

hi jim i had to replace the thermostat (electric). i will check on any warranty. heating element is ok...thanks for the response

walt

jimtoo

Hi Walt,

Thanks for letting us know. I don't think I have ever heard of a thermostat going bad....I know it could happen.. just not very often I guess.

Thanks
Jim M